powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Suggestions on exterior paint and siding?
hmschoolmom
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We bought this fixer upper over 5 years ago and all of our focus has been on making the inside clean and livable. This spring I would like to focus in the outside. The bottom half of the house is brick and the top half is a wood siding painted red. My husband would like to paint the brick and either paint the siding (short term) or install vinyl siding (long term) but I'm wondering about colors. Is there a color that would coordinate with the red brick well or should we paint it all the same color and if so, what would be recommended? How about the shutters and front doors? I added a picture of the side because of the low roof line which has been a dilemma in choosing a contrasting shade for siding and brick. Thoughts?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lulamarie
Couple ideas if you don't paint the brick:
Brucewood
Topar

Couple ideas if you do:
Mid-Century Modern Atlanta
Addition

Replacing the metal decorative posts with more sturdy wood posts will make a huge difference. Also, if you go more neutral with the house, you can paint your door a happy color and liven up the front with landscaping.
December 27, 2012 at 1:23PM     
Harrut
Hi, what a lovely looking house you have.
I like the metal work myself, reminds me of Victorian England!
That said, I guess it depends on how adventurous you are with colour.... As you are surrounded by trees I'd like a cream colour, and the black shutter surrounds painted cream too.
A lovely Wisteria to start trailing across the mid height if your house would look beautiful ....once the plant starts flowering.
December 27, 2012 at 1:52PM   
Chroma Natrix
Hi there... I agree. What a charming home and location!

My strategy is to put money in the "meat" of a project first, then do the "gravy" last. I understand why you wish to unify the appearance. Instead of painting the brick (which is expensive and requires regular re-painting-- more maintenance), I'd use the money you save painting to replace the siding upstairs and then attempt to make it harmonize with the brick in two ways:

1. Pattern: use a siding with narrow horizontal slats very similar to the height of the rows of bricks.
2. Color: paint the new siding to match the brick color as exactly as possible.

Even if you decide to paint the brick, I'd match the siding to it.

Because you have a black or dark roof (in the pictures hard to tell), I'd leave the shutter color the same for now.

To highlight your charming front porch and open up the front and make the house more inviting,you could widen the front steps, put windows in your front doors, and replace the wrought iron with columns. Brick edged beds with evergreen shrubs and a sidewalk out front could also enhance the curb appeal. A handrail on the front steps could also add interest (black iron or white wood?)

I was happy to see your question because I'm considering buying a house with orange brick and painted siding with no front sidewalk and a gray roof! So I couldn't resist photoshopping your picture to illustrate how it might look with the same changes I'm considering.

Best of luck with your project!
December 28, 2012 at 4:15PM     
Chroma Natrix
One image with grey-green painted brick etc., another two-tone, and another in cream as suggested by a friend above. By the way, painting the gutter downspout the same color as the brick is a super-simple way to help de-clutter the look of the front of the house.
December 30, 2012 at 10:47AM     
cohoek
Hi, what if the top half were white, and leave the brick as is? Such a shame to paint brick. Or what if the top half were the same color grey as the roof with white shudders all round? chroma Natrix help!!!?
December 30, 2012 at 10:58AM   
hmschoolmom
@chroma natrix--Wow--that is so cool how you did that on photo shop. THANK YOU!! fantastic ideas. Several of those ideas were definitely on our back burners but after looking at your suggestions, I think I'll move them to the front. :-)

