powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help. Not sure how to make furniture fit.
mhixenbaugh
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We just bought this house and love everything about it except for the great room. Need ideas on how to place furniture. The room measures 19 x about 9. I have a love seat and a couch to place. The TV for now will have to go on the 2nd picture wall.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MAlps
I would put the couch in by the wall with the counter- second pic view, and the sofa on the wall in the third picture. I'm not a fan of walking into a room and bumping nto furniture which is why i would leave that right wall empty. Another option you can consider is yes putting the couch on the right side of the room but no exactly against the wall, maybe starting somewhere in middle of the door.
1 Like   December 27, 2012 at 3:26PM
decoenthusiaste
Paint the return air vent to match the wall. In a place this narrow, you'd be happier with a sofa and a swivel chair. I would float the sofa perpendicular to the window left of the FP facing the TV. A sofa table behind it on on the wall behind it with a large piece of art. I'd angle the chair on the other side of the FP allowing room for the French door to open. It would swivel to watch TV or to see the FP. Two stools at the bar, one glass topped coffee table, one or two floor lamps.
15 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 3:31PM
mhixenbaugh
I also have 2 end tables.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 3:36PM
janishill
Deco nailed it. No need to say more , but I think you can use 3 bar stools. :-)

Sorry about the loveseat, but it really won't work in a room so small.
4 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 3:40PM
mhixenbaugh
The couch is 84 x 36 and the love seat is 64 x 36.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 3:43PM
decoenthusiaste
Depending on their size, you may use one end table beside the chair, but there won't be room for both of them unless the style would allow you to place one in front of a window. Here are some swivel chairs to inspire you - think small scale.
Rebecca Leather Swivel Chair
Jolie Swivel Chair, Vance Bermuda
Cody Swivel Chair
3 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 3:46PM
janishill
The sofa should work nicely then. Is there a basement room you can use the loveseat in, perhaps?
2 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 3:47PM
Manon Floreat
My thoughts pretty much echo Deco's. I don't think this space is big enough for a loveseat and sofa. I'd opt for an apartment sized sofa and a swivel chair. Here's a furniture arrangement to consider. It could easily be reversed.
5 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 3:52PM
claudiann
I would put a console table in front of the vent with a mirror over it if this is the door that goes to the garage so you can check yourself right before you leave. Put a pretty bowl or basket for keys, mail etc. If there is room put the couch next to it. If not put the love seat. Face the fireplace with the other one. I would not use barstools on this side because I don't think there is enough room with the furniture you have now. In the future I would put the tv over the fireplace with two super comfy chairs in front of it that turn so people in them could turn and talk to people in the kitchen or watch tv. Then I would put a chaise in front of the window at an angle.. You have a very nice home.
1 Like   December 27, 2012 at 3:52PM
mhixenbaugh
No basement for love seat.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 3:56PM
Darzy
deco nailed it for sure!
1 Like   December 27, 2012 at 4:20PM
biddibiddibumbum
Will you be using your island to sit at? Because the space is so tight I would think about using that wall space for furniture or the TV, if you can move the cable, leaving the larger walls open for larger furniture. It would be easy enough to take off the supports and cap to the raised bar and replace it with a narrower top, maybe butcher block. I would not put the TV over the fireplace as it is to high and you would have to crane your neck to look up at it. I have made this mistake in the past and it is not a comfortable way to watch TV. Very cozy place... Good luck...
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 8:00AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like the floor plan by Manon Floreat
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 2:17PM
Darzy
I like deco's and Manon's as well. I think reversing deco's (Manon's idea) may be better because you won't see a tv when you first walk in the door.
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 2:21PM
janishill
Don't forget the French doors are on that side. To give them room to open the TV may have to be on the far side. Besides family will be the ones coming through that door.
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 2:35PM
judianna20
I would extend the bar counter, add bar stools. At the far end, put the loveseat, with a small coffee table facing the T V wall. Make sure the bar stools are comfy and swivel. I think that is all you can get in that room and still have it work and not be overloaded with furniture. This pix is not the perfect solution, but shows my idea.

