Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Selecting a backsplash for our new kitchen
jaybuff
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We left the backsplash for last. We're going to pick out some samples today and have no idea what we want. Suggestions would really be helpful!

The countertops are Caesarstone Raven. Currently there is a 4" backsplash that matches the countertops. We are debating if we should remove that and have the new backsplash go all the way down to meet the countertop or keep it. We definitely have to have a higher backsplash. The wall is already getting splattered and we've only used the kitchen for about a month.

Also, what do we do under the window? I think the backsplash should be at the level of the bottom of the window on that wall or perhaps the backsplash should only go on the wall with the upper cabinets.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lulamarie
my thoughts:
1. white subway tiles with white grout
2. glass subway tiles (whatever neutral colors you like - this would complement your glass pendant lights)

i would install the tiles on the oven side and then carry it over to the wall with the sink at the same height.
2 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 10:00AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
You have a beautiful kitchen. Yes, remove the existing 4" Raven backsplash. A subway tile with very slight gray undertone would look wonderful. Match the grout to the tile. Might try to change the height of the tile on the window side - but I would be there while the tile setter is installing to see if I liked it. If not, you would need to go up to the same height as the backsplash. That of course means you would be buying tile ahead of time in case you need it - but we always buy extra anyway in case of issues.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 2:05PM
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
I agree with Deborah. Remove the 4" Raven back splash. That is a dated look and unnecessary if you are introducing a new material. There are lovely textured mosaics and small piece materials that would add some visual interest. This would be nice since the Raven is fairly flat. I would keep it fairly monochromatic and it will be quite stylish. For the window wall over the sink either run the backsplash to the same level as below the cabinets, or for drama fill that wall with it all the way up to the bulkhead. You have a lovely classic kitchen.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 2:21PM
MAlps
Do subway red!! Your kitchen is begging for a pop of color ;) and youve got the red chairs in there already
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 2:33PM
ckanters
You have great bones! I agree that I would take down the current backsplash, and use subway tiles. However I would use a more metalic look. I would extend this right under the window as well. I think this would pick up on the silver accents you already have in your kitchen with the handles on your drawers and appliances. Here is a link to a picture of the tiles
1 Like   December 27, 2012 at 2:49PM
designwench
lulamarie's suggestions are spot on. I can see a pale seafoam green glass tile going really well in your kitchen.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 4:08PM
PRO
Clare White - Clockwise Design
Why not add some more color and put a nice custom theme below the hood. Check out the attched picture.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 4:18PM