Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Adding a touch of feminine to a masculine home
table4three
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'm a single parent of two elementary age girls. I have my own business, I work out of my home. This year, we moved into my dream home, a home that seems to have been been built specifically for me. Without any comment from me, people right and left keep saying and they tell everyone else, that house is totally YOU. That house is totally HIM. I do admit, it was love at first sight. It's a rare contemporary/modern house in this area of the country, tossed in the middle of a traditional neighborhood. The house came painted with earth tones on the walls and I haven't touched them since I moved in. While earth tones are not what I gravitate too, they take the focus off the walls and puts them on the colorful, vibrant abstract art on the walls. I love modern style, but after awhile, it is very cold feeling. I love the uncluttered simplicity, yet I want it to be less office like and more home like. I love style, I have an eye for what I like and what I don't like. But, I'm hindered by a bit of perfectionism that kept me out of the world of creative design, I can't take what is in my head and put it on paper, in my room or any other way the way I want it.

Basically, I want to take my house and feminize it. While I am a masculine man, I have this thick rope running through me that is all girl and that's where it stays. But, quite honestly, it's been a godsend having that raising two girls. If I was married to the ultimate girly girl who wanted a estrogen induced all pink girly sparkly smells like strawberries interior, I would be perfectly fine with that. I could say, "that's her thing" and say I tolerate it and have my scapegoat. Even now, I could introduce some of it sparatically on the main floor and say it's for the girls and I'd have a scapegoat, but I couldn't do that in my upstairs suite with my office and bedroom. I would have no scapegoat, so pink is totally out of the question. Maybe a cross-color like purple or something would be okay. Granted, I love colors, I love lime green, I love hazard orange (had a wall that color in my old house), the list goes on. I'm not afraid to be bold. Just for clarification though, if your trying to picture in your head who I am, I'm all man, rough around the edges, I love women, I'm attracted to women (that's not a cut on those who aren't, I'm just trying to create the image of me). I have high morals and values, so I'm not a player, this isn't a love pad, it's just a house for my girls and I to live and grow up in. If the right woman comes along, wonderful, if not, I'll be fine. In the mean time, I want a house that is home for my girls and captures them too (which they are a lot like me).