6 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 6:16PM
Peg Silverwood
I would make this a dining area. There has to be another place in your home that would make a better great room. It is big enough you could put a great conversational seating against the wall by the vent..but not pushed up to the wall... make it interesting by floating from the wall. I would also take out the carpet and put in wood or a high end laminate wood floor with a beautiful large rug. A great dining table with some wonderful chairs are great pieces of furniture that truly bring people together. ;D
9 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 8:46PM
thislittlehouse
Great idea Peg! I'm with you on this one!
:) Elise
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 3:29AM
mhixenbaugh
The dinning room is the door way through the kitchen. There is a living room/ office at the front door, but that is going to be more of a formal living room. I love all the ideas that everyone is giving. Thank so much.

For right now I am going to have to use the couch and love seat due to not having any where else for it and costs.

If I put the love seat on the side of the bar would I leave a walk way between? The overhang on the bar comes out pretty fair.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 7:31AM
Darzy
I wouldn't put anything at the bar area except bar stools. Maybe you could use the loveseat in the formal living room. Or, if the height works, and the size of your dining table, you could use it as a seating "bench" at the dining table.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 1:41PM
mhixenbaugh
Floor plans is showing the room measures 19 x 13.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 5:48PM
Peg Silverwood
Would the Dining room that is off the kitchen be accessible to be used as a formal living room/office?
Or could you use it for a great room. The flow of the kitchen naturally moves toward the room you are trying to work with. You could always try your furnishings in different rooms before you make the final decision. This room would be great with a wonderful dining table and a seating for conversation. If you have friends who like to play board games what a perfect place for that kind of fun. ;D
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 6:08PM
PRO
JAN MOYER
I am with Peg who just said it. It will feel larger/smoother if you extend the flooring from the kitchen, the rug will get gross from food dropped from stools at the counter anyway, (and there shouldn't be an overhang anyway), and you have doors to the exterior. It will function better as an eating area. Take a picture of the "designated" eating area in your kitchen and post it. I bet it has room for a couple of comfy chairs! I bet you have a "living" room or dining room that could function as tv/great room space. This is only a GREAT room because the builder labeled the plan that way. : )
3 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 4:03AM
mhixenbaugh
Here is a picture of the eat in kitchen and dinning room. Across the hall is the living room.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 4:52AM
Peg Silverwood
Which of the two rooms has a nice long un cut up wall or a wall that a center your TV on it? You could float your sofa in the room not needing a opposite wall. Put a sofa table or credenza behind the sofa if the is room is big enough. As far as the the flooring in the kitchen/ dining area of my preference. It would be flowing to have the same floor in the kitchen and room it opens to.

It appears either of these two rooms would work wonderfully for a great room.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 5:35AM
Peg Silverwood
By the way.... You have a wonderful home! Have fun experimenting arrangements and decorating! ;D
2 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 5:37AM
shelleyfarrockaway
Put the love seat in your bedroom. We have one there by our bay window and we love it. Our kids come to talk to us there and I love to read there when I want quiet time without getting into bed. You can even put it at the foot of your bed if you have the space.
2 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 5:40AM
mhixenbaugh
Thanks Peg! I really want to use the great room as a family room. I live all the light that comes in. I also have a larger couch and over sized chair I could use instead of other couch and love seat. Do you think this might work?
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:09AM
mhixenbaugh
I meant love the light. Right now the apartment we live in is so dark so I am really looking forward to enjoying all the light.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:19AM
Peg Silverwood
The area is small and a little narrow. A 79 in sofa would be the best fit. The sofa above is very large and would overwhelm the space. However, try the sofa floating just to the right of the door that I am assuming is an exit to outside. If you have room that is not crowding into the window start there. I am not a big fan of putting a tv above the fire place. It is the most uncomfortable way to watch tv.. Your challenge is traffic flow. If you have other furniture, choose your smaller seating pieces. Let me see if I can draw a rough furniture setting for you.
2 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:25AM
mhixenbaugh
Here is the floor plan but the bar and kitchen area is different.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:28AM
sclawson
I was amazed when moving after 20 years in the same house how things acquired to fit one place just don't always work in another. Sell or repurpose the old furniture and buy what works for this new space as budget allows.
5 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:37AM
gymbugmj2k
personally, i'd work on selling some of your furniture pieces -- particularly the couches/love seats. Apartment sized (or at least 'low profile') furniture is going to look best in that room. It will give you a lot of seating options without feeling like the room is being filled with furniture and no walking space.

