Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living Room Re-Design Advice Please
bubbles007
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'd love some advice please. We have a long and narrow living room 22ft x 11ft. It has a door opposite the fireplace which makes the layout very unsociable. We plan to replace all of the furniture and would like some help to re-design the space to turn it into a contemporary room. We want to change the fire into a wood burning stove and make it the focal point of the room but where should we put the TV and what furniture should we get? All comments gratefully received!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Manon Floreat
I'm thinking that you can have two seating areas in this room; one near the bay window and one around the fireplace. Do you have a picture of the what's in the area where the photo was taken?
2 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 3:23PM
bubbles007
I will upload a photo tomorrow but it is a space about the same size as the end you can see and has glass windows and double doors into our conservatory. The conservatory is a large (22ft x 9.5ft) family room which leads open plan into the dining room and kitchen.
I like your idea of two seating areas. What sort of seating would you use?
We've also considered removing the posts either side of the fireplace to open the room up. What do you think?
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 3:39PM
decoenthusiaste
If the posts are not architecturally vital, that might work. What style will the wood stove be - contemporary, classic, granny style?
1 Like   December 27, 2012 at 3:43PM
bubbles007
Contemporary stove. We've seen a grey one that has a clean and simple design. Thought we would remove some of the brickwork to make the fireplace opening larger too.
Don't think the pillars are structural but will check to be sure.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 3:47PM
Manon Floreat
You mentioned the conservatory is a large family room. Would the TV work in there? I can imagine a sofa with a chaise opposite on either side of the fireplace and a couple of arm chairs in the in the window. If you can remove the posts on either side of the fireplace, you would have ample space for built ins to house an assortment of things, TV included.

Attached is a furniture layout that to consider.
5 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 4:49PM
broccoli10
Paint the room a neutral color for a relaxing feel. Turn the brick fireplace into a mosaic fireplace:)
1 Like   December 27, 2012 at 8:04PM
bubbles007
Thanks for the plan Manon. That's really helped me visualise how it could look! I'm not sure whether a TV would work in the conservatory because of the layout. Do you think we could arrange the bay window seating area to be facing a built in TV? Then the children could watch it on the arm chairs or we could turn the sofa around if all the family wants to watch together (rarely happens).
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 12:36AM
thislittlehouse
Manon's layout is exactly what I would say too - it makes sense to divide the room into 2 useable, cozy areas. If you can see the kids watching tv at one end of the room while you enjoy the fire then I say go for it! But I think the plan hinges on removing those pillars and putting in some gorgeous built-in storage.

I bought some Ikea bookshelves with closed storage underneath while I save for custom ones (I think I put a pic on my blog www.thislittlehouse.com.au) you could do the same thing while you get a feel for whether or not the layout will work for you.

:) Elise
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 1:11AM
bubbles007
Thanks Elise. I'll have a look at your blog now.

Thanks everyone. This is really helping!,
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 2:09AM
jjandhk
nice plan from Manon....or could yu put 2 swivel armchair in place of the 1 sofa--to watch tv at the far end?
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 2:20AM
PRO
Home Preppers
I like the idea of seating around the fire place, but the room is only 11 feet so 2 sofas facing each other may crowd the room, especially if your wood stove protrudes from the fireplace. You could do some chairs (swivel as one person suggested). This would be a nice visual when you walk in and would be a comfortable place to enjoy next to the wood stove. Then do differnt types of seating areas in each end of the long room. One side with a sofa, chair and TV in a built-in and maybe one side with a small game table. If there is a large doorway to a conservatory, you may not be able to put much on that side, but you will need something on either side of that door way so the room is not lopsided.
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 4:00AM
bubbles007
Good point Home Preppers! Just battled the post Christmas sales to have a look at some furniture. We've seen just what I've been looking for but need to check sizes before we order.

So.... Next question, wooden flooring? If so, how dark? And how many rugs?

Thanks again for all of the advice!!
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 9:29AM
Manon Floreat
Here's another arrangement that uses the bay window area as the TV space. This arrangement will probably give the space the most open feel since the center is relatively free of furnishings. A console to the left of the front door provides a landing spot for mail and keys.

I would consider one 5x7 area rug to serve as the platform for the the two arm chairs in front of the fireplace. It underlines it as being the focal point of the room.