I probably just need to find the right designer who isn't limited by a testosterone barrier like I am and someone who gets me and my style, who can provide a woman's touch to my home and hold my hand through the process. But, how I find that person I don't know.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Best starting place for you would be to browse Houzz for inspiration rooms you like. Start your own ideabook here and when you think you've nailed something that is in your gut, post it with these pics and get ready for lots of input!
December 27, 2012 at 4:24PM     
collettec
I would check Houzz for modern inspiration rooms that have what you like. I would also check on Houzz under the professional section for contacts for interior designers in your area. Ask to see their work, find out how they price their services and see who you think might work well for you. I would make a list as well for what you feel the rooms now lack eg: warmth, comfort, what you don't like - as you mentioned feels too cold to you and also get input from your daughters as to what they like particularly for their rooms or if any areas that are more "their areas" as well. Not sure if it's a matter of gender, just someone who is able to work with you and bring what you want for your home to fruition.
December 27, 2012 at 5:04PM   
Erin
I really love your home. The modern architecture and decor are really great. I think you need to add some color with art and variations of fabrics with softer lines to your decor. If you added softer, curvy patterns that might balance out the modern architecture and furniture.... I actually have the same color green and blue with white furniture in my house as you do in your living room so I'm going to tell you what I'm doing with my house - maybe which will give you some ideas :) First, I started thinking about color in terms of hue and saturation. For example, your kitchen wall is not just green... it is blue/green whereas the lime green you like is a yellow green. Your floors are kind of a honey color which is a yellow/orange (gold)- that's why your blue rug looks so good, orange is on the opposite side of blue on the color wheel as orange. The blue color-field painting below actually has an orange layer underneath the blue that makes the color pop. If you want to make a color look brighter, put the color on the opposite side of the color wheel next to it (complementary colors). Based on this idea, I went with varying colors of blue, blue/green, yellow, and gold... The colors don't all have to match; they just need to be in the same family. Next I started picking out fabric with lots of different patterns... I think that mixing patterns makes a room more interesting and comfortable. The trick to mixing patterns is to keep the colors the same while mixing pattern size. Then I started picking out art. When picking out art, remember to include a lot of different styles while keeping fairly close to your color scheme. For me, I went with a modern color-field painting, an abstract painting, an Asian painting, and a Peter Max print. Last, I picked out a paint color... I decided to go with a really muted blue/green because I had so much blue in the art and fabric. Anyways, the picture below is what I used to decorate my house and I hope it helps! :)
December 27, 2012 at 5:33PM     
table4three
Here are other views...
December 27, 2012 at 5:42PM   
yulileo
I love your home. I do not think it needs anything additional from what you have. The look is very modern and neutral but you can add a coffee table in the living room and some accent pillows to the sofas.
December 27, 2012 at 5:46PM     
yvonnecmartin
Hi, as a "girl" who loves modern, I can tell you what differentiates your space from mine--fabric and texture. You need a few pillows (no more than two per couch) for your couches, throws for couches or chairs, more rugs, and window coverings. All of these add softness to a space. Beyond that I have woven wall hangings, plants, and more paintings on the walls. I don't see any books--hopefully you encourage your daughters to read. You might consider book shelves next to the fireplace Are there reading lamps by most chairs? I also suggest a coffee table by the couches-- they could hold a vase of dried flowers or a big candle.
December 27, 2012 at 5:53PM     
table4three
eksudder - Thanks. You know, when you see it in picture form on the internet, it seems cooler than when your standing in the middle of it. I guess maybe I just am used to it. I don't want a total makeover on the room, everything in that room is less than a year old, I really think I just need it to be better accessorized and perhaps, some variation of wall color. The blue does really pop out and I had never thought about the orange in the floor causing that. I have a hard time visualizing what something would look like, even my efforts with Photoshop and Sketchup, while fun, really don't give me what I really want to see, which all goes back to my inability to see the unseeable, at least with layout and art.
December 27, 2012 at 5:55PM   
table4three
yvonnecmartin - I think you hit the nail on the head. I hinted at this in my last post which I wrote before reading yours and that is it's not accessorized, it's just very basic. One daughter loves to read, the other one is really just getting to that age to enjoy reading. I'm not a big book reader, never was. :( Back on the room, I think that is where I need help, is in all the "extras", but I don't want it cluttered looking.
December 27, 2012 at 6:00PM     
orangecamera
Please don't be afraid to use whatever colors you like. If you like pink, use pink. It's your house. You can certainly start adding pink in subtle ways, such as a photo or painting of a sunset with a pink sky, or a pink sand beach. Or an abstract with other colors including pink.

You could add pink in a bathroom or powder room. Pink is a flattering color for most people's skin tone, so having it in a room with a mirror makes sense. Paint the ceiling a very pale pink and I bet nobody would notice it if you didn't point it out.

As you might gather by my name, my favorite color is orange. I've never been a fan of pink...but lately since being a houzzer, I've started opening my mind a bit, and I've been told that "orange and pink are friends". So perhaps you can find something with both those colors together and introduce pink in that way.

Funky Modern Living Room

Estate Model Home, Brampton

Ash's Room

Pink flowers are really nice too. Maybe you can start a family tradition where you buy flowers for your daughters on a weekly or monthly basis, just because. It's a good "excuse", and I bet they will have fond memories of it (and you) when they are adults.

Vanessa De Vargas
December 27, 2012 at 6:02PM     
table4three
For about 3 weeks, I had these pillows out, but decided I was overly expressing my geek'ness. So, I moved them to the sofa downstairs. :)
December 27, 2012 at 6:08PM     
Erin
You are more than welcome! I'm just bored at work and talking about decorating is fun. I like the purple dining room chairs btw!
December 27, 2012 at 6:14PM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I totally agree with you, table4three, that yvonne was spot on. It's accessories you need, and I had in mind some of the same things she mentioned.