I see 2 options:
Option 1 -- hang the TV over the fireplace (to be able to watch from the kitchen too!). Put a loveseat against the bar (couch if it fits). you lose that area for standing/eating, but you gain a sort of 'shelf' over the loveseat.
use smaller swivel armchairs with end tables on the other walls.

Option 2- Manon's suggestion, but reversed. Put the loveseat or couch (if it fits) against the airvent wall with coffee table. Swivel chair by the fireplace/door and TV along the wall by the kitchen entrance (you CAN do Manon's suggestion, though I think this way might give you more doorway access). use stools at the bar. If you choose a coffee table with ottoman-like seating underneath, you can easily add 1-2 more seats in the room. This option would easily give you seating for 8 people.
2 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:00AM
PRO
InteriorsbyDesign
This is a challenging room to furnish and design. In your case, there are very few options. I would place furniture in the same configuration as Manon suggested, and as shown in Judyg's photo. The key is not to overstuff a room with too much furniture that is not properly scaled for the dimensions of the room. You do not have enough room to 'float' the sofa or loveseat in front of the fireplace.
I see this mistake time-after-time. I do not think you have room for both a sofa and loveseat. Perhaps you can place the loveseat in another room. I would put the sofa along the wall where the French door is. Add a small end table on the end nearest the door. Make sure the sofa is not too large for the space, and allows movement around it from the kitchen.
Place a small rectangular cocktail table in front of the sofa. You can put two ottomans across from the table, as shown in Judyg's photo. Add some small barstools at the counter overhang. I like the small swivel chair idea to the left of the fireplace. The TV console would be placed on the other long wall to the left of the fireplace. In my opinion, you do not have room for a loveseat. Don't crowd the space. Scale is important here. Less is more in a room like this.
There are some great suggestions here. I am sure you will be able to find a good solution to your decorating dilemma. Good luck!
4 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:14AM
Peg Silverwood
Thank you for the visual of the floor plan. For now utilize your smallest pieces. The love seat and chair. Place the love seat so it faces the wall the exit door is on. Position it just past the french doors with at least 3 feet off the wall of the fireplace. Put a small table on the wall by the garage door that will hold your television and components. If it is a closed one all the better.
Position a chair between the window and fireplace angled toward the sofa and peninsula. a smaller coffee table in the center. The wall behind the sofa that moves into your eating area place a sofa table or credenza of some type to add stability to the room. Then art on the wall above.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 8:22AM
ideahuntress
Hi
There has been some great ideas so far . I think that you should keep the bar area to use by putting stools there. I think I'd go for high back stools . I then think you should place your furniture perpendicular to the counter away from the walls with a coffee table (maybe something with storage) between your couch and love seat and put your tv over the fireplace away from any glare. The windows and french doors are gorgeous so I would leave any window treatment minimal . You could then place your art on the 2 big walls. It is a lovely room and hope you enjoy decorating it .
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 8:47AM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I agree with a lot of the comments here. If you are like me, however, you want a full size couch in here to stretch out on. I think you must put the couch on the garage wall. I don't know that you will have room for an end table - don't shove it in, just to make it fit. You might be able to fit a floor lamp/floor table lamp on one end. Another option might be some pin-up sconces on that wall. It is the only long wall you have to work with. Get a coffee table. A small occasional chair, as others have suggested, might fit at this end, too.

