Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ideas for wall behind sofa and extra space
Daniel Nguyen
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I want to see if ere are any other ideas for the wall behind my sofa and the space between that and the window.

I was thinking mirror collage since I already have artwork in the room and going to have some for the dining room next to it. It's coming together but I just wanted to see if there are any other ideas for those 2 spaces.

The space in front of the window and beside the couch is a little awkward.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Art in a different medium would work well. Paintings can work with wall sculptures as well as more paintings. I think it takes a lot to have to much art in a house.
December 27, 2012 at 10:50am   
Nancy Hehmann
Interiors beat me to it while I was getting a link for you but wall sculptures are great and in many price ranges.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/products/wall-sculpture

You can click on the above link. Also, go to Etsy.com and type what you would like to look at in the search engine. Etsy is a website with artisans and craftsman from the US and all over the world. You can contact each "shop owner" too with questions. I have a photography shop, nancyhehmann.

You have a very lovely place!
December 27, 2012 at 10:55am   
quincyboy1
I would put the two chairs in front of the window, with a table between and a floor lamp on one side of the chairs. Then, I would float the sofa in the middle of the room, facing the window, with the back of the sofa facing the dining room. Sounds weird, but try it. If you have enough room to walk around either side of the sofa into the dining room, it should be fine. Turn the carpet so it's situated in front of the sofa like it is now. I like the idea of a collage of mirrors on the wall opposite your artwork. Then I would put a long narrow table on that wall as well, with a tall skinny lamp. Your coffee table is too large and tall for the room (altho you could put it against the wall, where the chairs are now, and put some interesting things on it - books, etc) so I would consider a smaller one, maybe oval shaped. Tuck a tall plant in the corner and some smaller ones around the room and you're good to go !!
December 27, 2012 at 10:58am     
Daniel Nguyen
Thanks folks. Quincy, the room is too narrow to go the other way. Dimensions of furniture do look a little weird in the photos but it fits nice and the coffee table is not as big as it looks. I think the layout is fine. Just need to work with the wall and empty space in front of the window.
December 27, 2012 at 11:08am     
carolannr
I think putting the two chairs in front of the window with a table between may work but I would think the traffic pattern would be really diverted with the sofa in the across- the- room position. Is this your only access to the front hall from the back of the house? I don't know how much room you have in front of those windows but it may be smaller than it seems and the chairs wouldn't fit, I would try a small sofa table with a lamp as a desk with an occasional chair that could be pulled closer to the sofa for conversation. Since the opposite wall art appears to be a graphic architectural, I don't see any reason why you couldn't add color to the room with a painting or print of equal size.
December 27, 2012 at 11:20am     
quincyboy1
If the room is "too narrow" then your current furniture placement is simply making it look MORE narrow. Just try what I suggested, and see how it looks. You can always move it back. Good luck !!
December 27, 2012 at 11:22am     
collettec
I think you could use more pattern and color in the room. I would go with art rather than the mirrors over the sofa as others have suggested. The art above the chairs is too high, particularly given the low height of the chairs. I would add color in pillows on the chairs. You could also use floor to ceiling drapes in both the living room and dining room - maybe a place for color and pattern there. If enough space under the windows in the living room, perhaps a narrow table, or maybe bench.
December 27, 2012 at 11:34am     
judianna20
The sofa will not fit at the bay area? It doesn't have to be in it.
Mrslimestone living room 3

If not, how about a low bench which will provide extra seating?Contemporary Living Room
December 27, 2012 at 11:40am     
judianna20
As for your wall decor, I like seeing the same thing opposite each other. Why not move the architectural print out to the dining room and do something like these tiles on the living room walls. You could keep the colors the same, but mix them differently.

December 27, 2012 at 11:48am     
Monica Ellison
You have a beautiful home. I live in a row house and I love cozy spaces but they can be challenging when decorating. I would recommend moving the two chairs and table in between to in front of the window. This will allow for more flow in and out of the room. I like your idea of a mirror above the sofa. I think it would be the perfect pairing with all the other elements in the room.
December 27, 2012 at 12:01pm     
Jayme H.
Lovely! I have a totally different style, but I love the colors and clean lines!! Any change to find a small console table with a curved back (facing the window) to fit in there? I realize it's not very deep, but just envisioned a cool table in there with some interesting pieces on top of it. Do u like iron-work? How about a piece over the sofa on bare wall with some iron in it to add some texture to the room? Something rectangular maybe? Or your mirror idea is also great! Another thought was stacking or leaning some interesting floor pillows under that window perhaps. If there are kids or pets, free standing vases or the like are iffy.
December 27, 2012 at 12:01pm     
Manon Floreat
I really like your idea of mirrors. Here's a piece that looks like it would fit very nicely with your contemporary decor. Its by Doug Aitken and is called "Wilderness".
December 27, 2012 at 12:14pm     
ashtonkwait
I agree that a mirror gallery would be a really nice addition to the room; perhaps a variety of sizes in a rustic wood that would mimic the picture across from them? Whatever you add to the window area, I would draw the dark details into it to unify the space.

I too feel that the room looks cramped. Maybe it's just me being claustrophobic, but I feel like the chairs would look better under the window, too; maybe replace them with a narrow console of sorts? It might just be the pictures, or even the coffee table, making the room look cramped. You have a great space to work with, though, and I like where you're going with it.
December 27, 2012 at 12:39pm   
PRO
Doreen Schweitzer Interiors, Ltd.
A round contemporary mirror would look great. More pieces mean more clutter so I prefer one large mirror. A pedestal with a vase or piece of sculptue would look great next to the sofa. Another idea would be a larger glass charger type of artwork mounted on the wall above the sofa but the size must be large. Pier One is a good place to find these.
December 27, 2012 at 1:43pm   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I would place a pair of same size coordinated oil paintings on the wall above the sofa. In the bay window, I envision a comfortable reading chair and if there is space, an ottoman, plus a small table. On the dining room wall, I'd hang a beautiful mirror, hung vertically.