Let's go back to photo 1 with the blue rug and the white leather furniture. We'll add to that some pillows and a throw, with more blue than lime. And that's because I want you to paint the window wall in the first room lime green.

I'm also showing you a rug below that incorporates shades of blue and lime. Your rug is fine for now, tho a little small. Some day you may want to replace it with something more like the one below.

That's what I would do with the first room. Perhaps we'll explore another room on another day.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
TFrond EcoArt Organic Pillow Chevron Green Pillow Cover by The Lacey Placey Belle Epoque 50-Inch-by-70-Inch Mohair Throw, Lime Spike, Hand-Tufted Wool Rug
December 27, 2012 at 6:22PM     
table4three
orangecamera - Here was my orange wall in my old house. That house had no hope, I tried to make it modern, a 113 yr old farm house just doesn't transform very well. :)

Here is a bathroom in the old house I designed, I really liked it, it was the girls bathroom. But we moved about 6 months after getting that done.
December 27, 2012 at 6:28PM   
mbnrick
the clean uncluttered look is great, easy maintenance;however a warmth factor is very important-accomplished by some fabric and texture. A few pillows,a throw,a some greenery (not flowers) the book idea is great. Making a home may be a a female thing, but its also a comfort thing, it has to feel good. Assessories should be kept to a few meaningful items, no clutter! Color is great ,but stay in a comfort zone for yourself. Maybe the more bold, the less of it? Yvonnecmartin had good advice . best wishes
December 27, 2012 at 6:36PM   
table4three
Erin - Thanks on the chairs. You know, I have more people ask me... Why did you get purple chairs, always asked in a negative tone. I always say, umm.... because I thought it was cool?!?!? People either love or hate my house, there is no in-between. The outside of it often stops cars on the street. It's kinda funny.
December 27, 2012 at 6:37PM   
Erin
That is funny - Tell them it's because you have a blue rug and purple is next to blue on the color wheel :)
December 27, 2012 at 6:46PM   
table4three
Uuuuuuu.... maybe that's what I need, a big color wheel on the wall. So, I can easily demonstrate. Or better, have a LCD version that you can change the colors and show different types of matching schemes. Okay, thats maybe pushing my geek side too much. My goal is make it more homey and not geeky. But the Minecraft block magnets on the fridge my daughter got from Christmas, they will have to stay.
December 27, 2012 at 6:54PM   
Darzy
Hi..yes, accessories it is. Before I saw your purple chairs I wanted to you paint the kitchen area purple! I love Caroyln's lime suggestions. I think some curves are needed in your space. This is so "expected" but a modern table with curves...

December 27, 2012 at 7:00PM     
PRO
Studio Homes
wow... great space...beautiful layout. deffinately my style. if you are actually unhappy with it but not sure in what way, had you ever considered that maybe the space is too cold feeling?... it might just need a complete change of wall colors. your colors are all cool tones. if youpaint the walls in warm colors it may make it more appealing to you. say warm caramel tones or chocolate accent wall...even a grey brown shade can keep it chic, flexible, and invitingly cozy. if this sounds curios to you just look at houzz pics in these tones. wall paint can change everthing! then you could use warm shades for accents...like throw blankets or cushions... and lamps rugs and art.
December 27, 2012 at 7:00PM   
Erin
Lol hey, geek is in. Go with it :)
December 27, 2012 at 7:01PM   
mbnrick
Liked your dining area alot-purple chairs-yay! A table runner to tie colors together would be nice, maybe a window treatment -simple like roman shade in a clean line fabric. Like your house alot-very beautiful- keeping focus on best features is good.
December 27, 2012 at 7:08PM   
decoenthusiaste
Here's a very family friendly and funky spot that could inspire your basement room, and another idea for the girls, as I see you don't hold back on their bathrooms!
Oberbeck Residence
Eclectic Bathroom
December 27, 2012 at 7:10PM   
broccoli10
I would read a magazine for examples and ask a designer to make sure you don't go too overboard :)
December 27, 2012 at 7:29PM   
table4three
Wow. I never expected so many responses. I'm used to once and awhile posting highly technical questions I can't find solutions for and to only get crickets responding. So, I was a little dumbfounded at everyone offering advice. Very cool. Glad I found this place. I haven't even started with my bedroom and adjacent office, guess two pics at first where upstairs but not good views.