Where do you want the TV to go? Do you need to see it from the kitchen? If so, then I would put it on the opposite wall (at a right angle to the French doors). This is where your love seat might fit, though, so not altogether a great place for watching TV! Would the loveseat fit on the counter wall opposite the fireplace? I think it will look too big and too awkward, even if it fits, but it might be a temporary solution. The TV could also be placed somewhere on the counter wall, depending upon where you want to be able to see it from.

What does the furniture you want to use look like? If it by any chance has straight arms, you might be able to have someone remake the left side of the loveseat (removing the arm) to create a sectional (the loveseat would go in front of the windows, the couch on the garage wall). A sectional is the only way you are going to get any amount of comfortable seating in here which won't look awkward, I think.
The TV could then go on the opposite wall with a cabinet/shelf below.

Because this is a difficult space in which to place furniture, purchasing something new is going to be your best bet. I understand, however, that that is not possible at the moment and that you want to utilize what you have. Based on that, I think that you are just going to have to get your existing furniture in there and see what works for you. Repost some photos at that point - it would be easier to comment once we see the furniture in the room.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 9:46AM
miamibrown99
What wall color is that? It's pretty and soothing..
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:55AM
mhixenbaugh
Thanks Kathryn for your comment. I wish I could post a pic of the couch and love seat but they are in storage. I love everything about this house except for the layout of the great room and living room, both rooms are so small! I would love to buy new furniture but for now will have to use what I have. I really do appreciate all the comments and love the ideas. I just feel a little stuck right now with the furniture I have to use.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:59AM
janishill
Don't feel bad. Most of us have had to make do at some point. However you arrange the room you will do an excellent job,

When you can start shopping Craigslist, consignment shops, thrift stores and yard sales. Before long the entire house will take on your personality and will be a comfortable home.
2 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 10:07AM
mrp55
What about using the loveseat in the BR for reading or watching TV, listening to music while not in bed?
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 2:06PM
mhixenbaugh
I am not sure it would fit with everything in the bedroom.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 2:18PM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
This is way too large for your space, but it is the kind of thing I think would work well on the garage wall when you can do it.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 10:23AM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Oh, that is not a great photo, lol!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 10:24AM
wyndling
2 loveseats across from each other with a table in the middle perpendicular to the bar and fireplace Dining space off to the left side of the room closer to the entry
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 5:11AM
PRO
La Maison Chic
I would use perhaps the loveseat instead of the couch and two arm chairs. You could sell the couch and use the money to buy more scaled down furniture. 3 adjustable barstools could serve as additional seating when lowered. if you got some comfy leather with backs they would be great as a chair for TV viewing. you will need an end table for the couch and one for the chairs for drinks etc. A large artpiece for above the fireplace . its a really narrow space for too much furniture.
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 7:02AM
PRO
studio | FORMA
This is such a cozy space. I can see it being the one little corner where everyone hangs out. To add to the many great ideas you have received here, I'de like to go back to the plan "manon floret" generously posted here and make a few adjustments based on comments made.

Being that is such a narrow space with multiple access points, unless you are a big tv watcher yourself I would not put the tv above the fireplace. The folks lounging in this space would not be comfortable watching the screen (to high). I would hang artwork or a large mirror above the fireplace, a mirror will allow you to monitor who enters the space either from the hallway or from the Dining room.

If possible rework the island to accommodate a TV. You could always ad doors and place stools in front of it when not watching the TV if you still want the stools in this location.

The console table shown on the plan where the big AC vent is located would be an excellent space for a desk with books and storage above.

I love the idea of the swivel in front of the fireplace, however I would look for one with a medium to high back, like the Cody swivel shown above.