You can check out my blog to see what we did with our kitchen this year. This is why those things haven't happened yet. Lol. http://www.maranathamusings.blogspot.com/?m=1
December 30, 2012 at 1:24PM   
Chroma Natrix
to hmschoolmom. I looked up your kitchen! Wow... what a beautiful transformation. I can't believe you and your family did so much yourselves. Impressive. I used the magic of photoshop to lighten it up a little bit so I could see it better. See below.
December 30, 2012 at 2:28PM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I love what Chroma did with Photoshop and wish I knew how to do that! I'd love for you to leave the brick as is and paint the siding a medium dark taupe.
December 30, 2012 at 2:35PM     
hmschoolmom
@chroma natrix-Super cool! You are a photoshop whiz! BTW, I appreciated the added landscaping. We pulled out some ugly overgrown stuff when we moved in and need to replace it. You chose almost exactly what I had in mind. :-). I was thinking 3 tall conifers between the windows on the right and we had planted a hydrangea on the right where you placed another conifer but it died :-( Thank you for all he great ideas!
December 30, 2012 at 2:47PM   
Chroma Natrix
Good Idea Carolyn! Is this what you were thinking?
December 30, 2012 at 2:48PM     
Chroma Natrix
or a little darker?
December 30, 2012 at 2:50PM     
hmschoolmom
I meant 3 conifers on the LEFT. Lol.
December 30, 2012 at 2:51PM   
Chroma Natrix
So welcome hmschoolmom! It was fun, and gave me some ideas for the home we've made an offer on to boot!
December 30, 2012 at 2:53PM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Thanks, Chroma! Just a shade darker I think, but love seeing it!
December 30, 2012 at 2:56PM   
nly04
Nice job with Photo Shop. I'm having trouble selecting paint for several rooms. I think we may purchase the program to assist us with our paint selections.
December 30, 2012 at 2:57PM   
hmschoolmom
Those are great ideas. I like the taupe, especially the darker one and the green from the earlier pictures. All excited, I showed hubby and he is leaning toward painting monochromatic or paint and matching siding. I guess I have to agree. Thank you all for the awesome feedback and the great pics. I can't wait to get started this spring.
December 30, 2012 at 3:00PM   
jagood
I hope the tree that looks like it is leaning over the top of your house really isn't leaning over it! It reminds me of the black oaks we have here that sometimes fall.
December 30, 2012 at 3:28PM   
jagood
For your future siding project, have you checked into JamesHardy products? We have HardiPlank on our house and haven't had to repaint in over 12 years and it still looks great. Most people can't tell that it's not real wood. We used it for fire protection since we are in wildland fire area. http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/products.shtml
December 30, 2012 at 3:33PM   
victorianbungalowranch
I like the darker taupe type colors and the doors with simple glazing as Chroma Natrix suggested. Do you plan on keeping the wrought iron? If so, I think a lacy type triellis between the windows could help balance it.
December 30, 2012 at 4:23PM   
PRO
Monique Jacqueline Design
You have gotten a lot of fantastic ideas, but thought I would weigh in as well! I would NOT paint the brick! I love the brick color with the Grey Green siding detail accented with the black shutters! Beautiful feel! Look forward to seeing the finished results!
Cheers!
m.
December 30, 2012 at 4:33PM     
hmschoolmom
We have the hardy plank type siding on the top now which is poor shape so we are looking to replace it with vinyl probably. This house is 40 years old and nothing had been replaced or updated. I am SO done with the wrought iron rails on the porch and thanks to some earlier suggestions I think my husband is finally convinced that they can go. (Yay!!)

Trees, trees and more trees and thank God they are not leaning but many definitely need to be removed. We have 80 ridiculously thin pine trees on 2/3 acre. And an additional 25 or more deciduous trees both big and little. YIKES!!!!
December 30, 2012 at 4:33PM   
jagood
HardiPlank is made of cement, and it wasn't around 40 years ago. James Hardie didn't develop the technology of fiber-cement building products until the mid 1980s. It's really very nice so you may want to take a look before going with vinyl siding. It's on some very high-end houses, especially those that face fire danger from wildland fires, as an alternative to cedar siding and other wood-based products. Compared to vinyl, it is probably more expensive to install though.
December 30, 2012 at 5:08PM   
hmschoolmom
Thanks for the info. I thought that was what we had but obviously not. I'll definitely look into it. I am intrigued by the fire safety like you mentioned earlier. Thanks tons for the correction. :-)
December 30, 2012 at 9:40PM   
PRO
The Hardie siding might cost more to install, but if the budget allows, the look will be incomparable to vinyl siding.
Cheers!
m.
December 30, 2012 at 9:47PM   
PRO
Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
Don't paint the brick.
Hardie Plank siding.
Change the porch posts to wood, 6x6s with some trim.
December 31, 2012 at 4:39AM     
hmschoolmom
Wow--Thanks for letting me know about this siding option. We didn't even think about another option except vinyl. :-) Initially before we moved in, I wanted a brick veneer but was told that wasn't an option because of the existing structure blah blah.

I think the siding on the top is masonite? It's a pressed wood type, with vertical lines like pic below. Whatever it is, because of lack of maintenance (or just that it's not intended to last forever :-) it is damaged at the joints and bottoms of some of the boards. If zooming in is possible on the second pic, the damage can be seen.

Can HardiePlank be installed over this? Or do we need to remove it? I'm wondering how it would work around windows and trim?
December 31, 2012 at 5:18AM   
hmschoolmom
Wow--Thanks for letting me know about this siding option. We didn't even think about another option except vinyl. :-) Initially before we moved in, I wanted a brick veneer but was told that wasn't an option because of the existing structure blah blah.

