Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
My new family room needs help
Janet Carmichael
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I just purchased these new couches and tables. I know that I need "color pops" on the couches but I can't design what color I should go with. The dog beds will eventually move as will the floor lamp but need other rooms to be finished before I move.

I will probably change the TV holder at some point to a lighter wood with possibly a color pop there too.

Thanks in advance for your help. I am so not good at this!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
trudz83
I would accent with pillow. I would defiantly do black pillows to pull that rug in. I would do one black pillow on each of the chairs and then accent the couches with the other colors in the rug, again to pull that rug in
December 27, 2012 at 5:36AM   
Janet Carmichael
My house is naturally quite dark because of the way the light comes in. In hindsight, the black rug probably wasn't a good choice. That being said, I still love it for its wear and tear. I'm trying to stay away from neutral pillows so I was looking for more of a pop to choose but one that wouldn't overall contradict. I hope that makes sense.
December 27, 2012 at 6:20AM   
PRO
Chroma Design
Pull in your wall color for the accent pillows. Not solid pillows, a small print will add more interest. The pillows shouldn't match the walls exactly, but be a brighter version of the walls. In the same way that your tray on the coffee table is bright and eye catching. It works well.
Ideally, the print would have a second color in it that relates to your rug; coral, peach, pink.
December 27, 2012 at 6:37AM     
cohoek
Heres an idea, look around the house for clothes towels, sheets etc in blue or turqoise wrap them around a pillow and see how they work, You probably have a good color somewhere in the house, I also know of people that make a nice cushion from an old sweater!( I don't mean to use your clothes voor pillows, just try the colors out. I wonder if its a good idea to have 2 tables in the center. Maybe try putting one table next to a couch or are they too long? I bought a huge thick glas table so I wouldn't need 2. Because you can see right through it, it doesn't clutter up the room and you could still see the rug! Put a piece of sculpture on it, looks great!!I like your blue, colors beautifully with the floor, a fantastic combination!
December 27, 2012 at 7:37AM     
monicatd
I love the color of your room and the spaciousness but I think you need to add some interest. Everything is too "matchy matchy." Maybe add a leather chair to break up all of the fabric. I would mount the TV on the wall to try to eliminate another piece of furniture. You can probably get a small scale metal shelf for the cable equipment.
December 27, 2012 at 7:42AM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I'd definitely start by placing the chairs closer together with a table between them, probably an 18-24" round one. The coffee tables bother me. Could you please try placing them together in the center of the rug as one big table. Then pull the sofas forward so that there is 18" of space between each sofa and the coffee table.

I would use peach and black accent pillows and paint the walls an off white such as SW Creamy.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Kelly Wearstler Bengal Bazaar Pillow Covers By Aurelia6311 Jiti V Black Pillow
December 27, 2012 at 7:46AM     
monicatd
One other thought...if you're not committed to the placement of your TV, I would move it to the blank wall and move your two recliners or the sofa in front of the windows. I find it hard to watch TV with light coming in the windows.
December 27, 2012 at 7:47AM     
collettec
I would do wood blinds or bamboo shades in a natural brown shade. The television stand that you're going to get should have some visual interest to it, either in design that stands out or even a pop of color. Something lighter so not indistinguishable with the television. Some pillows with pattern on the chairs and couches and different decorative items on each of the two tables so that the room doesn't look like a divided matched set. Art on the other wall as well. Actually I think you're doing well and I love that rug.
December 27, 2012 at 7:56AM   
decoenthusiaste
A coppery red or a light sage green would make good accent colors (pillows, throws) for the space and could be used together. Window treatments in a tan or bronze, and a few pops of Carolyn's black suggestion would wrap it up nicely.
December 27, 2012 at 8:17AM     
hmschoolmom
For color I would use a red directly across the color wheel from the blue that you are using. A variety with small print or very thin stripes using the colors found in that room would be ideal so as not to clash with the rug. The red tones and black to complement the rug would also work.
I think pulling the tables together in the center was a fantastic idea. Then you can pull the couches a few inches away from the walls to avoid the wallflower treatment. I would also think that the two chairs would look awesome near the windows with a table in between.
December 27, 2012 at 9:32AM   
Janet Carmichael
OK so I've moved the coffee tables in the center to show you how darn big this room really is. Carolyn, you'll see when I do so, I get a major gap behind the couch which means another two tables behind them to fill the gap. I'd really like to keep the separation of the tables. We used to have one big coffee table and it didn't look right ever and it wasn't useful b/c it wasn't near the couches.

I LOVE the idea of the moving the green chairs closer. Obviously the table I've used isn't the right one but I wanted to show you the impact.

I'm toying with the idea of moving the chairs to the windows and moving the TV but I'm not a big fan of entering the room only to immediately see the back of a couch. I do have a console table I could add there but it is 56 inches long and the couch is 88 inches so not sure if that could work???

