powered by
Small living room needs to feel larger
December 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I need ideas for a small living room that flows into "dining area" (not pictured but behind camera- open floor plan) i also want to accentuate the bay windows. The room is relatively small and right at the entrance so want to make it more spacious and inviting. Thoughts?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cheery Curtains
Cheery Curtains has nice curtains but they may not help to make your room look larger. Sorry for that.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 1:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
I wouldn't use curtains at all in this room. I would prefer venitian shutters or blinds that you are already have. I would fit a semi-round sofa or place an antique ottoman. I would also extend the entry space by placing a tall plant or a shelving room divider between the bay window and the door. Depends on wether you want a TV in your living room or not I would put a TV set on the chimney breast on the right from the window and place a fitted shelving cabinet in the niche or place an arm chair and shelf aboveit. A nice middle eastern floral design rug thrown in the middle would be a good detail. And I would replace the fan light with a chandelier or a pendant and place a conditioner on thhe opposite wall if you need it.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 1:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Generally speaking, the lighter the colors the larger the room will look. I would remove all your window treatments including the blinds and install bottom-up shades. This will give you plenty of light and privacy at the same time. What furniture pieces are you looking to place in this room? Two comfy chairs and a table would look good in the window with a small sofa, maybe a love seat, facing them.
1 Like   December 27, 2012 at 3:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I agree with olldbobbi that a light color generally makes a room feel larger but since there are alot of windows you can use a darker color if you up the sheen on it. I would just do stationary side panels to dress the space and then find a Carlton house desk which has a curved back and nestle it into the space with a great chair that has an interesting design on the back.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 3:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
If you do not want any window dressing you can frost the glass in the bottom part of the window and enjoy the light. But I would still prefer a window seat or a sofa next to the window and armchairs to face it.
1 Like   December 27, 2012 at 3:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Blinds Direct Canada
Silhouettes or rollers would look great assuming that the windows have the mounting depth needed usually 3 1/4" inches. Otherwise a cellular shade Top Down Bottom Up would work better.

0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 3:38AM
Sign Up to comment
Related Discussions
Need help , need a living room to feel like a living room
I have been living in my condo for a few years and...
Need help turning a small bathroom and larger laundry room into one
Need help to utilize wasted space and turn bathroom...
Need a larger tub in a small space, and better laundry room solution.
In a condo so water heater is loud and is in the laundry...
I need to warm up the living room, make it feel like a family room,
Our living room has 20 foot ceilings and blonde hardwood...
Winterhouse Kitchens, Bath & Custom Woodwork
More Discussions
Need help with decor of this family room!
We are changing the floor to a darker wood. Any ideas...
Bathroom flooring options that are warmer on the feet.
We need to remodel a guest bathroom that currently...
Best Homemade Gift?
As more people try to simplify their holiday giving...
Emily Hurley
Help Me Please!!!! Need help decorating my Family Room
I have the ugliest Olive green sofas in my Family Room....
Delia Gibbs
Skylights vs. Dormer
We've been presented with two options for bringing...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.