Speaking of shades/blindes/window treatments... I really want something modern and classy, which is why I have shy'd away. I was to have a lady come out and measure and give me ideas, but some family things happened and I had to postpone. But thats probably the biggest decision yet. Blah. Well, glad I can get advice on here before deciding. Making decisions in a vacuum, while nice, can be frustrating sometimes.

Keep the ideas coming, this is fantastic. I guess I should take a queue form my youngest daughter whom is total girly girl and she loves Claire's. Accessories, accessories, accessories. She lives in there. Well, okay... so much to digest here. I pointed out clip-on ear rings to her and that was a big mistake, it opened a whole new world for her. lol.
December 27, 2012 at 7:48PM   
Sherry Mau
first off, I got a little giggle out of reading your post. really cute how you dug yourself into a hole and tried to climb back out, LOL! saying youre a man's man but no offense to those who aren't, Hehe. anyways, my first impression of your home was that it looks as though no one lives there. it looked like a furnished home for rent. I do like it but it needs accessories like pillows, pictures, etc. you dont have to over do it but just add what you and your girls like. I like modern too but with a twist(eclectic i guess you could say).
December 27, 2012 at 7:51PM   
PRO
Studio Homes
ooops... i meant colorful accents... i think using a warm grey or just grey wall paint would allow you to use those lime green or vivid orange colors as accents in a sophisticated but fun way.those combinations look great together.
December 27, 2012 at 8:03PM   
table4three
But I do see no one liked my Ketchup and Mustard Pillows. LOL. That's the same response I got from all the neighbor girls, "Ummm... those are Ketchup and Mustard Pillows?!?!?!? Why?!?!?!?!?!" I responded, "Because they are great together on corn dogs!" My girls laugh, the other girls, roll their eyes.

Darzy - You have a very good point. That would be my dream, but until then I must fill in the gap. The ship must continue to sail.
December 27, 2012 at 8:06PM   
table4three
Studio Homes - My old house had grey walls and grey carpet (unless the room had tile or wood floors in it). I was trying to get away from grey. But the thought of grey did rouse a smile in me. lol. Must resist grey! But why, I don't know....
December 27, 2012 at 8:11PM   
table4three
Sherry Mau - ha ha. :) Perhaps the kids back packs, homework, clothes thrown about would make it look more like home? But, you see, I'm a "big picture guy" or "birds eye view guy". I love concepts, I love coming with ideas, I love designing things, but when it gets down the little things like "accessories", I lose interest. Is it that I don't care? Absolutely not, I care very much. Perhaps too much, too many decisions, so I stop and move on to something else I can make decisions on. It's like in MInecraft, I can build the foundation and structure of the houses and then my oldest daughter goes in and decorates it. Sure, I like to decorate, sometimes, but it's more fun to give it to her and let her go in and do it.

Would I let her accessorize the house? Judging by her room... nope. But, I do proudly display their crafts and art work, they are both very talented artists.
December 27, 2012 at 8:21PM     
table4three
Another thing is IKEA is 6 hours away, which really cramps my style. In 2 years, about 10 mins away. But that's a long time. I am floored one is coming to town! Guess Ill just have to make another trip up there and entice the girls with Swedish meatballs again.