December 27, 2012 at 2:38pm     
PRO
Mhordesign
Daniel. Where did you get your sofa,?i am looking for two sofas just like your cream one in the recent post above.
December 27, 2012 at 2:45pm   
PRO
Perhaps the chair would speak French.
December 27, 2012 at 2:47pm     
PRO
Mhordesign
Also daniel, what about two square,not very large ottomans in front of the bay window, I would suggest ones that have a lid, that way you can use them for storage as well as extra seating. I would also suggest a slimline console with the square ottomans placed under the console,thereby layering the look. You can add more layering with the use of a tray on the console with some books or Objet or even extra lamps if you have power at that part of the room. I will try to send u a link to show you.
December 27, 2012 at 2:52pm     
PRO
Mhordesign
Console and square ottomans
December 27, 2012 at 2:56pm     
decoenthusiaste
To arrest the narrow and long issue, I'd rather see a shapely glass cocktail table. The current one has visual lines and planks that just add to the lengthening. If you do the French speaking chair, how about some French architecture to oppose your other architectural wall art?
East End Imports Triangle Light Walnut Glass Top Coffee Table
Sculptured Coffee Table
Paris Photo Street Scene by Paris Plus
December 27, 2012 at 3:22pm     
PRO
Uppercase Living Independent Demonstrator
I'm partial to adding inspiration where ever I can. The impact is has on our lives daily is amazing! The possibilities are endless! I would put an expression up that would have meaning to the family to create a warmer atmosphere. For the window area I would put up a decorative and word based combination. If Uppercase Living appeals to you - come and visit my page to learn more. http://www.WhenWallsTalk.com
December 27, 2012 at 3:26pm     
Marisa Giraudo
I think you should do mirrors that are all the same size and come together to look like a great focal point on the wall above the couch or even in the dining room (you could easily do the collage photos and mirrors on either wall). For the mirror you could do it with the molding like this: http://pinterest.com/pin/119345458844844718/. Or even something like this: http://pinterest.com/pin/119345458844851366/. But instead use mirrors with frames. It really gives the room a wow factor. When I saw that second image in person, I was definitely in awe.
December 27, 2012 at 3:27pm     
hhcheung2000
Have you considered painting the wall behind the couch an accent color? It really makes a difference. I painted our living room Sherwin Williams Iron Ore which made the room pop. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
December 27, 2012 at 4:00pm     
hhcheung2000
Have you considered painting the wall behind the couch an accent color? It really makes a difference. I painted our living room Sherwin Williams Iron Ore which made the room pop. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
December 27, 2012 at 4:01pm   
PRO
Staged for Perfection
I think the room needs some more roundness. Round mirror or round coffee table or even the table suggested by decoenthusiaste.
December 27, 2012 at 4:14pm     
Brooke Lopez
I would first try to reorient the room and put the chairs/table in the window with the couch opposite, as suggested by others. Then place a small console sized desk behind the couch with a small chair as a desk or just decor on the table. If the room truly is too narrow for this, a small bench or chest would make a nice addition to the window nook and could be used for storage and extra seating when needed or a small desk - would be great light for work. Tall narrow bookshelfs on each side framing the window would give it more weight and seem less like just a window. Agree with the other comment about the coffee table. Something glass would open up the space visually. If you can do glass, I can't either as I have a toddler, something round with a pedestal would like less heavy.
December 27, 2012 at 4:28pm     
thislittlehouse
The narrow console table with 2 square storage/extra seating ottomans underneath would look great opposite the sofa, under the existing artwork. The heights would be better too.
Then the 2 club chairs could be placed in the window area. It would free up extra space along that narrow length of the room, while making better use of the gorgeous light from the window.
One large mirror (same dimension as art) above the sofa would double the width of the room. Keeping the sizes of art and mirror the same in a small space will avoid visual clutter. :)
December 27, 2012 at 4:46pm     
Wendy Hamilton
A 3 piece artwork would look great above the sofa and would add some colour to the room and you can spread it as far apart as you like.
December 27, 2012 at 5:17pm     
jjdesignkloos
What a beautiful space you have! I like the ideas posted about a smaller organic coffee table; and an easy chair with side table in the bay; and maybe tiles, or 3-d artwork above the sofa. The first thing I noticed was the large beautiful picture you have above the 2 armchairs: I'd like to see it about 10-12" lower....
A lovely room!
December 27, 2012 at 5:33pm   
Norma Sassone
I think a collection of starburst clocks and/or mirrors would look fabulous over the sofa. Or perhaps just one enormous one.
December 27, 2012 at 5:44pm   
PRO
I definitely agree with decoenthusiaste and staged that you need some curves in your rooms.
Everything is straight lines.
December 27, 2012 at 5:45pm     
michelleragu
Love the clean lines, neutral colors and art. How about mirrors like these from Ballard Designs for the wall across from art work.
December 27, 2012 at 5:57pm     
PRO
Color Zen
LOVE your room(s). I think you need a touch of color. I like the idea of some sort of collage behind your couch (could be a mixture of things). I just want to see one bright component that really makes us appreciated the rest of this restrained palette. It could even be one frame painted in a vibrant hue. We need Nate Berkus, he would be perfect for this :)
December 27, 2012 at 5:57pm     
michelleragu
Here is a better picture. It shows four mirrors placed together, but you could just do two side by side, above the sofa.
December 27, 2012 at 6:04pm   
PRO
Interior Designs by Adrienne
For the window area, I would suggest a glass writing desk with an upholstered chair. You could carry the upholstery over to some pillows for your sofa to bring a pop of colour into the room. A tall lamp on the left side. Another suggestion would be a window seat, again with an upholstered fabric cushion and some pillows. Would be a cozy spot to read a book and extra seating for guests. You would however need to put a ventilated grate in the front to let the heat out from that register. I would also suggest a coffee table with a glass top and wood bottom. I wouldn't seem as heavy in the space.
December 27, 2012 at 6:16pm   
broccoli10
I would put more artwork in the living room and I would paint each room a different color because it would add more style to the modern house
December 27, 2012 at 7:35pm   
kaaageee
The arrangement is probably what you have found to work best. A coffee table takes up too much space. The 2 chairs only need one small table to share. IF a narrow console table (of same heighth & length) is placed behind sofa, it would hold endless ops. Such as, 2 candlestick lamps, Mirror, numerous items placed purposely for the lowness of items that reflect (increasing the "look" of depth), or hung higher (not to reflect what is on table top), but so that the (say, wrought iron Framed mirror) is hung higher than the tops of the lamps (creating heighth to the wall). As for the bay window, 1st an air vent director to push air flow out into the room (not at the window). Get yourself an abundance of plants. Rooms come vibrantly lush, homey, welcoming, etc... I live in a berm home and miss my indoor cheerful plants (I WANT YOUR WINDOW)!
December 27, 2012 at 9:50pm   
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Wow I love your furniture! Just gorgeous! I agree a mirror would look great and open the room up whether it be a collage or a decorative piece. Maybe a thin buffet in the dining room? Looks like we have the same taste. Check out www.zgallerie.com :)
December 27, 2012 at 10:09pm     
Sarah
I love the look of the room! In front of the windows a lovely low, backless bench would fit and be functional. If you could find an oblong oval shaped one that would be best. I like the idea of using mirrors above the couch. I think this one would fit in nicely: http://www.homedecorators.com/detail.php?parentid=4456160&aid=google.push&skwcid=PTC
December 28, 2012 at 6:06am     
Mari Becker
It's a very pretty room, great bones, but just feels very congested with the rectangle coffee table and the empty bay is just cold with no purpose.
I think the coffee table is too much for the room. I think two upholstered 18" drum ottomans that can accommodate a cocktail or two sitting on them or to be used for putting feet up, with lids for storage. I also think the chairs should go in the bay window with an more fluid table between - maybe silver with a slender pedestal and round top to add some sparkle. I would then add two small bolster pillows on the leather chairs to soften that up and coordinate the fabric with pillows for the couch and the upholstered ottomans. I would move the large print to over the couch - that's your statement wall and will have a big impact. On the other wall (where the leather chairs are now) do a console table in a grey washed oak with a simple profile and a fabulous mirror above and a great classic polished nickel sconce on either side. On the console, a couple art books, candles and pretty dish or glass bowl for dropping keys, matches, etc. You can then tuck the ottomans under the console if/when you wish. Good Luck!
December 28, 2012 at 12:34pm   
nomadkath
I'd be tempted to keep the wall behind the couch plain.......it's such a relaxing, rich color, and the couch is great. How about a tall vase on the table next to the couch with tall sticks or dried grasses.......and maybe another on the floor on opposite end of the couch. Room is missing some natural lines and textures.....like driftwood, branches, rocks. Ceiling to floor neutral drapes would add softness. Upholstered square ottomans would look nice, and could come in handy.....although I would rather have a reading chair in the window.....it depends on your lifestyle. The dark frame around the picture behind the chairs bothers me...not sure why...its a little overpowering.......I could envision that in a 'frameless' setting so your eyes would go straight to the intricate lines of the piece instead of the frame. Maybe even in the dining area with a lighter frame. Nice place :)
December 28, 2012 at 1:03pm   
PRO
elise black art & design
Love the neutral color pallet......now you need some color to bring it to life. A couple of colorful throw pillows with some interesting art behind the couch and dining table....If you go with one large piece on one wall, be sure to do a mixture of smaller pieces on the other so as not to look redundant......Feel free to check out my art!-Elise Black