Here is a few pictures for ideas on how to rework the kitchen counter top:
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 12:24PM
memegee
Hate to break it to you, but that isn't a great room. Personally, I'm not a fan of bars. Sit at the table, I say. Enjoy the lovely view. Set a spell. I would change the kitchen-great room entrance to the other end -- where the bar wall is angled. Just make the angled wall your kitchen entrance. Block up the other end, extending the bar wall to the end and close it up. Also, in my opinion and since I don't care for bars, I'd make the bar wall a floor to ceiling wall. If you enjoy and want the light from and view into the great room, well, then, sure leave as a half wall.

OR, you could put your (presumably) flat screen TV on the angle wall and your loveseat/sofa on the wall with the air vent.

You have wonderful attributes in the great room: fireplace, beautiful large windows, and French doors.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:59PM
PRO
InteriorsbyDesign
Since you are moving to a newly-constructed home, I am sure that moving walls, entrances, and reconstructing the kitchen layout is neither possible nor practical. The time for changing structural configurations, if that was even permitted by your builder, was in the design phase- not just before you move in.
I do not like the idea of a T.V. over the fireplace or in the bar overhang. The bar is just that- a bar. It needs barstools. Your family room needs seating, but it is a small space. You mentioned it measures 9' x19'. Is this correct? It is hard to give suggestions without knowing the exact measurements of the room. Builder's standard floor plans, especially when altered, are never accurate. You need a physical measurement of each wall, door openings, window widths, etc., to get an accurate furniture placement.
And, what is your lifestyle? Do you have little children who will need a place to play? Do you entertain a lot? Where are your T.V. cable outlets? There is only so much you can do in this space. You have two entry points, a fireplace wall, bar area, and a door to the outside. That said, due to the narrow 9' deep area, there are very few arrangements you can consider here. You need room to pull the barstools in and out, without bumping into other furniture. I do think barstools will give you extra seating for guests, which you need.
The garage wall is smaller than the opposing wall. So, your 7' sofa would not even fit properly here. However, it may not even fit on the opposing wall, due to the French door, and entry from the kithen. You may have to use just your loveseat and a swivel chair or two instead. Probably the best thing to do is to decide if you are going to use barstools, and then play around with the furniture to see how it fits. Since you are not buying new upholstery, this is probably the best solution.

Good luck to you in your lovely new home!
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 4:59PM
mhixenbaugh
The wall with the air vent measures 9 ft from carpet to wall. The other wall is the one with the cable outlet and measures 12 ft going into the kitchen.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:25PM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
And what is the opening between the kitchen counter and that wall? I still think that putting a couch on that wall is going to be too tight. I think a pretty bookshelf on either side of a credenza with the TV in the middle is the way to go. Then ANY seating you put in this room can see it, as well as the cook. The only other location I would consider is that angled portion of the counter. You could box it in and it would look very custom. I guess if you did this, your loveseat could go on that wall (I think it might be a good idea to do this anyway at some point - that corner where it dies into the wall is a little awkward). You could still have barstools on the flat part.

