Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Any ideas for redoing this bathroom?
Constance WV
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Long hall way leads to the 'pink' bathroom. Like the wood floors, tall ceilings & room size... the rest may need to go.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Constance WV
additional photographs
December 27, 2012 at 1:42PM   
Constance WV
the pink sink
December 27, 2012 at 1:45PM   
PRO
Sunshine Menefee
I love the pink sink! Are you thinking about gutting the entire bathroom or just sprucing it up? If you're sprucing it up, it would make a lovely, vintage, romantic bathroom. You could pair the pink tile with greige walls, add a skirt around the sink and pretty white and yellow shower curtain. Of course, change out the hardware on the cabinets and maybe make a little cushion for under the window. Refinished wood floors would also make a big difference and warm it up and tone down the pink. It all has potential! Good luck!
December 27, 2012 at 1:57PM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I, too, adore your pink tile and sink. It's seldom we find a bathroom with so much storage. Those high upper cabinets of course would be very difficult to access. Part of your bathroom looks like a kitchen with upper and lower kitchen cabinets. Tres odd! Perhaps you could sketch the shape of the room for us, marking where the window is located and also the sink, cabinets, tub and toilet. That would help us figure out what you can do with this very interesting space.
December 27, 2012 at 2:01PM     
Constance WV
Thanks ~ that's a great direction to go in.. would like to salvage as much as possible. Just didn't know if was too much.
December 27, 2012 at 2:02PM   
Constance WV
Quick sketch of "pink bathroom " layout (not to exact scale).
December 27, 2012 at 2:31PM   
PRO
I think I would tear out all the dated cabinets. I would add new cabinets between where the sink area tile ends and the closet. These cabinets would be 18" deep and would offer storage like a wall pantry, going up to 6' 8". I'd keep the tub and toilet.

The hardwood flooring would remain up to the wet area of the bath where I would install an off white floor tile. I'd mirror the wall between the new bath pantry and the window wall, going to the height of the bath pantry.

I'd place a picture rail at the top of the mirror and hang a Venetian mirror over the sheet mirror, going down to cover part of the pink tile so that the mirror will be at a useful height. The mirror would hang from the picture rail and the wires holding it would be covered with pink velvet, gathered up like a chain cover. "Margaux" Venetian-Style MirrorĀ 

I'd put chrome light sconces on either side of the Venetian mirror, installed through holes cut in the wall mirror. New faucets and cabinet hardware would also be in chrome. Refined Rib Sconce
December 27, 2012 at 3:22PM     
PRO
www.newjerseyaccents.com
I'm guessing that a lot of those cabinets were put in place because they are hiding pipes (not just cabinets, also the tile behind the sink) since your house was built before indoor plumbing. Before you start planning a layout, call a plumber!
December 27, 2012 at 3:56PM   
PRO
Springs Construction Company
Call in a pro to give you a list of your options ... if you're staying with the pink a little known fact our friends at Dal tile can provide custom color matching with a long-lead time. I've used white battenburg with pink tile and I've gone the other route and used a complimentary color triad. Starting over would be far too easy ... however I'd strongly consider a floor tile that looks like wood in the wet area for better wear and easy of use.
December 27, 2012 at 4:04PM     
broccoli10
You can re-paint the walls to a color like beige or mocha. If you paint the walls mocha you can do beige tiles for the floors. You can also hang pictures up for the decorations.
December 27, 2012 at 4:08PM   
PRO
My remodel plan did not call for moving any plumbing. But it's always a good idea to get experts in for on the spot opinions. It's possible you'll want to replace many of the pipes. But let's not think of that today...perhaps tomorrow.
December 27, 2012 at 5:51PM     
PRO
That's very interesting information, Walter, that Dal-Tile will custom color tile. I guess I knew they could do a custom color, but I never thought about them matching an old tile. Very useful info. Many thanks for sharing that with us.
December 27, 2012 at 5:56PM