Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living Room revamp
deirdremwalker
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I would like to revamp my living room, I would like to change the wallpaper and look of the room. I'm thinking I might like to do a cosy/shabby chic look but I'm not sure if the shape of the fireplace is too modern for that! Any ideas welcome!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elklaker
The whole room looks rather contemporary. Do you have furniture or are you starting from scratch?
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 4:31PM
MAlps
Funny how everyone is busy updating their rooms to a modern look and your looking to go cozy! Good for u!
1 Like   December 27, 2012 at 4:33PM
deirdremwalker
I have furniture, a brown leather sofa and dark wood furniture that I don't plan to change. I want to change drapery, accessories etc. The doors are quite contemporary I know so I'm not sure what to go for as I don't want to end up with a mixed up look!!
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 4:41PM
gymbugmj2k
when i hear shabby chic, i think more along the lines of french country-style....which kind of wouldn't work with your current room (and what i think is the kitchen beyond those doors)

to come up with a lighter contemporary feel, you might try pairing your leather sofa and dark wood furniture with skirted white chairs, and light colored flowy curtains -- perhaps framing that door? also, your decor could have a more 'homey' pr vintage feel? perhaps silver, brass, etc candlesticks, and a framed mirror above the fireplace?
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 5:39PM
collettec
I would go with a beige paint color and add in orange and turquoise accents. Perhaps a colorful rug in brighter colors incorporating those colors. Perhaps an orange painted accent wall where you now have the wall paper on the fireplace wall. Incorporating color as well in the draperies. That might help bring in some of the informality that you see with shabby chic, while incorporating some of the elements you already have with the modern and orange accents.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 5:44PM
PRO
Color Zen
A rug, maybe a reclaimed wood coffee table, a new paint color, some shabby chic artwork... I think you could make it work. Love the clean lines you have, can't lie :) Feel you could get away with a mixture, might take some experimentation. Good luck! A fun design challenge.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 5:45PM
collettec
Just wanted to add to my previous comment. I would think about what there is in shabby chic that you like that could work with your more modern room and furniture. Two things that you could incorporate into the room more that would work with both your more modern room architecture and furnishings would be color and fabric, and both would make your room more cozy. You might want to incorporate some of the shabby chic colors, only not as light, given your dark sofas and tables in a darker shade, with for instance a large floral pattern on the rug. Lots of pillows and a throw. Drapes with color and texture would be something to consider. As Color Zen mentioned a fun design challenge!
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 9:27AM
PRO
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
The proportions of the fireplace work well with Edwardian era mantels, so you could easily do something along those lines, although that might be going too far.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 10:45AM
Jill Smythe
If the fireplace is too modern for shabby chic, why not add some glue on mouldings to it to create that look? Then the rest of the room will fall into place.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 10:52AM
mpoulsom
This is going to almost have to be an eclectic mix...which can work. I would cover the glass doors with curtains or roll-up shades/blinds for sure, on the living room side. Could be sheer or gauze type material. Or even roman shades in a patterned fabric.
I would then find a very large ornate mirror to go over the fireplace. You could either distress one yourself, or probably find one that is already distressed.
To be quite honest, the wallpaper you have on the fireplace wall looks like it could work as is. Not exactly sure what the color is...(bad computer monitor).
Get one or two overstuffed slipcovered chairs with skirts. Get some throw pillows that are in the same color range as those to use on leather couch.
Maybe a thick floral rug and one of those industrial bin carts for a coffee table.
Go antiquing and junk store shopping...find old flower vases or ornate silver pitchers and fill them with flowers.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 11:16AM
mpoulsom
also...i think someone mentioned turquoise or orange....I would tone that down and use pale turquoise and maybe a peach or coral color instead. It's more feminine in my opinion. cheers
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 11:19AM
judianna20
Your doors look very craftsman style to me. What about going that route but softer. Using your brown leather furniture, gray on the walls and a light gray rug. would you consider painting the fireplace surround this dark charcoal color?

0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 1:53PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Your fireplace is great. The whole Shabby Chic craze is past it's prime. Take some cues from that style which came into vogue in the 90's. Slip covered furniture still works but not the sloppy crumpled old look. Keep your lines crisp and the same with the colors and it will look great.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 2:04PM