Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas for dead space in kitchen
dsign79
December 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if I can get some advice and ideas on what to do with this area. The dimensions are (70" wide, 13" deep). Beside this space is the kitchen island (you can see part of it in the photo). I've thought of putting a console table there with a painting over top, but its pretty tough to find a console table that's only 13" deep. In the future, I would like a few bar stools by the island.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Kitchen & Bath Design Service
A built-in hutch would look great there. It could match the kitchen cabinets or contrast them. Also, a custom cabinet shop could make you a 13" deep buffet if that is all the storage you need. Bench seat would work, too or 12" deep tall pantries. How about a dry bar?
December 26, 2012 at 7:30PM     
yvesun
a slim line desk with a single drawer with a tuck away bench and you could add floating shelves above as well.
December 26, 2012 at 7:40PM   
Darzy
How about floating shelves? Depending on your style, this could be for cookbooks, pretty dishes, etc. Or a wine collection and glasses. You can style it to fit your needs and make this dead space "useful".
portfolio
Greenlake 1920's Home Remodel
December 26, 2012 at 7:44PM     
apennameandthata
Built in shelves. Or a really big picture of me.
December 26, 2012 at 8:33PM     
PRO
Ralston Decorating Group
It seems to me, your house is clutter-free, otherwise, you would have already packed that area with something. I dont think spending money on built-ins or things of that sort, would be the answer, especially since you are planning on getting bar stools. If, you dont need the storage or the sitting bench suggested, which seems to me would not work ( you need at least 3' between the two furnishings to walk around ), I would hang a nice painting/picture and leave it alone. Just because you have an opening, does not mean, you have to dress it. You could do a collage of family pictures posting your wedding picture on the center top of the arrangement and cascade the pictures of the family as it has evolved over time, its a great conversational item, especially when you get the bar stools, if you do so, make sure, the barstools swivel.
December 26, 2012 at 8:35PM     
karelina
I like Ralston's idea, though I might add a tall potted plant in the corner with the pix.
December 26, 2012 at 9:03PM   
homegrown4
You could use IKEA floating shelves of various sizes to make a bar wall. Add accessories under and over shelves posters of old liquor ads keep floor clear clutter will narrow space. Good conversation item.
December 26, 2012 at 9:16PM   
dsign79
Thank you for all your feedback and creativity! We've been in our house since March and we're trying to keep things clean and simple. The floating shelves is a neat idea and I'll look into this. I'll try and post a photo once its complete!
December 26, 2012 at 9:39PM   
PRO
RNW Construction
As a starter, try adding a stone (or wood) counter which is curved and that extends out the 13" you need. This can be mounted to ledger strips on the wall or, even better floating the counter be use of steel extending from inside the wall. You can also use wall brackets to help keep costs down. After that you can place a mirror or floating shelves above. A mirror in that alcove would be a killer reflecting back the kitchen view.
December 26, 2012 at 9:51PM   
Darzy
I think this is a great spot for a wow feature. If the floating shelves didn't "do it" for you, I think a simple solution is a BIG art statement piece. Check this original art at reasonable price...

December 26, 2012 at 10:02PM     
olldroo
I hate open shelving in kitchens because of the grimy dust it attracts. What about painting the alcove a feature colour and adding a whiteboard for messages, reminders, recipes, etc. A blackboard would work also but I don't like the chalkdust. If you haven't guesed, I don't like housework!!
December 26, 2012 at 10:47PM     
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hello

floating shelves is a gr8 idea.
you can have pictures/artefacts/paintings/ photos etc on it to make it look good
or or

have a nice big mural there like a Buddha statue or horse etc

regards
December 26, 2012 at 11:12PM   
PRO
WineRacks.com
That definitely would be a nice space for wine racks if you happen to enjoy wine. Our standard wine racks are 12 3/8 so they would fit in there nicely. You could then hang a picture above the racks
December 28, 2012 at 8:40AM     
michalin
You can turn this wall into 'family wall' and put big pics of the family members. Also you can put some shelfs to storage somethings on them ir a little table close to the wall for decoration
December 28, 2012 at 8:55AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Darzys idea of shelves is what I would do if it were in my house.
December 28, 2012 at 8:59AM     
Kate
if you prefer clean and simple, I would hang a large piece of artwork - something punchy - abstract probably - and call it a day :)
December 28, 2012 at 9:03AM   
PRO
R J Hoppe Inc
Keep the circulation around your island in mind, it seams that the space may be tight in the picture. Having said that, skys the limit. Custom bookcase, wine storage, custom console table. Mimic your kitchen cabinets into the niche for an integrated look. Leave an open area and highlight art work with low voltage halogen down lights.
December 28, 2012 at 9:11AM   
PRO
Sharer Design Group LLC
A custom wine center would work great in that spot. Doing wine storage cabinetry and glass upper cabinet doors would really dress that spot up. You could do a nice contrasting cabinet color to go with the dark stained island and maybe some seeded glass uppers.
December 28, 2012 at 9:53AM     
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
A baker's rack would look nice.
December 28, 2012 at 10:19AM   
housemamma
We don't drink alcohol in my house, so I would put up a shelf to hold flavored teas and coffee next to a Keurig machine. My daughter is 16 and her friends head straight to the Keurig when they visit. Put out cute cups and plates, cookies/snacks in glass jars.
December 28, 2012 at 10:41AM   
PRO
Boost Graphics LLC.
A modern mural might add just the right touch, www.boostgfx.com I would love to help.
December 28, 2012 at 10:52AM   
PRO
Linda
In my house, it would be a tough choice between a custom wine rack and a built in bookcase.
December 28, 2012 at 12:22PM     
zenhome
Like one of the ideas above of keeping it clean and simple. A great piece of artwork is all you really need and maybe a tall vase in the corner.
December 28, 2012 at 12:26PM   
azanhem
Maybe a granite slab going across with a big picture on wall.A recess light or spot light would be great
December 28, 2012 at 12:32PM   
PRO
elise black art & design
As an artist and designer, I like the idea of a console table with a piece of art above it. I would visit flea markets and find some sort of material such as an old door or something else that could be cut down (I think it's okay for it to extend out from the alcove an inch or two...and I would find some sort of interesting base to use.....It could really be a cool conversation piece if you are somewhat handy! If you are interested in some dimensional wall-hung art, check out my profile!
- Elise Black
December 28, 2012 at 1:06PM