P.s. I also would like to see some breathing space between the couch and that corner with a table with a lamp or standing lamp......and some accessories like books, sculpture, ceramics on the table!
December 28, 2012 at 1:20pm   
Norma Sassone
Cantilevered floor lamp next to the couch, one or both sides; much much smaller coffee table - a rustic bench, perhaps to add something organic; two padded ottomans with a pop of color like teal or orange under the bay window under a low parson's type table with a glass tile top or metal legs. (Click on the table picture cuz it did not copy completely.) A throw on one of the dark leather chairs cuz they look too dark - maybe something fluffy and white or a fishermen's knit sweater afghan would look super.
December 28, 2012 at 3:36pm   
Vici Wolff
I agree with all the compliments to your lovely home, furnishings & color choices. I really like the continuity & soothing nature of the muted grey in both rooms. I disagree that the architecture graphic frame is too dark; it echoes the only other dark elements in the room - the chairs. Love the whimsical yet masculine Klieg light!

Sofa facing chairs is my preferred arrangement too but I can see that it would not work at all in your space. Dual ottomans are a great functional idea but would be awful with the dual chairs unless you're going for a small Noah's arc look. But your current coffee table, which I sense may be a beloved piece, is problematic - just doesn't seem to fit your space or style. something small, low & glass topped (airy looking but sturdy) would be good.

Putting the chairs in front of the shallow bay window without moving the sofa doesn't make sense either as it would destroy the conversation pit. You might flip the sides though so that more interesting detail (chairs, table, graphic, accessories) appears as you enter the room. Then carry it through with a chaise or bench under the window to add seating and let the L shape envelope you & your guests. And one large brushed nickel mirror over the sofa to finish it off. Maybe the window bench could provide a pop of color. Ditto the sofa pillows.
December 28, 2012 at 4:59pm     
Daniel Nguyen
Wow! I did not expect this many comments. Lots to think about. I'm very careful with my choices, the table can go in the future if I can find something better. I still have a basement room to work with.

I'm a single guy and so I did try to go for a contemporary rustic feel. I don't feel like any other arrangement for now may work. I really like the bench/ottoman at the window idea.

Lots of ideas on the wall. I will try to bring colour in with some accessories. I like the muted greys because it allows for a very masculine feel and I can always play with more accessories for colour when I'm tired of the look. Seems like you are all having fun with my place.

Here are some pics with a better camera.
December 28, 2012 at 9:25pm   
Norma Sassone
Here's a rustic bench coffee table that would not block egress and would add something organic. It is available on Etsy.com
December 29, 2012 at 7:51am     
calikym
I would put shutters on the window but nothing in front of it. I also don't think you should add anything to the wall behind the couch since you have a giant picture on the wall directly across that looks good. I love everything about the room but the coffee table. I found a cool one at Crate and Barrel and it has a dual purpose - can be a bench, can slide open to become mutli lengths as a table. It is not as wide as yours but is wood with slats. I'm buying it for my own room after falling in love with it at the store. It's hip and versatile.
December 29, 2012 at 8:08am     
calikym
I found it for you. It's called tandem 2.
December 29, 2012 at 8:14am     
Lkristine
Here are a couple of mirror ideas--both from lamps plus- and here is a link to see many mirror options on that website. http://www.lampsplus.com/products/mirrors/type_wall-mirrors/shape_round/ Also here are a couple of art options, both off of overstock.com. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Lois-Bryan-Backlit-Birdie-Being-Buffeted-Canvas-Art/5638998/product.html http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Cashmere-and-Copper-Canvas-Art/3644815/product.html Love your room so far! And I think your idea of adding color with accessories is perfect.....allows for easy cost effective change when you want to change things up a bit!
December 29, 2012 at 8:59am     
Lkristine
Sorry, looks like same mirror went on twice! Here is a pic of another one-- the link is above!
December 29, 2012 at 9:02am   
Ramona
I like the room; I like the sofa. When you have changed everything else, get different throw pillows. Yours are just not working. I do not like the furniture arrangement as it makes the wonderful window look like an empty afterthought instead of the feature it should be. Are you sure you can't put the sofa facing the bay window? You really don't need that much room to walk around it. Maybe if you angled the sofa towards the window where you would put the chairs and lose the coffee table? The entry doorway is already at an angle. Placing the sofa at that same angle might really balance the room. A small table behind the angled sofa with a desk chair is a nice idea. Putting the seating closer to the window just makes sense. Use an ottoman instead of a coffee table. Maybe cylinder pillows on the couch in a wonderful lush fabric. I would really play with the furniture arrangement before I purchased anything else for the walls. All the wall suggestions are fine.
December 29, 2012 at 10:03am   
lessismoore
I like the idea of a console table in the window bay, chair too (pair might be too much "twining" with the pair you already have) so I put a ottoman for balance, but really could be something else. Added Manon's mirror so you could get a mirror finish idea behind sofa. I would want that picked up (as in the shiny modern lamp). I also like the idea of the chair in a gray to further complement mirror/metallic finishes. Just some ideas ...
December 29, 2012 at 10:15am     
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
First off, the "roundness" of the tub chairs would work beautifully in the bay window. The curves would work beautifully. The sofa could then move to the space that is occupied by the chairs. You could then add a low slung, curved day bed or chaise to the wall that has the sofa!

Secondly, the table is too high. Sorry but it is far too high for the furniture.

Now for some color! The colours du jour are purple, green, and robin's egg blue. I would go with some throw pillows in one of these colours (you choose your favourite) and then add wall art (big, chunky) with the same colours seen in the throws. Tah Dah. A pulled together room!
December 29, 2012 at 10:27am     
Daniel Nguyen
Okay. Just to play around, I quickly rearranged the furniture to get the feel for you all.

I don't actually mind the couch on the wall with the art and the tub chairs in the window. The only reason why I actually don't like that set up is that it doesn't really induce good conversation positioning. However, it does open up the space for another piece along the other wall.

With the couch in the middle of the room, I'm really not liking that one. It cuts off the flow of the rooms and makes the room feel much smaller than it actually is. Benefit would be a nice sofa table behind with some lamps and sculptures. However, it really cuts off the flow and makes it seem uncomfortable to be in.

The coffee table is tall in the pics. I'm not sure if it's the photography and the way it turns out in photos but it's actually lower than some of my other coffee tables. It sits below the sofa cushion. I'm not sure how much lower you can get as I'm not into coffee tables that are only a foot off the floor. I'm probably not going to change it for a while due to feasibility

But here are the pics to get some more thoughts. .
December 29, 2012 at 11:33am     
lessismoore
You have really nice pieces that all go together, no clutter, and I'm sure your coffee table is the "right height," however it is photographing (and I must admit it does look tall in the pix!). For whatever reason, the photos aren't conveying the actual sense of dimension in the room. All the arrangements look good to me, so as long as you fill in whatever ends up being the "missing piece" ... whether that's something for your bay or a chaise/buffett for a wall, but I think you are going to have to have the last word on placement as only you can do that walk around and feel it. What seems to work in certain photo set ups may look good ... but doesn't work in real life!
December 29, 2012 at 11:53am     
Cynthia Schames
I'm late to this thread but I LOVE what lessismore mocked up in Photoshop up there ^. Keeping your original furniture layout, just adding to it, makes the most impact to me. (though I admit that I adore those glass-topped, shapely coffee tables and think they'd add a sensuous and elegant curve to the room).

