Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Small living room needs to feel larger
mimonkk
December 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I need ideas for a small living room that flows into "dining area" (not pictured but behind camera- open floor plan) i also want to accentuate the bay windows. The room is relatively small and right at the entrance so want to make it more spacious and inviting. Thoughts?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Cheery Curtains has nice curtains but they may not help to make your room look larger. Sorry for that.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 1:07AM
marinadrobot
I wouldn't use curtains at all in this room. I would prefer venitian shutters or blinds that you are already have. I would fit a semi-round sofa or place an antique ottoman. I would also extend the entry space by placing a tall plant or a shelving room divider between the bay window and the door. Depends on wether you want a TV in your living room or not I would put a TV set on the chimney breast on the right from the window and place a fitted shelving cabinet in the niche or place an arm chair and shelf aboveit. A nice middle eastern floral design rug thrown in the middle would be a good detail. And I would replace the fan light with a chandelier or a pendant and place a conditioner on thhe opposite wall if you need it.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 1:50AM
charleee
Generally speaking, the lighter the colors the larger the room will look. I would remove all your window treatments including the blinds and install bottom-up shades. This will give you plenty of light and privacy at the same time. What furniture pieces are you looking to place in this room? Two comfy chairs and a table would look good in the window with a small sofa, maybe a love seat, facing them.
[houzz=
]
1 Like   December 27, 2012 at 3:17AM
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I agree with olldbobbi that a light color generally makes a room feel larger but since there are alot of windows you can use a darker color if you up the sheen on it. I would just do stationary side panels to dress the space and then find a Carlton house desk which has a curved back and nestle it into the space with a great chair that has an interesting design on the back.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 3:28AM
marinadrobot
If you do not want any window dressing you can frost the glass in the bottom part of the window and enjoy the light. But I would still prefer a window seat or a sofa next to the window and armchairs to face it.
1 Like   December 27, 2012 at 3:44AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Silhouettes or rollers would look great assuming that the windows have the mounting depth needed usually 3 1/4" inches. Otherwise a cellular shade Top Down Bottom Up would work better.

http://blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/cellular-shades.html
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 3:38AM