Again, I think your best bet since you HAVE the furniture is to put it in there and see how it looks!
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 5:49PM
mhixenbaugh
I am not sure, maybe about 3.5 ft.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:54PM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
OK, then I definitely don't think you can put your couch on that wall because the 12' actually extends inside of the counter area, really leaving you less than the 12' to work with. You loveseat MIGHT fit = you'll have to try it. One more idea - what about creating a little sitting area in the designated table spot, and moving the table in front of the french door? What is your kitchen table like? Maybe your loveseat could even work with the table, more as a cafe type of arrangement. You could always add a dropleaf table under the wall-mount TV. too, and then you'd have another option for seating. I know you have carpet in the great room area, so I understand if you have small kids and wouldn't want to eat there. If the loveseat fits on that wall, maybe you could even add a small game table there. Just some ideas!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:08PM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Here's a whole Ideabook with a loveseat used with a table. The 3rd photo is actually the kind of thing I was thinking of .
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:12PM
PRO
studio | FORMA
Furniture choices for this room need to be well thought out. Slim, narrow armrest on the sofa for sure, to maximize seating. Another choice you could make instead of a coffee table get a large upholstered ottoman. You could use trays to stabilize drinks or what have you and it could also double for additional seating space.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 6:34PM
PRO
studio | FORMA
Ottomans:
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:35PM
PRO
Terri Bennett Allied ASID/Periwinkle Interiors LLC
General Rule is to place long furniture along longest wall/length. Maybe float the sofa in front of the fireplace. It will be a tight squeeze but may be the only choice.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:43PM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
@Terri: there is only 9'. Assuming the couch is around 36" deep that would only leave about 3' in front and 3' in back of the couch. Since they are coming through this room from the garage, I don't think floating a couch will work - although the swivel chairs would fit, as was suggested earlier. Really the longest wall IS the garage wall, because the opposite wall - although it measures longer - is no more useable than the garage wall, plus anything deep will interfere with circulation both towards the kitchen and through the french door. It's a conundrum!!!
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 6:57PM
PRO
InteriorsbyDesign
Hmmm....floating sofa that is 36" deep in front of F.P., with barstools at the bar overhang, in 9' deep space....not a good idea. Too narrow, and would only looked over-crowded. We just learned the T.V. cable is on the long wall near the kitchen entry. I supppose the T.V. has to go here, and sofa or loveseat on opposing wall near garage.
I like the idea of ottomans, either with a cocktail table or solo as a cocktail ottoman, with a swivel chair. Again, try it out when you move in.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 6:59PM
anthip
I think you're going to have to get in there and place some of the furniture. It's not until things are in situ that you can really check flow etc. Good luck and keep us posted!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 7:05PM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I, too, like the idea of the ottoman but here is another suggestion: if you decide, after seeing your existing furniture in the space, that at some point in time you would like to get something that fits better, how about this: purchase 4 of those little square stools with the removable tops. You could group all 4 in front of the couch. Get 2 comfortable swivel chairs to put on either side of the fireplace, and then when you entertain, a couple of the stools could be brought over to this grouping (along with swiveling your barstools around). Some of them even come with a seat side and flip over to a table side. If you use a console table under the TV, you could stick a couple more under here for extra seatingm too.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Swayne-White-Storage-Ottoman-with-Mini-Foot-Stool/5947454/product.html
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 8:12PM
blstrother
I say put the TV over the fireplace. That's where ours is, and it is not uncomfortable to watch. I honestly don't understand why people think it's so uncomfortable to watch a tv hung over a fireplace. It's not! Especially if you have comfy chairs/sofa that you can slouch in and lay on -- the angle is natural in these positions. Just attach it with a bracket that angles the TV slightly downward facing. This will make TV watching pleasant for whoever is in the kitchen (cooking shows? News?) as well as those sitting at the bar if the barstools swivel. It also makes the fireplace area the focal point of the room rather than having a TV in another spot that competes with the fireplace for the focus of the room. And it gives you the most flexibility to arrange your furniture, and to re-arrange when you want something new.
2 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 9:30PM
anthip
It depends how much you watch TV though doesn't it? If you don't watch it much then it seems a shame to have a massive ugly black space above your fireplace. Maybe you could put doors on it or something? We kept ours hidden behind a big painting for a long while.

[houzz=Mill Valley Classic Cottage]

[houzz=Spanish Colonial Malibu Hills]