The curved chair in a non-beige tone near the window, plus the small seating cube, combined with the metallic accents of the tall arch lamp, mirrored piece over the sofa, and tall narrow mirrored piece next to the window all really add up to a fantastically finished-looking and comfortable space. I would probably shift the sofa away from the dining room opening a bit more though--that's my one quibble with the general layout. It feels a bit shoved into that corner.

Something no one has mentioned is the idea of a hanging light fixture as well. I'd love to see a modern, white chandelier hung a bit lower than "usual" over the coffee table (assuming you keep it in the original configuration).

Something like the attached chandeliers would bring a great deal of softness, light and add another curving, sculptural element without becoming feminine.

Last but not least, check out Candice Olsen's designs for some ideas about how to treat your lovely window. It deserves it!
December 29, 2012 at 12:17pm     
Daniel Nguyen
How about a small desk? Guests can get some work done and it can pair as a type of console table.
December 29, 2012 at 8:12pm     
PRO
JAN MOYER
I would reverse the living room and dining room entirely. Here is why. When there is a room beyond, the room in front of it needs to be passable to get to the destination room. The living room is at the front of your home with the dining behind it. My bet is the kitchen is equally close to the living room. If you REVERSE THE ROOMS , the dining will be easy to pass from the front door, the dining function is "public" anyway, and the cozier sitting will be more at the back with no need to pass THRU it. And yes, it is easy enough to move a chandelier, or switch it to a more semi flush and add a light in the "new" dining space. Just because a builder labeled the rooms, doesn't mean you have to USE them thatt way. Try it, you will be amazed.
December 30, 2012 at 5:02am     
marmey
Here is my take...I think something very textural like a rug or or driftwood scupture would be great on the wall above your sofa.Try the mirror on the dining room wall reflecting light back from the window and handsome light fixture in your dining area.perhaps ..some antlers hung in addition to driftwood to add third dimensions...seems slightly flat as it is now.because your dining room and furniture are all rectangles something curvaceous would softness all the angles?
December 30, 2012 at 5:35am   
jwilcox17
I like the idea of flipping the living room and dining room. I did that and it worked beautifully. Also, I did not like the idea of looking out from my living room to a street. But by moving the living room to the former dining room, you look out into the backyard. You gain privacy and a better view. It solved the problem of ingress and egress coming in and out of the house.
December 30, 2012 at 6:12am     
jeannemkoetje
You could also put a shelf or shelves above the couch - the shelves could hold a variety of things - collectibles, photos etc... The shelves could be painted white to match the trim or black to mimic the chairs or perhaps you can find some wall shelves the same color as your coffee table. The shelves can be different lengths or staggered above the couch. Lay different patterns out on the floor under the wall to create a pattern you like. I like the current layout of your furniture because it creates a nice flow to the dining room.
December 30, 2012 at 6:38am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
You don't "have a nice flow" to the dining room. It is congested in feeling. Dining in a dining room is not a curl up/cozy event. You don't mind sitting in the front of the house in full view of the street and you don't do it in your jammies either. Please humor me and try the flip of usage?.... and please don't start tacking up shelves and collectibles..... please : ) The best design always comes from editing and first is the best use of space. Real space is determined by TRAFFIC, and thus the real space in the living room is less than it appears. The eye wants to figure a way THRU to the space beyond.
December 30, 2012 at 6:46am     
curraghgirl
I think you need a glass topped coffee table - something lighter to add more depth to the couch - which is gorgeous. As I look at the picture the coffee table is the focal point of the room - I think the couch should be. I would remove the coffee table, end table and rug - arrange furrniture and then add lighter pieces - am thinking an oval or round glass topped coffee table and a small pedestal table between chairs in bay window - add a luxe throw or accent pillow to couch and a large mirror on opposite wall to open up the space. An irregular shaped accent rug would be nice. I like couch on opposite wall and chairs by window.
December 30, 2012 at 6:53am     
curraghgirl
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/cowhide-argentine-rug/?pkey=crugs-by-color&cm_src=rugs-by-color||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

How about this rug ? Masculine and would also show off the couch
December 30, 2012 at 7:00am   
PRO
Weego Home
Space is coming along. It fun reading everyone's great ideas. Regardless of the layout, the space needs some plants. Plants bring height, color, shape, and life to a space. Palms, fig plants (lollipop style).
December 30, 2012 at 9:05am   
PRO
Montgomery Communications
wonderful comments from everyone.

Has anyone suggested using the piece you aready have? Put it behind the sofa, it would be great there. it does not make the area with the two chairs cohesive, it just adds clutter.

get a thinner coffee table,
and then behind the two chairs, put a wall of bookcases.

that would cozy up the area with the two chairs, and pull it together.

i am concerned that you will not like this next idea, that is, the photographs make the two chairs look too deep for the space, at the risk of being unpopular, is it possible to replace them with chairs that are not so deep? (i am sure the answer is a firm "no", but if possible, narrower chairs would fit the space better.

other thought: coffee tables are just not gracious. they aren't. and this one is smack dab in the middle of traffic. side tables give more options for flair and design and color, etc etc etc., and bring intimacy to a room. a coffee table is always a divider and an interrupter, and just clunky. they were originally designed to serve from, which is why they are so big. are you (or any of us, in fact, bringing in a huge coffee service on a tray with multiple cups, etc? guessing no.

try putting the coffee table in the bay window, stack it with books, candles, and see if it adds interest and depth to that part of the room.

:-) :-) you are brave, putting yourself out there for comments. and an adventurer, for trying the different arrangements.
December 30, 2012 at 9:10am   
lessismoore
I think JanMoyer is right (or has a very valid point, this depends greatly on the space(s) available) ... When I gaze at all the various set ups, the only one that really "flows" at all into the dining is the one where the coffee table is on the wall and not in the middle of the seating! But that leaves your living room looking rather ... lopsided and unfinished. However, your dining room does seem to have access via the hall ... somewhere on the left? So, you probably need to think about the ergonomics of it all (unless you have already). Do you enter via living or dining? I can't tell if you even have room in your dining for the furnishings of the living room. I suppose, if you had the dining room in the front room, you could still use the bay with the chairs there and have room for a buffett on the side. Or maybe you just close off that option - add some doors to the dining room opening?
December 30, 2012 at 9:10am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
Look, this is a very common floor plan. The outside (right) walls look to be identical, with a short wall separating the rooms thus the rooms are logically IDENTICAL widths. They are probably close to identical in length as well, with the possible exception of the bay window bump out. It is TRAFFIC that decides space. It is easy to walk past a dining table with the chairs tucked in. It is easy to eat at the front of the house. You can go in circles adding rugs, or doo dads and shelves and plants. Or you can try and fix the problem. The problem is nobody but nobody wants to stumble THROUGH a seating area, and over a coffee table to get to a dining space. Try the reversal and I think you will see what I mean. And the view from the front door will draw your eye BACK to the sitting area, further increasing the sense of beyond. Just TRY IT.
December 30, 2012 at 9:20am     
I may have missed this suggestion but you need to anchor these pieces. This is an easy trick without replacing anything or starting over. A pillow(s) in a similar color as your chairs added to your existing pillows would do the trick. Try using a folded dark shirt or pants next to the existing pillow to see how that feels before buying anything. I don't know what your budget is but Target has some great pillows. Where the shirt/pants to the store when you go shopping so you select the right color. Or use a paint chip. Select something with texture.

