Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Entryway paint color
esskress
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I would love some opinions on what color we should paint our entryway, walls leading upstairs, and upstairs hallway. I have a habit of going very neutral with paint colors, which I'm trying to step away from a little bit, but don't want something too dark or bold. We currently have wallpaper, which has got to go. Our floors, woodwork and doors are white, which I love. We have black frames and furniture in our entryway. The floors and walls in the rooms surrounding the entryway are neutral.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
EB Interiors
if your afraid to go too bold, why not try a warm tan color to go with your wood?
BM philadelphia cream and monroe bisque are great colors and very "safe". sierra hils is a bit of a taupey brown, really pretty too.
December 27, 2012 at 6:15PM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Take a look at Sherwin-Williams SW6149 Relaxed Khaki. It's a wonderful greenish tan, and SW paints are less expensive than Benjamin Moore. We designers adore Benj. Moore for their fabulous array of colors, but I think that this SW color could work for you.
December 27, 2012 at 6:29PM   
PRO
Loribeth - Moments of Art
Find a piece of artwork that has colors that you love. I built the entire color scheme of our house around these pictures. If you love the colors in the art, you can't go wrong pulling a color from it. If it seems to vibrant, then go a shade lighter or go a bit more grey.
December 27, 2012 at 6:42PM   
Susan Mladenovich
Oh Carolyn I just read your comment as I finished posting my question about trim to use with Monroe bisque. Now I am thinking about SW. I am planning to do accent color of something with pea in the me (sorry o. My phone so don't have with me). There is a sample office vignette on those colours on the BM Website. Should I Che k put the SW option? I am looking g for something neutral I can keep for years and just make fun with accessory Colors
December 28, 2012 at 6:28AM   
PRO
I like SW 7012 Creamy as a trim color to go with Relaxed Khaki.
December 28, 2012 at 7:12AM   
esskress
Perhaps I should have said this, but our dining room walls, which is the room to the right of the entryway are a goldenrod color. I'm afraid the creamy tans/khaki would clash? (Full disclosure: first time homeowner, so I'm new at this and don't, for one second, claim to actually know what I'm talking about. :) ) Playing around on the SW website last night, this is what I kept coming back to: Classic French Gray with Raisin as an accent color. Maybe paint the wall w/ the front door the raisin color, along with the wall you face when walking down the stairs, eveything else classic french grey. Would that be too drab!? Goldenrod colored decor to bring in hues from dining room walls.
December 28, 2012 at 7:40AM   
Natalie
Hi-any color in a medium shade. Mocha/gray or sage/gray would look nice. Good Luck!
[houzz=T Eatons Loft Entrance][houzz=Master Hall]
December 28, 2012 at 7:54AM   
decoenthusiaste
If you like the BM colors EB Interiors posted, equivalent SW shades would be 6379 Jersey Cream (top left,) 6120 Believable Buff (top right) and 6093 Familiar Beige (bottom.)
December 28, 2012 at 8:00AM   
PRO
SW Classic French Gray is a dark gray that I would consider too dark for your entry. When you do decide on your colors, I would leave your front door and trim white and paint the wall around it the same color as the rest of the entry. I don't consider that wall a good candidate as an accent wall.
December 28, 2012 at 8:47AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like the ideas of :
Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design and Natalie
December 28, 2012 at 8:52AM     
esskress
Thank you so much for your advice!
December 28, 2012 at 8:55AM