[houzz=Living Room]
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 9:35PM
PRO
InteriorsbyDesign
As the owner previously stated, the cable outlet is not above the f.p. It is on the long wall near the French door. If the wiring is not in place In the construction phase, it is difficult, if not impossible to add later on. Also, I think unless you cannot put a t.v. anywhere else, it is so unattractive over the f.p., and awkward to watch. Besides, furniture placement is not conducive for watching t.v. if it is placed above the f.p. with this particular layout.
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 7:35PM
mhixenbaugh
We are moved in. Need help with ideas now for fireplace and walls.
2 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 3:18PM
PRO
La Maison Chic
I would try the couches facing each other rather than L configuration. you need an area rug that will sit unnder each couch with a tiny bit of red or yellow in it and more big art on the walls. You need the same theme pictures too. its hard to tell from the photo but it looks like a courtyard scene? You could also choose a bit small artpiece for over the fireplace and put two sconces up for lighting. The rug could be a contrasting color like green or go more analogous, red, red orange, yellows. i would try for something with a more modern feel. I wouldnt do too much red in the area rug.
the coffee table is too small for the couch you need a more substantial coffee table to balance it. . you could use a sofa table on the back of one of the couches if they faced each other. you need throw pillows with more assortment of colors, think warm yellows, orange, red, red oranges. You could go a butter yellow on the walls and perhaps the fireplace wall you could do a deeper color of the yellow for contrast.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 4:56PM
Jean Tuck
Sofas facing each other is nice if fireplace centers the wall but sadly not so, no end tables? You might want to use horizontal stred curtains like the thrown with same color it has. Trow cushions that are beige and burgandy plain , just me though.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 5:03PM
Peg Silverwood
In smaller spaces mirrors are are a wonderful way to make the room feel bigger. A Large mirror on the wall that had the garage door would be a great place. I agree, as to the sofa's facing each other.
Is that a coffee table or end table used for one? I lower slender table would ground the seating. Or an ottoman would be very nice adding a tray on the ottoman. the picture you have on the fireplace mantel could work there. Some large candle sticks on the hearth will be a nice addition or on the mantel on each end. A beautiful large plant in front of the fireplace will add a fresh look. a sofa table that is slim would look nice behind the sofa with lighting on the table. Referring to Sofa that is on the garage wall. Two paintings that are larger sized replace where the small mirror is hanging. Hang them up and down from each other. It is a very nice room with the furnishings. ;D
2 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 6:52PM
Peg Silverwood
In thinking this through again and again..lol what about an amour' for the TV and componants and put it on the wall where the garage door is located. Take the sofa from that side of the room and place it on the opposite side just off of the fireplace and french door. you will want to put it close to the fire place so you are not obstructing the flow of the door way. Place the end table between the two sofa's and use an extension cord under the sofas to the wall by the french door if there is a wall plug there. add a small occasional chair by the window and fireplace lower style like a barrel space that is tufted. Get an ottoman to place in front of the two sofas. Keep the picture over the fireplace and hang it 4 to 5 inches above the mantel. The wall behind the sofa that is by french doors would be a great place for ledges rather that furniture and shelves. Check out pottery barn for that look.
Armour's have come and gone, but I do believe there is still a place in design and function in home living. ;D
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 7:41PM
PRO
InteriorsbyDesign
Can't imagine why we are still talking about furniture placement. Like mentioned before, this room is too small to have a sofa and a loveseat in the space. I really do not think it looks good where it is currently placed- in front of the counter overhang. This is an odd placement to me.
Placing the loveseat facing towards the sofa cannot work, either. Besides being right in front of the French door, thus not allowing access to the outside; you would be looking over it to see the t.v... so awkward. The cable t.v. outlet, as previously mentioned, is on the wall near the French door, so it has to go there. In my opinion, an armoire on the wall near the French door would be too large, overpowering, and too deep. A slim console or wall unit would be a better choice. Again.... This room is small!
That said, there were some good suggestions aforementioned. Less is more in this case. I think the painting would look better over the sofa. In my opinion, it is too large to be placed over the fireplace. It is just too wide. A mirror would look good, but be aware of the proportion. Round, rectangular, starburst, etc... would be fine. Just don't select one that is too large. Add a candlestick grouping, picture frames, vases... So many possibilities. Start with the large piece first. Add some live plants, good lighting, and fill in with table accessories, pillows...
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
paint job gone wrong
help i recently painted a room but the feature wall...
Curtain advice for a white living room with orange wall
I want to give the room a "warm" feeling... I love...
Small apartment layout troubles.....
So we are downsizing still have quite a bit of furniture...I...
Exterior color indecision
Can't decide between waska white cedar shakes in cape...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.