Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for Laundry & Restroom Design
Nakpunar Akpunar
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We just bought a house and I'm so annoyed with honey color oak cabinets. But I have very tight budget and thinking to change wall colors and maybe add a few accessories, such as an indoor/outdoor carpet, some new towels etc. Our house is in a rural area with a lot of trees so I really like to get warm, cozy decorations.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jayme H.
I would paint the cabinets and maybe put interesting hardware on them. Carpet could get dirty fast in a room with a toilet. I would do large area type rugs (washable) vs. carpet. You can absolutely paint the walls a color.
December 27, 2012 at 7:23pm   
Nakpunar Akpunar
I'm totally clueless about the wall colors. I'm thinking maybe very dark navy blue but my home generally in earth shades and I don't want it's stand out from the rest of the house.
December 27, 2012 at 7:34pm   
Jayme H.
Do u like Khaki-goldish like? That is earthy. I did that in a medium tone in my son's room and love it. IDK about blue. I am just not a huge fan of blues as I had too many tones of it in our current home/changed it all. But it's what you llke!
December 27, 2012 at 7:36pm   
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with painting over the cabinets. Here is an example with a brighter green color which works well even in a smaller laundry room.

December 27, 2012 at 7:53pm   
Nakpunar Akpunar
Our kitchen cabinets are very dark brown, everyone mix them with black. Do you think it'll be too dark for the laundry room? I know i can paint the cabinets with rustoleum cabinet transfer paint kit but is there any other paint in the market?
December 27, 2012 at 8:04pm   
Nakpunar Akpunar
Do you have any link that I can see the color? For last 10 years we used very similar color in our rental house and I think if I go with earth tone I prefer taupe color. But I'm open all the suggestions because I'm very bad with decoration.
December 27, 2012 at 8:06pm   
Christine Robertson
I would paint the cabinets a white colour then add colour with accessories.

We have just painted our kitchen cabinets and it mad a huge difference. It went from being a dated dirty coffee colour to a bright clean looking white. We also replaced the knobs. We also repainted this dark wood modular unit white with great results.

Amazing waht a bit of elbow grease and paint will do, and it's not expensive either.
December 27, 2012 at 8:47pm     
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
Paint the cabinets white, using new hardware,maybe brushed nickel and use wall paper on the walls.
December 27, 2012 at 9:01pm     
PRO
AFC inc
Type of paint is a very important for long term durability.
Oil an enamel should be used because durability , looks and and easy maintenance .
Latex an enamel usually looks good but not long and hard to maintain.
December 27, 2012 at 9:05pm     
PRO
Andrea Prasch
I also did a cabinet makeover. Heres mine. It's amazing what paint will do! I would suggest getting a paint sprayer either renting or buying a handheld.
December 27, 2012 at 9:11pm     
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Also for your accessories try homegoods if you have one! Hope this helps post after pics!
December 27, 2012 at 9:18pm   
Nakpunar Akpunar
Thank you so much for all suggestions, they're looking gorgeous. I paint only 2 walls in all my life and I'm not sure if I can handle the cabinets. Do you think it's easy? My husband doesn't like and do any home maintenance stuff so I have to do all myself.
December 28, 2012 at 2:22am   
PRO
Linda
If you aren't very familiar with painting, I would not paint cabinets unless that was absolutely the only hope for a really, really ugly situation. To do cabinets that look reasonably decent, you need to clean, sand, prep, prime, prep, sand, first coat, sand, second coat and possibly even third coat.

Cabinets should be sprayed rather than rolled or brushed for best finish. And, for long term durability, you need an oil based enamel which means buying oil brushes and thinner or a high end waterborne product like Pittsburg Paint's Breakthrough at more than $50/gallon and only available in gallons.
December 28, 2012 at 6:24am