If you paint the empty wall one shade darker than existing color it will push the wall out and make the room appear larger. Then add these mirrors to capture light from all directions and pull in the darker colors for balance. Three would be good. Affordable and can be used anywhere, anytime.
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/dubois-wall-mirror/s154431 On Sale right now.

Good luck. Its been fun. Just remember, in a small space, less is best and a few colors will give you the sophisticated, masculine look you mentioned you want.

I like the coffee table. If you add a large book with a light jacket cover or a stack of light colored books and something else that interests you, your done.
December 30, 2012 at 9:52am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
It is a typical NON-pro effort to go around the problem and not fix one single thing in a room. If design were simply about adding STUFF, whether that be art, or pillows or folded pants to test a plllow color,or plants or, or or......I am begging.... try switching the rooms. I am literally down to BEGGING. : ) No offense taken I hope, as NONE is intended. Solve the problem FIRST.
December 30, 2012 at 10:01am     
Oh, I would leave the bay area alone except to hang some lovely linen like drapes in a darker shade of the wall color on a dark wood rod. Look at Pottery Barn http://tinyurl.com/ah6h6wb.

Scale is really important in any room but especially in small spaces. Don't skimp. Do dbl panels on each side if it needs it. These are also on sale.

If you are or have worked with a designer she will be able to find fabrics for this. If you need privacy consider a roman shade(s).
December 30, 2012 at 10:02am   
lizmaguire
I think you'll have the best luck with the sofa in its original place, a smaller coffee table (I like glass tops because they take up less visual space) or even two small square side tables instead. It will help with the traffic flow too. As much as you seem to like your coffee table, it just isn't right for the space and does not compliment the other pieces. Get some mirrors and play with them oriented over the sofa and on the opposite wall, the proper place totally depends on the style you choose, but consider pieces or an arrangement that draw your eye up, you need something vertical going on amid all the horizontal orientations. Remember to not only consider how the room looks while you're sitting on the sofa, but also how it looks as you pass by in the adjacent rooms; you may spend more time viewing the room from a distance than from within. With your chairs in front of the windows, anything you add there needs to lend softness and be visually lightweight since the chairs have significant bulk. A garden stool would work nicely there; they come in all sorts of colors and patterns that would break up the block of brown created by the chairs and give you a small tabletop surface or a perfect perch for a small plant and they come in handy for extra seating in a pinch.
December 30, 2012 at 10:11am     
csgs
Here is another furniture arrangement option....leave sofa on original wall, move trunk to window end of sofa, move one brown chair next to trunk in front of window to form a right angle to sofa. Put a chest or console type piece of furniture next to brown chair under architectural print. Try a narrower coffee table perhaps an oval. Here is a mirror wall idea for over sofa. It was in the "Inhabiture" store in Palo Alto, Ca.
December 30, 2012 at 10:16am     
PRO
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
I just had to jump into this fun discussion, I think so many are chiming in because you have a great space started. Love your masculine, clean, monochromatic look because men look more manly and women more feminine in this look. Here are a couple pieces of art you might like. Best, INSIDEOUT Diane
December 30, 2012 at 10:19am   
Jan,
I am a designer. And, am listening to the client.
December 30, 2012 at 10:19am     
lessismoore
JanMoyer- do you have access to post any photos of making that kind of change? It may prove more "inspiring" to the poster. I did a search here, but could only find one that sort of worked.

December 30, 2012 at 10:56am   
PRO
SkylA Interiors
You did great on re-arranging your living room. I like the first pix that you posted. Sofa on the wall with the art above it. My suggestions will be bamboo shades or roman shades will look good on your windows or a high ceiling draperies. If you don't like your coffee table, you can use round glass table like what "decoenthusiaste" posted. Gray flokati or shag rug will look good and adding warm throw pillows such as red will make your room pop. Across from the sofa, add little round mirrors or mirror to make your living room look big. Mirrors add a lot of light to a living room. Good luck!
December 30, 2012 at 11:02am   
quincyboy1
Good for you for experimenting with the furniture placement !! I don't think reversing the rooms would work at all, since your dining room looks to be smaller than the front room. And I don't think your room can afford another chair either. The best arrangement, in my opinon, is the one with the sofa facing the bay window. I thought the chairs would work in the bay, but they are too large. Try placing the sofa and the chairs into a conversational mode. By that I mean, pull all three pieces into the middle of the room as much as you can, between the bay window and the entrance to the dining room. Pull the sofa away from the blank wall as much as possible, but still allowing traffic flow on the opposite side. Turn the rug so that it's longest part lays horizontal with the furniture pieces. Leave the furniture pieces off the rug, but just slightly. Your coffee table is too large for these three pieces of furniture, but that aside, the idea is to bring the three pieces into a cluster, as the focal point of the room while still allowing traffic flow. You only need 13-15 inches (at most) between these four pieces. This arrangment will make the room look larger, and less like a rectangle. Then, you could put a console table in the bay window with maybe a small lamp and candles. You might also want to consider a bolder rug with print and color since the rug you have is too close in color to the sofa. Add one or two tall plants as accents in the corner(s), and bring in a contrast color (deep burgundy or lime green prints would work nice) with pillows and artwork. Once you get the furniture placement nailed down, the rest will be easy since you've received so many good ideas for the blank wall. Try this furniture placement, Daniel . . . please !! I would love to see it. BTW, love the light fixture over the dining room table. You have great taste !! Good Luck !!
December 30, 2012 at 11:25am   
Christine
Why don't you do a collection of white ceramic antlers or a tryptic of a popular site like the Eiffel Tower. Seeing as you have large art pieces you could do a collection of antique mirrors in a variety of older frames
December 30, 2012 at 11:41am   
lessismoore
Moving right along :-) I do love that Klieg light so, what about film reel "art"
Contemporary Artwork design by Other Metro Touch of Class