Anyhow, I literally need someone to grab my hand and pull me through a store and say, I think this would look good here, and I can say, okay or what are my other options? I need someone to narrow it down for me. Be it a professional or a Good Samaritan who has style. Otherwise I'll end up with Ketchup and Mustard pillows.
December 27, 2012 at 9:02PM   
Sherry Mau
That is so funny (ketchup & mustard pillows) that's such a guy thing to put something like that in their home, lol!
December 27, 2012 at 9:15PM     
table4three
Erin - I keep thinking about those soft curves you suggest. But I don't know where to start.
December 27, 2012 at 9:43PM   
table4three
Sherry - In the pics above, I think that while they are colorful, it's not very organized, it looks messy and cluttered. The love the purple wall photo, that is simple, you get the most punch from the wall color and then the accessories soften it up, but don't overtake it.
December 28, 2012 at 5:52AM   
Sigrid
The difference between an office and a home is personality. It doesn't take a lot of touches to introduce it. Why don't you ask your daughters to help you decorate? Depending on their age, you can have them draw a picture, pick out pictures for an ideabook, suggest things from catalogues. I'm not suggesting you let (here's a wild guess) 5 year old girls decorate your home, but once they offer ideas, pick one or two that will work for you.

You can either let their imaginations run wild or limit them by color scheme or item.
December 28, 2012 at 6:05AM   
table4three
Okay, a little over a year, I was thinking about overhauling my kitchen and adjacent rooms in my now, old house. At the time, I really liked these images I found online, it captured modern lines, but was also warm and more home like. But, with the new house, ironically, I have that greenish tone, but my bursting with color personality wants to take over spew color out, but something like this still has attraction to me, in a weird way. It's the inner battle. In the past, color has won, had a lipstick red room with red couches and red chairs. Orange walls, a lime green bathroom and the girls rooms had ballet pink and another with the most awesome pink color known to mankind. But, that only lasted 3 months, because we moved.
December 28, 2012 at 6:30AM     
table4three
Sigrid - I agree totally. Everything you see in the pictures, minus wall paint color and the tile around the fire place, is things I hand picked, so it is all my personality. I didn't design it around an example I found online or in a magazine or book, it was just what I could picture in my head and do, of course, factoring in financial resources, etc. While I can easily go out and find things I like and accessorize it, I think I want to start out with wall colors and think, what would work good with what I have already, and then get accessories to bring it all together. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, just complete it.

See this is good, all this feedback helps me really put things more in perspective and find out what I'm really wanting here.
December 28, 2012 at 6:41AM   
table4three
The main floor is the most "complete" of the other two floors. The basement, I have mental road block on, so I haven't touched it. Upstairs, I have high walls and ceilings and it's such an awesome space that I had very little to bring to it, so it remains to be done.
December 28, 2012 at 6:44AM   
table4three
Here is my upstairs, before I moved in. Aside from a bed and my office, it still looks like this.
December 28, 2012 at 7:00AM   
nomadkath
hey, table4three,
you have a great place, and I don't think it will take too much to just cozy it up. I agree with Yvonne---rugs, plants, fabric, natural fibers. The pictures you posted earlier are really nice...if you look at them carefully, they aren't that different from yours....they just have a few of those extra touches.....bamboo shades, plants on counter tops, the nice curve shapes of the 'jar tables' and baskets and plates on the shelves. I think in your living room, a larger rug, tall plant in the corner between the fireplace and window, a low cabinet under the painting with books and plants, a coffee table with a colorful table runner and something with a curve on top. Check out colorful table runners on www.novica.com (international artisans) from Central America. Vases, pitchers, bowls, planters, jars all have curves to balance the straight modern lines. And since your basics are wonderfully neutral, it is easy to add bright color accents. Wall hangings are a softer version of wall art....and you can find some very vibrant colors in them. I love the idea of taking your daughters shopping with you...I bet they'll have some good natural input on just what you are looking for...fuzzy pillow covers, warm, pretty accessories.........and you, and they will have the pride of your home having group input. Have fun with it :)
December 28, 2012 at 9:55AM     
Erin
Table4three- Good afternoon! Where to start as far as soft curviness - So you are a technical person... Think balance in a logical way. Your house is full of modern straight, vertical and horizontal lines. So, to balance out the sharp squares and rectangles you should look for soft circles and curves.. Literally soft, like soft fabric with a circular/curvy pattern - A Soft round ottoman or flowing curtains rather than square roman shades or pillows with a circular/curvy pattern. As far as pillows go, if you don’t want to spend a billion dollars, you can order pillow forms, shop online for fabric and have a seamstress sew the pillows for you - This way the look ends up more custom to your taste. For a modern fabric with soft curvy lines the first thing that comes to my mind is ikat... The pattern is called ikat. I've included pictures below :)
December 28, 2012 at 2:21PM     
table4three
Erin, thanks for the tips. :)

