powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need some design advice for my dining room.
denagrl
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hello,
I need some help with the design of my dining room. The wall color is Benjamin Moore-Silver Half Dollar and the curtains are velvet material in plum/eggplant color. I can't decide on a rug color. Plum or Grey or other? I've attached a picture of a rug I'm considering. Also what kind of fixture would suit this room? Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you :)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
quincyboy1
Love the wall color. The rug could be either gray or plum. Are your chairs beige? If so, I would probably go with the plum color for the rug because beige and gray don't work too well. Have you thought about recovering the chairs with a print fabric? A brocade print would look nice. As far as the light fixture, I would go with one of those long rectangular chandeliers with the glass droplets, if you like that more modern look. They are really dramatic, and would look nice with your long table. They have some beautiful selections at "Illuminations" here in Tucson. It should definitely be hung lower than the one shown in the photo. A bold piece of artwork on the wall as a focal point, hung above a low buffet table, if you have the room. Can't tell from the photo.
December 27, 2012 at 1:38pm   
denagrl
@qunicyboy1 the chairs are bone color leather with espresso wood. I was thinking about adding a chair rail and picture frame molding to give the walls some character.
December 27, 2012 at 1:49pm   
PRO
By Design EK
I like the rug you are considering in the grey, Very Classy room! I would use the Plum/Eggplant as an accent for some artwork to compliment the drapes. You could repeat the drapes around the doorways for a very intimate dining space! Also I see a venetian mirror and a chandelier with a touch of crystal, larger than what you have now. I tall sideboard with legs or a hutch between the chairs on the end wall.
December 27, 2012 at 1:50pm     
broccoli10
You should add pictures to make things pop it would add lots of color to your dining room if you want to make the pictures stand out the pictures should be a different color than the rest of the room.
December 27, 2012 at 1:55pm   
PRO
Doreen Schweitzer Interiors, Ltd.
I would love to see a rug containing both colors on the floor. This would be unifying. If not you could use the gray rug and add artwork or a table runner combining the colors. An oblong or rectangular long narrow fixture in a brushed silver tone would look great. You could also do a track with pendulums coming down if you like a contemporary minimalist look. The pendants could have some of the color in the drapery in them.
December 27, 2012 at 1:56pm     
Monica Ellison
How about an orb chandelier.
[houzz=
]
December 27, 2012 at 1:59pm     
PRO
The shape of the light fixture should echo the long narrow line of the table.
December 27, 2012 at 2:03pm   
quincyboy1
A chair rail and picture molding would look great !! If you want to go even more "formal," you could think about adding complimentary crown molding as well. As far as the fixture, I don't think it HAS to be rectangular. The orb chandelier suggested by monica15 would be a good choice also. It's a matter of personal preference, and what YOU think looks good. There are no rules, necessarily, only wise choices. Good Luck !!
December 27, 2012 at 2:47pm     
denagrl
I went ahead and bought the plum color rug. The grey had already sold out :( hopefully it will work.
December 28, 2012 at 6:06am   
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
I like the idea of an oval or oblong light fixture, just don't get the type that look like billiard table or kitchen island ones! I have attached a couple of pictures of lights that will work
December 28, 2012 at 8:03am     
decoenthusiaste
I like these for a longer table like yours, even the billiard style has changed with the advent of drums. My preference would be something with more of the bone color of your chairs, if simple with no bling, so your table decor will be the focus. Have you thought about an accent color? Please post with the new rug in place.
Bryant Large Billiard Light | Circa
Contemporary
December 28, 2012 at 9:44am     
denagrl
I purchased this fixture and I'm hoping it works in the room. I'll post photos once it arrives and is installed.
January 1, 2013 at 9:26am     
insideandout
Beautiful room - perfect paint color and window treatments. I would use a crystal chandelier, your choice looks lovely. Try hanging it lower than the current fixture, it is hung too high. I would use, if your not too concerned with spills a lighter colored rug - possibly a greyish sisal or light colored long shag, it will help to lighten the room.
January 1, 2013 at 9:49am     
denagrl
The rug arrived today, it was a nice surprise considering I was told my order couldn't be filled. Turns out the rug was shown on Miami Housewives and sold out after I placed my order and they had over sold the stock. Well here it is...I should have it in place when I get some assistance moving this table. I'll post updated photos then.
January 15, 2013 at 1:55pm     
PRO
Like the light. Like the rug. I hope it is large enough. At least 30" on all sides larger than the table. Great color.
January 16, 2013 at 1:30pm   
sealedesign
I would remove the long runner and instead use runners than formed placemats. I think the long runner accentuates the long table and long room. stripes going the other way would make it more balanced. Paint the far wall the same color as the runners so it stops you eye. Also ad dark arrangements on the far wall coordinating with the table.
January 16, 2013 at 2:00pm     
PRO
Solomoon Art Studio
Paintings:)
April 24, 2014 at 1:52am   
PRO
3523studio
Hi I think you hang artwork that is clean and simple. I have a new collection yet to be out. You are the first to see it. Visit http://3523studio.com to see others
April 24, 2014 at 3:31am   
PRO
KShoa
This discussion is from late 2012.
April 24, 2014 at 4:16pm     
PRO
3523studio
Oh! thanks
April 24, 2014 at 8:19pm