December 30, 2012 at 11:45am   
Mari Becker
I actually like the picture where you moved the couch to the wall w/ the large print and the tub chairs & trunk table to the window well. What if you put a chaise or upholstered bench on the other wall (where couch started) that is not too deep, but gives more seating and just went without the coffee table altogether and used side tables where needed. I also think your idea of a small desk (could be an actual console - maybe lucite?) and an upholstered chair (simple parsons?) would be lovely, too. You have some great pieces and the fact that you can change things up now and then is a real plus - having good basics and being able to make changes with pillows, tables, lamps, etc, is wonderful.
May I add that asking and getting advice on houzz is supposed to be fun and light hearted, not mean and demanding.....you know who I mean!
December 30, 2012 at 12:04pm   
PRO
InteriorsbyDesign
There are quite a few great suggestions listed here. Your home is lovely, with good bones. I like the placement of the sofa along the wall, as you originally had it. The two leather chairs can either remain across from the sofa, or if room permits; place them in the bay with a smaller table between them.
The point is not to crowd the room with too much furniture. Again, less is more.
If keeping the chair placement across from the sofa, I would not put the existing trunk table between them; but keep the chairs together, and do not angle them into the room. A smaller table could still be placed between the chairs, if you wish, but is not necessary.
I also favor a smaller glass top, sculptural cocktail table with a wood base, as suggested by Decoenthusiaste above. The table can also be a simple, all-glass design, to give the space an airy look. I love the idea of a slim, sleek console with cube ottomans underneath, and a mirror above; placed across from the sofa, in lieu of the chairs(as pictured above). That would give you more room to move through the room.
That said, there may be no room in the bay for the chairs and end table. Again, be careful about over-doing it with too much furniture for the space. If you do keep the chairs in here across from the sofa, a simple, small piece in the bay would be okay. A small bench, contemporary glass and metal bar cart, small console, etc...
I like the idea of one large mirror over the sofa or console table, with a contemporary painting on the opposing wall. Simple, and elegant.You have some great pieces. Just need to compliment them with a few new furniture pieces and some nice art and accessories.
Good luck to you.
December 30, 2012 at 12:05pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Who's house is it? He asked for ideas for above the sofa. Leave your furniture in the original placement. You have a lot of square shapes and lines, I would center over the sofa a very large, round mirror with a simple but large and solid frame (maybe even wood like the coffee table top). Flank the mirror with 4 (2 each side) framed alike, somethings (etchings, architectural drawings, whatever). Done. If you want additional ideas, I would add woven woods on the windows and "to the ceiling" natural fiber (linen/silk) panels on sides on black iron rods. 2 large ottomans in front of windows that can be pulled up for additional seating when necessary, tall green plants and floor lamp lighting. I would also paint the ceiling a 1/3 shade of the walls to remove that large white ceiling that makes the room smaller. But remember, do it YOUR way. Much happiness in your beautiful home.
December 30, 2012 at 12:11pm     
Mari Becker
I actually like the picture where you moved the couch to the wall w/ the large print and the tub chairs & trunk table to the window well. What if you put a chaise or upholstered bench on the other wall (where couch started) that is not too deep, but gives more seating and just went without the coffee table altogether and used side tables where needed. I also think your idea of a small desk (could be an actual console - maybe lucite?) and an upholstered chair (simple parsons?) would be lovely, too. You have some great pieces and the fact that you can change things up now and then is a real plus - having good basics and being able to make changes with pillows, tables, lamps, etc, is wonderful.
May I add that asking and getting advice on houzz is supposed to be fun and light hearted, not mean and demanding.....you know who I mean!
December 30, 2012 at 12:13pm     
PRO
JAN MOYER
I believe it costs virtually nothing to try an arrangement before one adds/changes elements in a room. The operative word, as suggested of course was try. It is nice to do this on paper first, but since this was simply a "visual" question with no actual dimensions it was suggestion. If I restricted ideas to only those requested by my clients, most would have far less useful and attractive spaces. When a builder hangs a chandelier in a room, it is often perceived that space must forever remain a dining area, or in the absence of light, forever a sitting space. And very often, one finds a nice surprise in ignoring the builders intent. And I believe you know what I MEAN.
December 30, 2012 at 12:41pm     
Thank you, Minnetonkamari. This was my first time posting and I was surprised and offended by her remarks.

As a designer, understanding the initial questions, concerns and budget of a client is as important as the actual work. Daniel is living there, I am not. He expressed many times that the placement works for him. After reviewing Daniel's ideabook, he is doing an excellent job interpreting his inspirations and taste. I simply offered a few decorating tricks of my own.

I do like the mirrors from Crate and Barrel and have used them numerous times. Big impact on a low budget. They always look good and can be split up and used elsewhere in the next house. However, in this case I opt for 6 not 3. That is based on the tight, clean style he has presented us. Round with something on the side would be nice, too. Anything reflective. I do like the idea of woven woods providing they have a lining (darkening for security day and night) since the windows face the sidewalk and the front door.
December 30, 2012 at 12:54pm     
lessismoore
I can't say I "like" the way Jan said it, but I have to agree with the substance of it. We don't have a floorplan, and I think the photos, while wonderful and plentiful, have some degree of distortion - e.g. the coffee table height debate - clearly, to most all, it looked too tall and clearly, he states again and again, it is lower than it seems. It seems to me that the poster had decided on the original layout, as the most workable for living and just wanted some ideas to fill in the empty bits, and yet, he was willing to indulge everyone with all the possible configurations asked for! What a good sport ... and it shows a real willingness to pursue "perfection." Leaving no stone unturned. So Daniel - (who I hope is out and about and enjoying life) just let us know if you've ever considered it at all practical to switch the rooms about - would the dimensions there even work? If not, fine. But If so, don't dump the message just because it wasn't cushioned in eiderdown. Ultimately, the goal is to offer the best fit and solution for him ... and of course we do this because it is fun for us!
December 30, 2012 at 1:36pm     
Mari Becker
Folks, lighten up. This isn't a contest, Daniel is not your client, he's just a nice guy asking for a few "suggestions." Let's just keep this nice and not use a bunch of CAPITAL letters and demanding sentences and just have fun. Whether you think it's right or stupid, every opinion is valued, there's no boss of suggestions on here and who knows which one might work or which one/s Daniel may end up trying out. Whether it's "right" in the eyes of A.S.I.D. or not, if someone likes it - great!
December 30, 2012 at 3:19pm     
PRO
here's a concept of not putting anything behind the couch -- see what you think :-)
have never tried to post a photo here, so plz laugh if it does not work. LOL
December 30, 2012 at 3:31pm   
PRO
ha. 2nd try.
as i was looking at it again, i noticed the coffee table shape, and thought of what other posters here have said. but, again, the art/poster that is already there looks great behind the sofa. either this 'empty' look is great, or, simply move the one that is there. :-)
December 30, 2012 at 3:33pm   
vtlady52
I love your color choices, very calm and soothing. If you leave the sofa in the original position, try hanging a narrow (8"?) bookshelf that just fits on that short wall on the right side of the sofa. It could be positioned above the sofa arms and work as a small bookcase or a display area. I also love your idea of the mirrors over the sofa. If you move the sofa to the other wall, the mirrors will work in that spot regardless of what you put there instead. I love the chandelier over your dining table. It is a great choice and goes well with your taste. If I were you, I would trust my own taste. You have good instincts and should be comfortable following your own design ideas.
December 30, 2012 at 6:21pm   
PRO
A Staging Company by Sandy Pontius
I think moving the picture that is behind the two chairs to above sofa placing it low add a large plant to the right side of the sofa with spot light to add interest. Place two rectangle benches below windows for extra sitting add low plant between. For more color in the room pick an accent color that you like for top of benches and add pillows in same or similar colors for sofa .
December 30, 2012 at 6:36pm   
If you or your guests are allergic to plants try artificial. I don't know where you live but there are fantastic silk/plastic like plants and trees out there these days. Some are strictly trade purchase but with some clever shopping you might get the same results. Cacti types are expensive but add a colossal punch to a sleek, masculine design.