Okay... I braved nabbing some "accessories" knowing I had a clan on here that would tell me straight if it didn't look right, so I could take them back if needed. I tried to think circles and softness, it was harder to do than I originally thought because I gravitated toward the straight lines. I also set aside my weirdness to find something ordinary to add to it, since that was so much easier. Anyhow, I bought some pillows and something else for the wall. I also re-arranged the furniture (not sure I like it this way) from what it was in the other pictures just to fresh'n it up and get rid of the square/rectangle. Granted, I'm nowhere near done, baby steps into unknown territory, until I get the hang of it. But PLEASE, give honest feedback, cause I can still take this stuff back. You won't hurt my feelings, I can take it. (sorry, lighting is kinda weird and my iPhone has this weird black spot in camera all the sudden).
December 28, 2012 at 5:26PM   
PRO
LM Designers
Why not take pictures of one room at a time, take them with your girls to a store and let the sales ladies and your girls make suggestions. This would include your daughters in the decision process in their home and I think they would feel real important to be included like you value their opinion. The sales people always have ideas and opinions which they enjoy sharing. What doesn't work out goes back to the store. A fun project for your family. Your daughters will gain confidence.
December 28, 2012 at 6:31PM   
calikym
Tbh, I don't like the pillows, either white or blue ones, and I would turn the rug with the long side same length as couch. I would have used a more multi-colored rug, not just shades of blue, to pull in the purple on your dining chairs and colors in your artwork plus some white.
December 28, 2012 at 6:36PM   
table4three
LM Designers - They are gone for a few days, so thats why I haven't included them at the moment, but will when they get back.
December 28, 2012 at 6:57PM   
table4three
calikym - The rug is here to stay for now. I tried it the other way at first and it seemed weird. I think if I had a coffee table it would fill in the room more. The blue pillows have triangle design, which is similar to the rug. You can't really see the colors in the pillows, they have much lighter colors than they appear in the pic. The white pillows, have a circle flower like thing, which was soft curves. LOL. This is why I need help.
December 28, 2012 at 7:02PM   
Erin
Hmmm. I'm kind of torn on the furniture arrangement.. I like it because it creates 2 different focal points/ the fireplace and the window. Maybe if you rotate the rug 90 degrees straighten out the chairs with 1 end table (no lamp) in between them and scoot the couch in a little bit so that the chairs and the couch are both centered with the window (with your furniture centered with the rug). I think that might look good because it would keep the fireplace as a focal point and make the room feel more circular because you are going against the length of the room. Lol, the first pillows I bought for my white love seat were fuzzy and white... I think you can do better. Stay true to your aesthetic and get something with color :) I DO like the pillows on the couch even though they have straight lines... you did well because the pattern is approx. 1/3 the size of the pattern on the rug. I would return the white pillows and get 2 more with a small scale pattern approx. 1/3 the size of your new pillows. Then, I would move the pillows on the couch to the chairs because a small scale pattern might clash with the small tiles on your fireplace & it would put a small scale pattern on both sides of the room/ balance. Ok, now the circles above the fireplace..... Again I don’t think you were staying true to your aesthetic. Yes, it's circular :) but that is the art above your fireplace!... it's got to be something special. Maybe something geometric and modern? Art Deco like Erte? Or even psychedelic like Peter Max?
December 28, 2012 at 7:14PM   
Erin
Oops, didn't see the comment about the rug looking weird the other way.. I liked the way the furniture was arranged to begin with also...
December 28, 2012 at 7:17PM   
table4three
Erin - I got the circles, just for you. Here you had me distracted by your soft curves and I overlooked my own style. ;) I agree, something amazing needs to be up there, but it's an odd space. It's up pretty high. Whatever takes that space, needs to be vertically short and horizontally long.
December 28, 2012 at 7:24PM   
PRO
Gina Sofia Martelli , ASID
Floor to celing tropical palms and some stiking exotic accents and more colorful art work will give this room some character and warmth.
December 28, 2012 at 7:24PM     
table4three
Erin - Ok, I'll move it back to the way it was, tomorrow. It's just been like that for 6 months, figured I should move it around some.
December 28, 2012 at 7:26PM   
Erin
Lol :) Well I appreciate it :)
You have good style - Decorating is a process, not an event :)
December 28, 2012 at 7:28PM     
table4three
So, I guess I need to go back to using my own instinct, but be aware of shapes and patterns and find amazing things to accent and accessorize the space, not just the basic construct.
December 28, 2012 at 7:36PM   
table4three
Okay, what about these pillows? I just love Fab.com.
December 28, 2012 at 7:57PM     
Erin
Yeah! That's awesome! LOVE the colors and the print! Yes Fab.com rocks. Great find! :)
December 28, 2012 at 10:56PM     
table4three
Okay, so would I put something like that on the couch, chairs or both?
December 29, 2012 at 5:34AM   
table4three
I started to put things back to the way they were, BUT, decided to try something else. The original layout of furniture didn't allow a lot of room for other things, with this, I get a clearly defined entry way, I have more wall space for fluff. I was thinking about adding color beads or marbles to bottom of tall glass vase.
December 29, 2012 at 12:44PM   
Cynthia Schames
I like the changes you've made. I feel the room would be more balanced if you pair the two chairs on the fireplace wall (love that fireplace!) with the small low table between them. Not angled like before, but square on facing the sofa.

