Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living room needs serious help
Vanessa Thomas
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My living room is a small 12x12 with an adjoining foyer. I need help with furniture placement and what type of furniture (sofa, chairs, etc.) I have taken pics of three angles of the room.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I did a quick drawing for you before I saw this post which has an additional photo, so my drawing only shows 1 window. Your coffee table should fit fine in my drawing. I'm not certain about your entertainment center.

My favorite furniture combination is a sofa and 2 chairs. Because of the limited space in your living room, I have drawn a 78 x 36" sofa for you. Be aware that there are lots of sofas on the market that are far bigger than that. Any man you take shopping with you will want the BIG one! That's the one that will NOT fit, at least not well. So if you are contemplating new furniture, please take the preferred measurements with you AND a tape measure! Men are notoriously inaccurate on sizes!

Finding the right chair can be even more challenging. I like your small chair that is in a corner but it doesn't look like a really comfy chair. I like to buy chairs in pairs. Look for a nice comfy chair that has arms, but not the huge arms that take up too much space. No recliners! I'm not anti-recliner, but you don't really have the space for a pair of recliners. Try for a chair that is 32" wide x 30" deep.

The circles with an X are lamps. If your budget is limited and you have an Ikea near you, they have wonderful lamps at great prices.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
December 27, 2012 at 12:37PM   
janishill
Hi Vanessa! It is difficult to see the room because of the glare. Can you take a shot from standing in front of teh window by the TV toward teh other side? That should show everything better and we need to see that side anyway. :-)

Are you going to purchase new furniture or do we need to work with what you have?

One thing I can tell you is that your pictures are hung too high and you don't need one on every wall.
December 27, 2012 at 12:48PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
@Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design, good ideas as usual.
December 27, 2012 at 12:52PM