Outdoor Lounge Furniture

Personal Resort, Las Vegas, NV

note the reflective pots Ecologia Montreal

It may be a bit of a stretch but what about a water feature on that unfinished wall but you must disguise the cord. http://tinyurl.com/ba5p9jk
December 30, 2012 at 7:44pm   
springchicken41
The room needs a bookcase. Ttry it on the wall across from the sofa. And yes, the table is out of proportion. It looks best against the wall.
December 30, 2012 at 8:01pm   
Cat Rowe
Your furniture is all the same height. You need sometime all. Floor lamp, drapes, gorgeous vintage bookcase. You are doing a great job. I do like the way you pulled the couch across the room. Nice!
December 30, 2012 at 8:22pm   
athtex
To address your original question- take a look at these: 3D Glue on Wall Panel Plant Fiber Material - on Ebay - they glue on (easy!) & you can leave them white for contrast, or paint them- they come in several designs- I would use them as "art" by placing 6-9 panels in a grouping. Love your space & furniture!
December 30, 2012 at 11:15pm     
PRO
Cheery Curtains
what about some nice curtains? I will attach some photos you may like. For more curtain designs, welcome to my Houzz page1
December 31, 2012 at 2:09am   
PRO
Prime Walls
I LOVE your space, the colour pallet, the mood, and the rustic feel; everything works so well together, it has a very "restoration hardware" feel to it, well done.
As for the empty wall space behind the couch, why not try a mural, it is the easiest way to fill up the majority of the space, you will have an outstanding "wow" factor to it, and you can find a piece that fits the aesthetic of your space.
Here are a few examples, but there are so many more to choose from here at Primewalls.
Good Luck, and Happy New Year!

Primewalls.com
December 31, 2012 at 8:23am     
Daniel Nguyen
For the layout. The dining room is about 12'x12 and the living about 12'x15'. I have attached the image of what my layout looks like from the front entrance vantage. I like the dining where it is because it gives me easy access to the kitchen and for when I have additional guests to extend the table and eat together.

I have guests over quite often and the larger living provides good space for discussion, fun etc... Another thing that was mentioned is the road. The front of my house is quieter than the back. My backyard is on a main road while the front is in a crescent rarely taken unless you live in the neighborhood.

With regard to layout, if the couch was on the wall with art and the 2 chairs in the bay window, I like the idea of industrial/rustic bookshelves on the blank wall. I would remove the coffee table and add couple of nice small ottomans in it's place (I have attached pic).

Only thing is that I have another family room which has a wall of bookshelves already. So that bookshelf in the living room would be more for accessories, art, decor a few books. (pic of my other room is attached also)

I also just got delivered a sideboard/console in the dining room for some extra storage, lamp and art above it.
December 31, 2012 at 10:53am   
collettec
Another option if you want shelving for accessories, art, etc would be floating shelves above any furniture, which would give you flexibility for whatever seating you wanted under it.
December 31, 2012 at 11:00am   
Mari Becker
I think your final idea - industrial bookshelves and a couple ottomans is great! Go for it. You'll be able to do a lot of interesting things with the books, object d'art, etc. Sometimes Overstock.com has some great bookcases that are similar to your coffee table. I'd put a gorgeous mirror over that new console and maybe two slender tall lamps or two tall hurricane lamp/candle holders. Love that chandelier over the dining room table, by the way! You have great taste and a very nice little house. Bravo!
December 31, 2012 at 11:01am     
Christine
I think a small lucite desk would be nice paired with a Ghost Chair. Then in the seat of the Chair I would put a fuzzy seat cover from Ikea (they have a faux sheepskin for like $10 and you can cut it down for the seat.. For the wall I also like the juju headdresses. They come in a multitude of colors and you can do a small grouping of them combined with some African art masks. Just to mix the place up.
December 31, 2012 at 1:53pm     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Those windows do not have a lot of depth and should use a cellular shade. I carry some amazing motorized shades that are low profile and very inexpensive.

Outside of that you can add a few drapery panels to really finish off the space.

I see you are in Toronto. Check us out.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/contact-us.html http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/cellular-shades.html
January 1, 2013 at 12:28am   
Natalie
Your space is Gorgeous-Love it!
Simple art for behind the sofa---you could probably make it yourself-wood (2 x 4's) painted with various patinas, sooo inexpensive and easy... 2 small tables on either side of sofa (mirrored as in pic #2) and paired with lamps will complete that side of your room. I think a small scaled chaise, table and lamp OR a console table with an ottoman or two tucked underneath could fill the bay area. Hope this is helpful. Keep us posted. Good Luck!
[houzz=Eclectic Modern Tudor Family Room][houzz=Contemporary Living Room 1][houzz=Contemporary Living Room 2][houzz=Lake House]
January 1, 2013 at 1:22am   
jokyrt
this room needs a t.v . otherwise no one will use it!
January 1, 2013 at 1:37pm   
jokyrt
and also a close to the ceiling chandelier or light fixture in the center of the ceiling.
January 1, 2013 at 1:40pm   
Daniel Nguyen
Jokyrt, no t.v needed. I'm not a big TV person. Don't even have cable. I think another chandelier is too much since the dining room chandelier will be in full view.
January 1, 2013 at 9:20pm     
vtlady52
Daniel, I think it is funny that you asked the question of the wall, etc. As I said in my earlier post, your space is amazing. I am sure that YOU could teach all of us a thing or two about design! I am even more impressed since you posted the additional photos. Wow.
January 2, 2013 at 7:17am     
jjdesignkloos
i agree vtlady52!
January 2, 2013 at 9:30am     
Daniel Nguyen
Thanks! I just wanted more opinions than perhaps my own box in my head. It's a work in progress and I enjoy design a lot. I'm a Realtor and do get the opportunities to do renos and decorating work for clients before a sale.

Sometimes other people have ideas you haven't t thought of. . I'll post more pics as it comes along. Just need the budget to do so. I'm very cost conscientious. If I wasn't than I can m are the room exactly like how I want it but because of price restrictions, I must wait for the right pieces at the right price.
January 2, 2013 at 2:04pm   
Laurie
I think you got it right here with this photo you attached above. As far as the wall art goes, I would try to draw in different media with some sort of sculpted piece as suggested above. Adding a plant (real or good quality fake) will help too.
The room looks very nice with what you have, you really don't need to do much to the room at all.
January 2, 2013 at 2:42pm   
Daniel Nguyen
I'm still on the fence with that layout. It might look good in pics but I'm not sure if it's practical since I use my living room for conversation. It's not a great conversation if you're not facing each other.

Here's a coffee table that might fit and add the same function at a smaller size and make it look spacious.

I might just do a console in that window with room for a laptop for guests and myself to do some quick work on.
January 2, 2013 at 10:28pm     
Daniel Nguyen
The dimensions on that coffee table are about 4 inches shorter in length and width as well as about an inch and a half shorter. Seems to be a better fit for the space plus the glass will really open it up. The chrome steel finish in the legs will go well with the spotlight.

I think I'll buy this tomorrow and see how it looks.
January 2, 2013 at 10:34pm   
oregon2012
Nice pain color
January 2, 2013 at 10:37pm   
Manon Floreat
I like your original layout with chairs opposite the sofa. I agree that it's more conversational. Rather than buying a new coffee table, how about a glass console for the bay window? It won't impede the light that comes through - in fact it will bounce it around the room.
January 2, 2013 at 10:45pm   
Darzy
Hi Daniel..Your idea of a "workspace" table I like! This one is curvy and yummy.

January 2, 2013 at 10:59pm     
PRO
Gina Sofia Martelli , ASID
The artwork you have make the room look narrower , when the room actually needs to look wider.
A mirrored wall instead of a wall of mirrors would be quite effective.Tinted glass would give the best effect.
You could also consider adding "windows" matching arched mirrorsi with metal overlay to imitate a palladian window.
A capiz sheel wall covering from Maya Romanoff Is also another option (see photo)

A photo mural or trompe l'oeuil wallpaper would open up the room through perspective - a window to the world-a wonderful garden vista, a city skyline at night or panorama on the Amalfi coast.
January 2, 2013 at 11:27pm   
jeslyn7
I like your original layout, move your large framed art to behind your sofa,(opposite wall) and put a few smaller art pieces on the wall with your chairs, really like that coffee table you are going to purchase, will look much better. Your console idea is good too, I love the minimal clean lines, do not add too much, a few more art pieces in your dining area...perfect!
January 2, 2013 at 11:28pm     
jansgirl
Holy crap!! This whole house is gorgeous!! I'd like to know where you bought everything if it wasn't Restoration Hardware because I'd copy you almost piece for piece!! Love the look, the neutrals..gaaaa!