I'd also think about using an arc floor lamp something like the one attached here on the side table next to the sofa--and scoot the sofa out from the wall toward the center of the room just a tad as well. The lamp would add light in an area of the room that needs it (the center), plus adding a subtle curve and some more shine.

Adding a sofa table (skinny table behind sofa) would be a great choice, and give you a place to further accessorize with that glorious deep blue color. I've attached a pic of one that's linear and modern to complement your furnishings, but also would bring the organic texture of the lovely wood beams into the room in another way.

Lastly, to bring in another subtly curving element that doesn't scream "lady business!", you might consider a kidney shaped coffee table.
December 29, 2012 at 1:09PM   
table4three
Haha. So, my girls get back tomorrow and I wanted to surprise them with an enhanced living room. I went out and this time, bought some things, which was actually kinda fun. Only this time, I decided to pick out things I liked, that were true to me. The exception is that round thing the bear is on, choosing "what I should have" vs what is neat to me. I also pulled out some extra gems hidden around the house. I've had these small canvas paintings for years and they have been in a drawer, I didn't know what to do with them. But, in a whimsical moment, I had a brilliant idea (at least I think it is) and I hung them on the sticks in the glass vase. I had already got the mixed blue things to put in the bottom, so it was even cooler it actually worked. I also found the large "enter" key seat which I tossed in just to give you all a laugh. The pillows, yes, they are going, but for the sake of a more complete picture, I put them back. The bear, is being passed around my family as a representation of my grandfather, who passed away a few weeks ago. The yellow plate, my daughter made, the square down on the floor by the metal flower, has my girls hand prints when they were a lot younger. So, there you go. Now, pick it apart. :)
December 29, 2012 at 5:13PM   
table4three
Oh and another photo...
December 29, 2012 at 5:14PM   
table4three
Cynthia - I like and don't like the arching lights. They are cool, but they cross so many different design elements, from modern to country. While it would add some curves, it just isn't me. As for a kidney coffee table, I'm all over a curvy coffee table, but that is going to be a bigger decision to make than just some accessories. Prior to your comment, I had just posted about adding a sofa table, but if not against the sofa, I could have one under the color metal pics by the door, more as an entry table of some sort. All very good ideas, thank you very much for your input!