I've taken a panaromic photo so that you see that this whole area is massive. I can't change the wall color - just had it painted and it really need some color b/c of the ivory cabinetry. Hope you agree.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I really need your help! :)
December 27, 2012 at 10:00AM   
Janet Carmichael
Sorry here's the second picture
December 27, 2012 at 10:05AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I'm glad you listened to Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design She has great advise. I do like the new pics!
December 27, 2012 at 10:05AM   
decoenthusiaste
I"m thinking it is looking too balanced. Have you thought of an "L" with the sofas and the two chairs under the picture? Then a nicely decorated and lit sofa table behind the sofa that is floating facing the TV. If you don't need the ceiling fans for circulation, I'd suggest a pair of gorgeous drum chandys - maybe semi-flush mounted. And some more black accents.
Basement Family Room
Axis Semi Flush Mount
Zara Side Table / Stool
December 27, 2012 at 10:11AM     
quincyboy1
The coffee tables together look better, but I don't like the sofas against the walls. What about putting the two sofas at right ankles in an L shape, sort of floated in the room (at least 12-15 inches away from the wall, with a table in between to complete the L. Then you could put the two large chairs near the other wall with a table in between, or angled somewhat towards the two sofas. Or you could put the two large chairs near the windows. I would get rid of the TV and the table it's on. If you want a TV in that room, get a larger one and mount it on the wall. Plus you need some strategically placed tall plants once the Xmas tree goes.
December 27, 2012 at 10:15AM   
samcam25
It's great that this living room is so big, but you went and made it small with all this furniture. I would remove one the the sofas. It's just too much. Put the TV on the wall where the picture is and move the chairs to the opposite side by the windows. If you need something to separate the rooms, I would put a nice leather bench where you have the chairs now. Drapery that compliments the area rug would be nice. Lastly, have you considered going more neutral with the paint color. Just because a room is big doesn't mean it needs furniture covering every square inch. Good luck and happy decorating!!
December 27, 2012 at 10:42AM     
PRO
I like the chairs being closer together, but I prefer the sofas where you originally had them. I thank you for trying it the other way.
December 27, 2012 at 10:56AM   
PRO
I think you need to give the L formation a try, with the 56" console behind the sofa. I don't think it will look tiny.
December 27, 2012 at 11:14AM     
nancymic
I agree with changing the placement. You have too much prefect symmetry. Same two couches facing same two tables and then the same two chairs similarly lined up. Moving furniture around is an easy start. If you're open to repainting, a darker tan or taupe would make those truly amazing windows pop. So jealous of this beautiful room! The green though does not seem to tie in. Im not sure I'd force it with throw pillows
Also, I don't think you need both coffee tables either, just one for the two sofas to share, but that means moving them and placing them facing but closer together.
December 27, 2012 at 2:46PM   
Janet Carmichael
Ok everyone, here's the L shape sofas and personally I love it. Hubbie is having a hard time adjusting. Please keep in mind that I haven't been pillow shopping yet and nothing is finally placed given the Christmas tree. Should I put a lamp on the console? That is the question still??
December 27, 2012 at 6:19PM     
PRO
Oh, Janet, it looks wonderful! I'd try for 2 lamps on the console, on dimmers. Hubby may object if there is not space enough to get through between the two sofas. You can either teach him how to leap tall buildings....or slightly separate the sofas to allow for passage. The problem I've found with L shape furniture arrangements is finding a table that works for both sofas. Maybe you can L the tables. I've never tried it and question how it would look, but worth a thought.
December 27, 2012 at 6:36PM     
Janet Carmichael
Carolyn, I can't thank you enough for your quick feedback and help. I feel like I have some taste but need that extra confirmation! Thanks to everyone else too for chiming in as everyone has helped get my thoughts concrete on what works. I'm so excited to get pillows and accessorize tomorrow!

Hubbie will cope. He's had to for the first 22 years!

Going to try the L on the tables but I don't mind the current way either.
December 27, 2012 at 6:40PM     
nancymic
So much better!
December 27, 2012 at 7:08PM     
PRO
I'm delighted to have been of help to you. Love your spirit!
December 27, 2012 at 7:18PM   
monicatd
Love it! So much better than before.
December 27, 2012 at 8:51PM   
monicatd
One more thought ... How about a square ottoman that both sofas could share instead of the coffee table?
December 27, 2012 at 8:54PM   
monicatd
One more thought ... How about a square ottoman that both sofas could share instead of the coffee table?
December 27, 2012 at 8:55PM   
houssaon
It looks so good with the L shape! Unbelievable, the rug looks better, everything looks better! Wow.
December 27, 2012 at 8:58PM     
Christine Robertson
I Love the couches in the L shape. The room looks so much better! Well done.
December 27, 2012 at 9:04PM     
hmschoolmom
Much better! It certainly works!
December 30, 2012 at 9:52PM   
athtex
Looks fabulous! Might consider painting armoire & tv console- Drapes & pillows & you're done!
December 30, 2012 at 10:11PM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
For the window treatment i wold recommend Roman shades http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/roman-blinds-shades.html
January 1, 2013 at 7:59AM   
Janet Carmichael
blindsdirect - thank you for that suggestion. I love the very ones on your website when you go to it!
January 1, 2013 at 8:17AM   
gontygirl
Definitely would add the same dark color taken from your big area rug... (Cozy room...)
January 1, 2013 at 8:19AM