My only, ONLY comment is to add something alive, something that speaks of YOU. Your family room says that and I feel that element is missing in this room. If I lived here (which I would gladly do) I'd buy an antique telescope on a wooden stand for the bay window area. And a stool. Just enough whimsy and a conversation starter to be sure!!
January 3, 2013 at 12:51am   
jansgirl
...and another lamp and a big fern or two. Over the sofa, I vote for Barbara Griffith's round mirror and "etchings" suggestions. Hope to see more pictures on this one!!
January 3, 2013 at 1:08am   
Norma Sassone
Really? Gorgeous? Not to be blunt, but it looks unfinished - has no personal soul, to me. I know we do not want to get all grandma knick-knacky here - but this room needs some color (It reminds mean of how everyone in The Giver could only see shades of black and gray.) and some art, and to look like someone actually lives there. Here's an example of a mostly neutral room with a bit of color and some personal things to make it seem like a home and not a furniture display. If the aqua is too feminine, pick black and red, or orange and charcoal grey.
January 3, 2013 at 3:35pm   
PRO
Alexei Rebrov Art
I also think that that room needs some color. How about this art print? http://alexeirebrov.com/collections/frontpage/products/living-room-wall-design-2

or similar from the same collection... http://alexeirebrov.com

Daniel, would you like to see how it looks on your wall?
January 3, 2013 at 3:59pm     
Daniel Nguyen
Wow. Great additional comments.

The reason why it may look unfinished and not like a home is because it really is not finished. Secondly, I'm a single guy with not much personal things to begin with (I moved here with literally just clothing.

@Manon, I might go with both that coffee table and a similar console (maybe even matching a bit) I'm still unsure though.

@ Darzy, that option is still there for me although a roundish table may not work.

@Gina, not sure if I'm really into that style. The rest of your post looks like another language to me haha.

@Jansgirl, Thank you, it's still in the works. Only my dining table and chairs were from restoration hardware (mind you on clearance and it's one of the cheaper dining tables). The rest were sourced from different stores. The Rugs are from ELTE in the Toronto area, got it on sale. The 2 tub chairs are from Wicker Emporium (A very minimal $350 each). Found the spotlight lamp at Costco (about $200) Sofa was from Conerstone Furniture (Manufacturer is Robin Bruce by Rowe Furniture) Sideboard Console in Dining Room is from a store called a Special Place, it's from a previous manufacturer of RH. Artwork is $80 at Homesense.

@Norma, I haven't got to the point of adding accessories yet. That will come. I'm setting up the neutral palette and will add colour as I see fit. I actually like the neutral tone for now. I'm trying to get my furniture pieces in first before I get those little things.

@Alexei, I'm not a big fan of the modern abstract for my decor style in this house. (Other houses maybe)
January 3, 2013 at 4:25pm     
PRO
InteriorsbyDesign
I agree that you need accessorizing, window treatments, art, mirror... However, you don't have to add wild, bold colors if that is not your style. I personally love a sophisticated neutral palette. You can add interest with texture: woven wood blinds, pillows, area rug, floor-length drapery panels with pattern or wide banding at the bottom, minimalist accessories, live plants...etc.
We know you are just starting. Take your time and get what you like. After all, it is your home and you should do what suits you and gives you a comfortable, attractive space. Looks like you are on the right track, and you have a good sense of style. You can get many ideas and inspiration from home design magazines, furniture showrooms and galleries, and on this site.

Happy decorating!
January 3, 2013 at 6:13pm     
curraghgirl
I like the arrangement you did with the back of couch to the dining area- it created good traffic flow. I am not sure how much space you have but one other option ( like you need it :) is perhaps leave couch against wall as you had it first, and put one leather chair on the left of couch with back to bay window and the other one with back to dining area - coffee table in front of couch - like in a C formation - this would be good for conversation. This would keep a good traffic flow from front. Beautiful neutral palette -so soothing - love it. Keep it neutral :)
January 4, 2013 at 7:06am   
Daniel Nguyen
@curraghgirl The other arrangement I tried too but than I feel like the back of the dining chair and the other chair would be too close and looks a bit silly. I think the best is slightly smaller coffee table in glass to open up the feel of the space.
January 4, 2013 at 12:51pm   
curraghgirl
I thought it may be a little tight - I agree with your coffee table idea - your house is beautiful and I love your taste - so I am sure it will all come together soon. Please post pictures of the finished look - I would love to see it - you are inspiring me!! I love the neutral look too!!
January 4, 2013 at 3:52pm   
PRO
Smilow + Mathiesen
A great piece of art has the loudest voice in the room and will complement your already existing nice design. Choose one that is horizontal to mirror the size of the wall.
January 4, 2013 at 5:31pm   
PRO
Smilow + Mathiesen
A great piece of art has the loudest voice in the room and will complement your already existing nice design. Choose one that is horizontal to mirror the size of the wall.
January 4, 2013 at 5:32pm   
fabia
I personally would love to see some antiquity. Large columns, a warrior. In the window nook. I think the room needs a contrast. Find an architectural salvage yard. They are a great source of interesting items. The room is so smooth. So new. adding something from antiquity will add texture, dimensions and a hip conversation piece.
January 4, 2013 at 6:00pm     
PRO
Daniel, your postings on your site here sort of answer your own question. The rooms you picked consitently have a simple black framed something, on a white matt. VERY nice!

look for something akin to what you already like.

you could get an antique map, framed in the style you are drawn to.

other options that will stay with what you are drawn to would be black and white photographs, again, framed as above.

or come graphic modern chinese calligraphy.
January 4, 2013 at 6:43pm     
Darzy
Hi Daniel. We all know you have great taste and have we have all given our two cents worth..and more. : ) I think we've covered all the possibilites and we hope you show us your finished design! Truthfully, I think your space would have been great, with, or without our input! Please post your final product.
January 4, 2013 at 11:50pm     
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Love your style Daniel and I agree furniture should be neutral and accents and color can come with accessories that can easily be replaced. Can't wait to see your after photos I love your home.
January 4, 2013 at 11:56pm     
PRO
LUMINHOME OPTOELECTRONIC CO.,LTD
we are manufacture in China , looking for distributor of solar garden light, web:www.oksolarled.com Email: kinglingelectric@gmail.com
January 5, 2013 at 12:35am   
PRO
MirrorWindows.com
Hi Daniel. Here is an idea for a mirror collage: Mirror Windows that match your trim would look great above the sofa. They would also give the appearance of an added architectural element.
http://mirrorwindows.com/id92.html
January 20, 2013 at 6:58am   
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Hi Daniel,
I haven't read all the other comments, so I hope I'm not repeating any ideas.
How about putting the artwork that's currently above the chairs over the sofa, and installing a wall mounted electric fireplace over the chairs? (they mount like a plasma tv would)
A fireplace will add another element of design, plus a layer of accent/mood lighting to your space.
You've got a great start and have a beautiful space already!
Have fun, and I'd love to see after photos when you're done!
Caroline
January 20, 2013 at 7:07am