Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Stuck in a rut!,,
katiesdavid
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have no clue what color to do cabinets and walls. I don't want to redo cabinets bc we have already spent so much on countertops and backsplash. And color ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
claudiann
Very nice kitchen. Have you thought about an island/ bar? Pendant lights over it would be nice. Even a stainless steel prep table like is sold at SAMs would provide some division and a surface to display pretty kitchenware.
December 27, 2012 at 3:24pm     
katiesdavid
I actually have an old door from a demo house I'm making an island out of. If I can ever commit to a color
December 27, 2012 at 3:33pm   
janishill
That's a nice kitchen. It just needs accessories added. Remove the blinds and add Roman shades that have a similar color in the fabric as the walls to help tie it all together: the walls to the cabinets, etc. A rug would help as well.

And I agree with claudiann about adding an island and lights.

Or do you just want a totally different color?
December 27, 2012 at 3:34pm   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
You could paint the lower cabinets black and leave the uppers white. Or perhaps a blue/green would look warm and inviting. Kathia's Old Kitchen Pantry & Baking Center
December 27, 2012 at 3:37pm     
katiesdavid
We just bought the house I knew I wanted the counter and backsplash we have installed but that's where I have gotten stuck idk what else to do
December 27, 2012 at 3:41pm   
PRO
Stepping Stone
Hi There,

Congrats on your house.
I would go for light coloured walls and cabinetry, creating a more light and open space. Dark cabinetry can feel a bit more closed so be wary of this.
I have attached some photos as ideas, do you like modern or classic?
Check out this site for door ideas and colours http://www.starmarkcabinetry.com/gallery/index.php?id=16

I would use your window moulding as a guide as well. I think the cabinets should have some sort of mounding on them eg.: http://www.starmarkcabinetry.com/gallery/index.php?door_id=93&id=16
December 27, 2012 at 3:53pm     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would change out the blind for a roman shade in a colour that complements the backsplash. Perhaps a geometric fabric. It will completely change the centre of that room.
http://blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/roman-blinds-shades.html
December 29, 2012 at 3:22pm   
annmarie2
Start with the colors of the countertops and backsplash. If you chose them, you like those colors. Take any scraps you have to a paint store and have the person there help you identify a paint color that goes with them. Make sure you go to someplace like a Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore store, not a big box.

The room looks very monochromatic right now, since your floors are light and so are the cabinets. From a quick glance, it looks like your countertops are a mid-to-light color. If that's the case, I'd consider going 2-3 shades darker, at least for the base cabinets. That way they look grounded and don't just look like they're floating in a sea of white. Then you could do the walls either in a lighter shade, or something complementary on the color wheel.

The color right now looks cold, especially with your tile choices which appear to be warm tones.
December 29, 2012 at 3:31pm     
janearrington
I would go with creamy cabinet color with a coffee with cream color on the walls. Maybe make the wall to the right an accent wall with some wainscoting...I have added pics of mine and I did it myself...(with help from my identical twin and we are 56 year old women) also, try new. nickel knobs. I added trim to my builder grade cabinets around the drawers and a skirt on the bottom of the upper cabinet. Cheap fix for a DIY person.
January 1, 2013 at 9:36am   
PRO
G3 Studios Decorative Painting
The one nice thing about the reclaimed door being converted to an island is that is can be dramatically different from the rest of the colors and style. You are already using something unique so doing a rustic chic distressed effect might be a nice contrast. Also think about putting it on wheels so it's not a permanent fixture in case you change your mind later. I would take the caster idea to the extreme and try finding some reclaimed wheels off of a mining cart or industrial machinery. Finding some barn wood and staining it darker to play off ceiling might be nice. Then using a milk paint recipe or European paint in distressed layers for the top. You will need to use a good sealer to make sure it can be cleaned easily and you definitely want to use cutting boards on this surface when prepping food. Look forward to seeing pics!
January 1, 2013 at 10:05am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I do not see anything wrong with white.
January 1, 2013 at 10:13am   
onthefence
Congrats on your home! That's really a great kitchen - nice and large. I really like the black and white kitchen that Carolyn posted above. I think too an island would work really well.

One thing that popped out at me is your cabinet hinges. I'm really not sure of the fix - either change the hinges to white to match the cabs, or get larger pulls/knobs perhaps? I do know that when I look at your pic, I notice the hinges before anything else.
January 1, 2013 at 10:40am   
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Did not read all the comments but what isaking your kitchen look Dated are all the door hinges. Change them out for hidden ones, putty holes and paint cabinets any color you want. I would chose a sand color or one of the colors in the back splash tile.
January 1, 2013 at 10:51am   
PRO
Just read the post above me and they said the same thing.
January 1, 2013 at 10:52am   
PRO
Just read the post above me and they said the same thing.
January 1, 2013 at 10:54am   
kira5817
Congrats on the house! This reminds me of our 1st kitchen (I have attached photos). Would you be able to install some concealed hinges and stainless steel pulls? It would be a cleaner look for your kitchen. I wouldn't paint the cabinets an actual color, I think you will find the kitchen will become dated quickly. The cabinets in our new house are metallic silver. Very specific if you are thinking of selling any time soon. Good luck! Would like to see the after photos!
January 1, 2013 at 3:15pm   
susanmitch
I agree with Claudianne. This kitchen looks good it just needs an island.
January 1, 2013 at 3:30pm   
sharleeg
Hinge change first to European ( hidden)or reface uppers if you have any budget. It's not like replacing all cabs. If you did, you could add the option of doing some uppers with glass to add interest and lighten up the look. New hardware. LOVe the idea of your new island. Cabs should be warmer to go with floors and other selections you've made-backsplash and counter.Walls could do deeper warm beige, such as caramel, if that is a color in your lovely tile backsplash.. it's hard to make out detail.
I see 3 appliance finishes, stainless, black and white. Eventually, hopefully you can unify as budget allows. Best of luck!
January 1, 2013 at 3:54pm