Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Tile in basement
janeyann99
December 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have created a wet bar/kitchenette in my basement. It is next to the walk-out door. We would like to tile the area around the door with an area for shoes to keep things cleaner. Our plan is to use tile that looks like wood.

The issue in question is whether or not we should put tile around the wet bar/kitchenette. If we do so, should we make a large rectangular area of tile (from the door all the way down)? Or, should we make a rectangle around the door that connects with the tile around the wet bar that is 36" or so. This would result in an "L" shape of tile. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jayme H.
Wondering how big the room is and if u will use that kitchen a lot for messy things: ie: washable floor needed. If the room isn't very big, I am wondering if bringing the flooring all the way across the room would make it look choppy and odd. If it's a larger room, it could work fine to bring the tile all the way across.
December 26, 2012 at 3:28PM   
janeyann99
This is part of a large rec room. I anticipate that things will get messy when the microwave is in and the kids spend more time there. Excuse the clutter!
December 26, 2012 at 6:47PM     
PRO
LM Designers
I would put in the tile from the door across the front of the kitchenette. You have a fridge there and that looks weird to me on carpet. Take some large pieces of cardboard and lay it out on the floor to see what looks most pleasing as far as the amount of tile and where. I would think the door area would be thinner connecting to the bar area which would be wider but not a huge hunk of tile.
December 26, 2012 at 6:54PM   
Jayme H.
area does seem too small to designate a tiled kitchen/entry area. I guess if it were me I would take the suggestion to use cardboard or some material to visualize the area with a different floor covering. I am thinking straight across from the door vs. a 3 ft. strip near kitchenette would look better.
December 26, 2012 at 7:13PM   
collettec
You might consider tiling the whole floor if want a more cohesive look and want tile around the kitchen, with an area rug in the living space area. If want to divide it, since the posts are stationary and appear to be a visual divider between the entry and kitchen area and the tv viewing area, that might be the area to use as the place to divide between carpeting and flooring. Perhaps some type of a border tile for the changeover that could be where the posts are.
December 26, 2012 at 7:42PM   
PRO
Ralston Decorating Group
It doesnt seem to be enough space to separate the two spaces, I would tile the entire space, it may cost you a bit more, but, in the long run, you will be happier, besides, there are some porcelain tiles which are fairly inexpensive and easy to maintain. Pick a nice color and make it focal, so that the eye will go right to the floor and ignore somewhat the ceiling height.
December 26, 2012 at 8:24PM     
Jayme H.
I don't recommend tile in rec room with kids and dishes unless dishes and glasses are plastic. Kids lay, roll around and play on rec room floors. Espec. if you are up North, carpet is warmer as well esp. in basements. Tile is beautiful and could be done throughout if you have the time and $. If I did that I would cover large areas with area rugs since u mentioned there are kids. I still think there is room to do some tile...again, lay out cardboard and go from there.
December 27, 2012 at 1:17PM   
janeyann99
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions! I am definitely going to try the idea of the cardboard. I am leaning toward a rectangle of tile from the door all the way down. We discussed tiling the entire area. We have decided against it since that area in front of the couch is where the Wii and Xbox are and the kids use the floor there a lot. Thanks again!
December 28, 2012 at 3:04AM