Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Advice for pendant light fitting above stairs in traditional cottage
gingerclaire
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hello Houzzers! Another question for you all as my cottage project nears completion. You can see my other posts for an idea of the age and style of the property.

The question is, I have a spot for a light fitting above my staircase. I would quite like to put a less traditional style pendant in this spot, but need something that puts out good light which isn't too harsh. It can't be too long, or people will bash their heads.

What do people suggest?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gingerclaire
How much glare do you get from these types of light fittings?
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 12:54AM
TanCalGal
Don't know about glare: as much glare as any pendant with clear glass... Some have darker glass but might throw less light.
Double Take
MORAVIAN STAR
Moravian Star Pendant Light
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 4:25AM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
Just keep in mind when selecting something how you will reach it to change the bulb, this one from Progress has no glass to worry about
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 12:03PM
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Ginger! We had the same thought Frank Webb had regarding maintenance and cleaning, especially considering you'll be on the stairs. One option is a chandelier hoist (http://www.atgstores.com/lighting-accessories/aladdin-light-lift-all200-chandelier-hoist_g3119.html?isku=807418&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage), although they are a bit spendy. Another option is a multi-use ladder (http://www.atgstores.com/ladders-scaffolding/little-giant-ladders-14013-001-alta-one-multiuse-type-ladder_g716916.html?isku=6474087&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage). Just some things to think about as you shop for the perfect light. Stay safe, and good luck!
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 1:16PM
TanCalGal
Good idea to think about changing bulbs when purchasing lights. We have pot lights and use a suction pole to change bulbs. The pole will only work with bulbs that are hanging down. http://www.energybulbs.co.uk/products/Energy+Saving+Products/Lighting+Accessories/EZY-Reach+Light+Bulb+Changer+550mm/90857625
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 1:32PM
gingerclaire
Thanks for the advice on safety everybody. A normal ladder sits quite comfortably and safely against the wall, so I don't think I'll be needing chandelier hoists.

It really is a simple little cottage, so I am just after finding something a bit quirky that really clicks with me. Has anyone else got any inspiration? Any ideas for making something myself (no dust traps please!)?
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 12:15PM
rtist9
I would suggest a water chandelier. Type it in at houzz.com you will see examples. I also would put mirrors or silver steel or metal artwork going up those stairs. Don't do the normal family pictures,boring! Keep it chic. Now I would put up framed degrees meaning bachelors or masters degrees on that stairwell also if you have them. Because that motivates any children,teenagers or young adults that visit your home. They want the same thing especially if your home is laid out plush, sleek, classy, and sophisticated. If you do want pictures of your fam put a digital frame on that wall, very 2013.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 12:32PM
gingerclaire
rlist9 - I can't find a water chandelier. Can you post a link the sort of thing you have in mind?
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 12:40PM
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 1:31PM
rtist9
Gingerclaire just type in chandelier. I forgot this wasnt for a shower. They have shower heads that change colors of the shower water. I called it a water chandelier. I got it confused. Just look up chandeliers that look like bubbles. Thats what I meant to say.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 5:08PM
More Discussions
Need help to choose paint colour for my dining and living room
The dining room flooring is a natural stained oak hardwood....
Living room arrangement
I have a living/family room with a window or door on...
garage bonus room - blank slate. What to do?
I have a big room above the garage - 22x20 with 9...
Kitchen counters
Looking for advice with using kitchen counter refinishing...
Wall color-interior ????
Need classy color suggestion for walls ..
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.