For flooring, I would go with a medium brown satin finish.
5 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 10:32AM
bubbles007
That looks great. I've attached some pictures of the furniture we like. You can get several different sized chairs and sofas but I've shown the Snuggler and the Medium Sofa. I think that we could either have two snugglers in the TV area or 1 + a medium sofa. We then thought it might work if we put a medium sofa the other side of the fireplace (to the left of the door) facing the bay. Maybe a chair to the right of the fire like you've shown. Behind the (fireplace) sofa we could put the console table - like you showed on the first plan but on the other side.
We have a hallway leading from the front door to this room so keys etc tend to get left in there.
Really like the idea of a single big rug in front of the fire to keep it the focal point.

We are thinking of a grey base to the colour scheme with lime green and aubergine highlights. Sound ok?

Thanks again. Really appreciate all of your help.
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 11:08AM
decoenthusiaste
Manon is nailing this one! Let's watch and see what happens.
6 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 11:16AM
doggieg
I would take one of the couches straight up to the fireplace with just a coffee table right in front of the fire separating and enough room to walk through. Leave a path behind the couch open for walking. Then I would use the other couch in the room that is back where the chair is by the window. An area rug to draw attention to the middle of the room would make the room not seem so long. Window treatments with color would take the eyes to the ends as well. I love the brick fireplace, right where it is. I wouldn't change it. Put a contemporary chandelier in place of that light on the ceiling. I would love to decorate the room. It's great.
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 3:29PM
lino catalano
as much as i like Manon first plan, her second plan lends itself better to the space and your needs! Great job Manon...cheers
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 3:52PM
bethanyd
A curved sectional would do really well in this room. Keep it minimal if you are choosing contemporary finishes. I think a small home bar by the bay window would be nice if you like to entertain.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 4:03PM
bubbles007
Thanks Doggieg. Think I need to work up some plans like the ones Manon has helped us with.
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 4:05PM
bubbles007
Thanks Doggieg. Think I need to work up some plans like the ones Manon has helped us with.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 4:06PM
wginteriors
First, the wood stove will take away even more much needed inches....and the emissions into the room will keep walls and fabrics filthy. Second, today's modern trends more toward individual seating elements
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 5:16PM
ruthmand
We have a wood stove and use it regularly without any of the issues mentioned by wginteriors. If it is vented correctly there shouldn't be any problems with smoke, soot, etc., so I wouldn't let that be a worry. Also, in Manon's second plan, the rug and chairs could be moved into the room a bit more if necessary.
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 5:48PM
Dixie Henrie
Going back to your second sentence, and apparently the crux of your problem - "It has a door opposite the fireplace which makes the layout very unsociable" . . . Can you move the door or close it off? Why fight with that problem for the rest of your lives? It's probably a fairly easy fix, and you can arrange your room however you please forever more.
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 6:33PM
bubbles007
Dixie, you raise an interesting point. It would really help with our layout if we could block up the doorway but we aren't sure that it'll leave the flow of the house right. To get into the living room you would have to walk through the dining room and the conservatory. Moving it isn't an option because of the impact it would have on other spaces. So, I think we're stuck with the doors location.
It opens into the room so we could look to open it out onto the hall which would stop it blocking the living room.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 12:59AM
bubbles007
Ruthmand. Thanks for your comments about wood stoves. We pretty fixed on having one so I'm pleased to hear with the right ventilation it's not a problem. Agree re: moving chairs a little bit further away from the fire.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 1:02AM
bubbles007
Wginteriors - we will fit the stove within the fireplace the already exists, just open the aperture more and fit a flue so no space lost. Thanks for the advice about individual seating trend.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 1:05AM
Derek Pipher
I saw this when house hunting last year. It was in cute bungalow that had a long but narrow living space. The tv was above the fireplace w/ wood stove.
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 1:58AM
Manon Floreat
Hi bubbles - I like your idea of aubergine and green as accent colors. Also, I wanted to introduce the idea of swivel chairs for your space. A couple of them would be great before the fireplace.
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 6:18PM
bubbles007
The chairs look great Manon. I'll look out for a similar design here in the UK. We are progressing quite well. Sofa and Snuggler ordered. We've found someone to fit the stove. He can also remove the pillars if we decide to do that. I've ordered some wooden flooring samples. All oak but some real wood some engineered.
Anyone know whether real or engineered wooden flooring is best?
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 2:06AM