Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help with colour choice in dining room
Wendy Hamilton
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My dining room is a dark blue with a central boarder, I want to get rid of the boarder, so I guess I should paint. I have lots of antique furniture (honey stained) and don't know what colour to paint. The floors are original pine and the room is closed off with pocket doors. The hallway is a warm biege. Any help would be great!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houssaon
How about red with white? North Framingham. You could install a chair rail and paint the lower wall white.

greenmount silk HC-3 is a light color that would look good with your furniture with Acadia White trim: Cedar Bluff. The room would look light and airy.

This soft moss green would also look nice: Colonial.

I would think about getting new window treatments. A pretty print, toile or plaid that goes with your new color scheme hung to the floor, with matchstick blinds underneath would look so good. Architectural details add elegance and sophistication to the NJ Dining Room and Country French Cottage - Dining Room 2.
1 Like   December 27, 2012 at 3:27PM
elklaker
I also thought about a soft green (clearly, houssaon has exquisite taste!). Additionally, I love the toile for the draperies (no tab-top and hung close to the ceiling). It looks like you have a lovely collection of plates and platters. Perhaps hanging them on the walls would create a nice display. Beautiful furniture.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 4:13PM
Harrut
A burgundy might work. Depends on whether you want to keep it dark and mysterious or open it out into a fresh day room... ?
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 12:49AM
cohoek
Hi, I love the combination of warm honey colored furniture and a greyish blue not to dark, a bit dusty..
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 9:34AM
PRO
Nour Hakim
I suggest u go for soft green walls and agree with klaker by hanging the plates.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 12:43PM
PRO
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
Green goes so well with honey colored wood! Select a color that coordinates with your pretty plates and your area rug--the Benjamin Moore line of Historical Colors has some nice muted greens.

If you do install a chair rail, add the lower wainscoting as in the images, otherwise white under the chair rail will look blah.

Love your home--the floors are beautiful and those french doors are charming!
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 1:11PM
PRO
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
Also, maybe tone down the trim a bit--it seems to be a little too much contrast.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 1:12PM
Darzy
I like the idea of toile curtains. I don't think you need to add wainscoting as many of the walls are covered with your furniture. (I would edit some of the small accessories). I like the slate blue wall idea but here is a fresh look for you. The right yellow wall color would look nice.

1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 1:21PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Here's where I'd look to your "things." Do you have a china pattern that would dictate a color direction? A fabric you love that incorporates the hallway color, from which you could choose your dining room color? Your choice can bring all of your favortie stuff together and show it off in its best light.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 2:13PM
smlm
I suggest adding a crown moulding, painting all your trim soft white, and painting the walls a rich red. Green is one of my favorite colors but I don't love it for a dining room. The white trim and your beautiful large mirror will keep the room from feeling dark. If your budget allows you could dress up the whole room by changing the light fixture.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 2:28PM
Wendy Hamilton
Thank you for all your comments. I have decided to go with a historical blue. I will post pics when it is finished.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 3:26PM
janishill
I love pressed back chairs. And the other antique pieces you have.

Green goes beautifully with the honey stained antiques and pine floor. This shade would be beautiful in your room: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/georgiangreen

georgian green

A couple of other thoughts ~ hang your drapes high (as you have done) and wide to really open up the window and let the light in. See attached illustration. Also make sure they reach all the way to the floor.

Your rug looks a little small for your table. Here's an easy guide to finding the right size: http://www.ehow.com/how_4778673_measure-dining-room-rug.html

I would like to see the china cupboard come down so the top of it is not above the door frame and it is more connected to the piece underneath it.

I have to agree with whomever said to hang some of your plates/platters. I can envision them hanging on both sides of the window. (see picture)

Hope to see updates!
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 4:01PM