I think the siding on the top is masonite? It's a pressed wood type, with vertical lines like pic below. Whatever it is, because of lack of maintenance (or just that it's not intended to last forever :-) it is damaged at the joints and bottoms of some of the boards. If zooming in is possible on the second pic, the damage can be seen.

Can HardiePlank be installed over this? Or do we need to remove it? I'm wondering how it would work around windows and trim?
December 31, 2012 at 5:19AM   
victorianbungalowranch
It is better to remove the old siding, and any professional can work around the windows. Old pressboard has a limited lifespan under the best circumstances, and it has to be kept well painted to avoid moisture penetration and splitting and bubbling, especially around the edges..

The main thing about the concrete fiberboard is that it has to have an underlayment or lathe to allow any trapped moisture to escape and you need an experienced installer, or some patience and a carbide blade. My brother priced it out recently and installation was about the same as traditional cedar lap siding. It comes in prefinished colors, which tend to be rather muted, and has matching trimboards. The finish will last about 15-20 years or so, than it will have to be painted.

Fortunately you have a limited area to side so it should be worthwhile to consider.
December 31, 2012 at 5:46AM   
hmschoolmom
It is definitely limited in the front and left side but I didn't include pics of the right side and back. It's some pretty extensive siding on those areas. (groan). Our house is a bit of a sleeper so you can't tell how much siding is there.
I'm definitely going to get a bid on the HardiePlank. I'm glad I have more options that I didn't even think about before. With a multitude of counsellors there is victory!! (Prov 11:14)
December 31, 2012 at 6:08AM   
lulamarie
I love the mockup with the brick unpainted and the green a lighter shade instead of dark (provides contrast with the roof) and doesn't look as "army". I also prefer the door without multiple windows...and a cheery color....all personal preferences I know.

If you drive into a new housing development, you'll notice that the homes all have hardie plank instead of vinyl. Even most new "brick" homes are just brick on the front side facing the road and the other 3 sides of the house are hardie. Folks in middle-high end neighborhoods of older homes are replacing old materials to hardie plank. It is more expensive but worth it in maintenance. Brick is amazing - you can leave it alone and it will leave you alone. If this is your forever home, leave the brick unpainted for sure. Also, if you have budget constraints, here's what you can do: replace all boards on the sides of the house that you can't see from the road and leave them unpainted...wait a few months until you save up more, have the rest completed and paint everything all at once.

Beautiful work in the kitchen...obvious you really thought about functionality.
December 31, 2012 at 7:19AM     
PRO
We feel that it is best to remove the old siding. By removing the old siding you can put up new building paper and make sure that all your flashing looks good! You could also treat the old siding by applying building paper over it and going from there, but you will not be able to check the existing flashing using this method. Our suggestion is to remove the siding. Flashing is very important and if any should be fixed or re-done and it is not, then you are opening the door to water issues!
Cheers!
m.
December 31, 2012 at 7:20AM   
jagood
BTW, our HardiPlank did have some color to it, which I think was considered a primer coat, but it still had to be painted for best protection and according to the mfg specs but we didn't do it for a long time and had no problems; but they have newer products now so specs are probably different. I think some of the newer products even click together at the ends so limited caulking in the vertical joints. It can be cut with a saw, but creates tremendous dust (need to wear a respirator) but they also make a shearing tool that most professionals will probably own. Even if you do it yourself, it's worth buying the shearing tool to protect your lungs from the cement dust.
December 31, 2012 at 11:55AM   
jagood
HardiPlank looks good with stone and brick and stucco.
December 31, 2012 at 12:06PM   
PRO
Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
Hardie Plank can now even come factory painted. But you do have to do field touch ups due to all of those things that can happen in the field.
December 31, 2012 at 1:18PM   
hmschoolmom
Thanks for the great info on the siding. It seems like the best option.

Thanks for the compliments on the kitchen. It has been a delight to work in since I was able to think it through . :-)
December 31, 2012 at 7:19PM   
Huy Ho
If your budget allows, i would suggest a cement hardy board siding which is both mold and fire resistent. It will most certainly decrease your home insurance. Vinyl siding will fade and stay diry over time, cement board will stay cement board. Here are a few jobs i did so you can see colors and results
January 5, 2013 at 2:16PM   
Rachel
Wow Chroma I love how you photo shopped those photos! I recently posted the same question could you help me out too?
January 5, 2013 at 5:21PM