I'm not loving the layout I just posted above for furniture, I will probably end up back at square one for furniture placement.
December 29, 2012 at 5:35PM   
table4three
I think I'm going to vomit if I look at the above photo too long. Changing the layout really screwed with the whole coolness factor from my original photos I posted. I think the curve thing on top of the fireplace has to go.
December 29, 2012 at 5:50PM   
table4three
Okay, so now we are back to kinda where we started with just a little extra thrown in.
December 29, 2012 at 6:27PM   
table4three
I lack vision when it comes to the fine details. Maybe I should take Darzy's advice and just try and find a mate instead of trying to decorate. See, not sure I like the blue paintings on the sticks by the fireplace now. I'm a mess. :)
December 29, 2012 at 6:36PM   
Darzy
lol..I deleted my "find a mate" comment. I surely crossed the boundaries of decorating advice. : ) BTW..I personally LOVE the whimsical idea of hanging the art on the sticks in the vase. I think it looks great but I'd remove the small stuff on the floor because it distracts from your newfound art piece. I'm glad to put the furniture back. Walking into the back of the sofa is not welcoming to me. One way to instantly cozy up a space and add color is to put a throw blanket on the sofa. Pier 1 has some wonderfully soft ones in many colors. P.S. I'd be willing to bet that I'm the only one who likes your little canvas art hanging on the sticks.
December 29, 2012 at 6:54PM   
Darzy
BTW...I didn't mean for you not to decorate and find a mate instead! lol Just that a lady love will more than likely want to re-decorate for you. : ) Are you an English literature teacher? Your writing skills are showing.
December 29, 2012 at 7:06PM   
table4three
My last post didn't get posted, must have got caught by mod_security. LOL. Oh well. Okay, so back to my previous point. Your comment was great. I know many women I could run circles around on decorating, but I'm a long ways from making my vision a reality, which is my struggle in the creative realm and always has been, which is why I shy away from it fully and stick with being creative in other ways. Of course, that said, there are WAY more women that can run circles around me and I'd be more than happy to let them.

I must admit, I'm frustrated that this site doesn't have private messaging, I can think of SO many things they are lacking and I just want to add some code to it. BLAH! Guess I'll just have to go start my own site. :)
December 29, 2012 at 7:32PM   
table4three
The girls LOVE the decorations. They said they are perfect and they love the pink flower. In fact, they like all the extra touches. Thanks so much for all the input.
December 30, 2012 at 6:25PM   
table4three
The girls LOVE the decorations. They said they are perfect and they love the pink flower. In fact, they like all the extra touches. Thanks so much for all the input.
December 30, 2012 at 6:25PM   
Darzy
So glad they like it!
December 30, 2012 at 8:13PM   
orangecamera
I'm glad your daughters like the new decor.

I like the paintings on the twigs, however I'd adjust them so they're at different heights. More of a "bunch" than an "arc".

The home is new to you, and the year is about to be new also. Perhaps New Year's Eve (or day) is a good opportunity to start a family tradition of doing something design-oriented for the new year. Rearrange furniture together, paint pictures for the wall (or fridge?), learn origami together.... (make origami cranes and hang them among your pictures on the twigs?). I'm sure your daughters have ideas!

As you might guess from this and my previous "tradition of flowers" comment above, I'm big on making traditions for kids to hold onto. When my now-young-adult children are home for visits, they still want me to carry on with our traditions from their childhood. It warms my heart :)
December 31, 2012 at 7:54AM   
Darzy
I was going to suggest different heights for the canvas on the sticks as orangecamera suggested. How about for your next purchase you get a coffee table? That will "warm" the space up too.
December 31, 2012 at 11:35AM   
Erin
Lol. Table4three- you are funny :)
December 31, 2012 at 12:42PM   
April 14, 2013 at 1:12PM   
mumprenuer
Think the white cushions are nice but would look better perhaps on a lighter blue colour or possibly in that green sage colour by the stairs on your 1st main image. I would also add a few more cushions probably complementing the color of the floor and wooden beams or a throw
You may want to try this as well for inspiration. http://www.houzz.com/white-leather-sofa
April 14, 2013 at 6:06PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.