Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Entry door
I. Miller
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Looking to update my front door and side windows either by replacing it with a new one or taking it off and replacing the glass, door knobs, and painting it a color that is different from the house. I live in the desert southwest if that helps in any way.

If I replace the door, what are the pros and cons of buying a fiberglass door and siding compared to a traditional wood door?

Finally, what color would you recommend for the front door? The current house color is cashew crunch. So far I have liked brick red but am open to any suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judianna20
I would guess your front entry is a one piece. It should be replaced as it does not go with your location. A rich stain and real wood would be my choice.

December 27, 2012 at 7:17PM     
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Love the option judyg has given, and those two trees are magnificent.
December 27, 2012 at 8:45PM   
Manon Floreat
I love the full length side lights in judyg's example. Here's another example in a similar vein. If you want color, you could certainly add some terracotta pots in the brick red color.
December 27, 2012 at 8:51PM   
PRO
AFC inc
The good exterior wood door is expensive. A very few woods is suitable for outside doors.
These species are expensive . Many factors contribute to long term durability such as botanical species , drying methods , grain , age and etc. Even if you buy quality product there some changes of warping and etc. If you want to have natural wood of stain the surface should be finished with marine grade finish only. The regular finish will look good but not for long .
Because your door looks strong it may have sense to repaint it with quality paint rather than change for same quality one. As for fiber glass door it may work for relatively inexpensive application . The questions is why to change solid wood door for fiberglass one ?
The existing door will looks about the same as new fiberglass one . Both needs to be painted and finished . Fiberglass can not be finished as real wood .
In my opinion either paint it and save time or money or change for really good but expensive one made out of Mahogany , Jarrah or Teak .
December 27, 2012 at 9:47PM     
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
How about painting it black.
December 27, 2012 at 10:12PM   
PRO
decoration
i think fiber glass is not a good option for security reasons & brown shades will be appropriate for this with grills of white colour.
December 28, 2012 at 12:13AM   
cohoek
Hi, I would paint it a dark monumental blue. Nice combination met the crunch..
December 28, 2012 at 9:19AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
A fiberglass wood look door is a great way to go. It is maintenance free and looks great.
December 28, 2012 at 9:22AM   
juliedbeck
I think it looks cheap!
December 28, 2012 at 9:28AM   
I. Miller
Juliedbeck, can you expand on what looks cheap? My current door, one of the examples, or a fiberglass door?
December 28, 2012 at 10:51AM   
zenhome
You need to research your products juliedbeck!

Fibreglass doors can be embossed to simulate real wood grain. It looks so much like wood that even up close it can be difficult to tell the difference. Fibreglass doors can be more expensive as they are a relatively new product, but in the long run are more cost effective. They do not warp, rot, crack or swell due to humidity or moisture. Wood on the other hand is susceptible to moisture and temperature changes.

A fibreglass door can easily last for decades, while wood doors will need to be replaced several times over the same period of time.

I like the colour of the door in judyg's photo above. Good chance that door is fiberglass.
December 28, 2012 at 11:13AM   
I. Miller
Thank you zenhome. I'm having Sears come out and do a free in home consultation and show me all the products that are available
March 8, 2013 at 1:07PM   
PRO
Fenstermann LLC
I do not agree that you will have to replace a wood door many times over within decades. In Europe, they have solid wood doors that have been around for centuries!! A well maintained wood door, in Mahogany will last for a very long time. I am not familiar with Sears' doors; just make sure you get something that will last.
March 8, 2013 at 5:15PM     
howellmsue
I have a fiberglass door faux painted/stained to look like a wood door and I think it still looks great 9 years later. Many people have commented that they cannot believe it isn't really wood.
March 8, 2013 at 5:44PM   
handymam
judyg, I love the door you picked. Perfect look for the area!
March 8, 2013 at 5:55PM     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.