Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help with New Kitchen Backsplash!
conniemar
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We just remodeled our kitchen. I cannot decide on a back-splash tile. I like Travertine or Limestone, however, I cannot seem to find the right shade to match the granite counter top. We have Cherry cabinets with San Francisco Real Granite and a white cabinets center island with Cafe Imperial Granite. The flooring is Red Oak hardwood.

Thank you so much in advance.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
Great looking remodel. Looks like there are some darker bits in the granite. It's best to visit your local tile supplier and bring home a few samples if you haven't done it already.
December 27, 2012 at 8:00pm   
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
Is the c.top on the island different? could you show a clear picture of the island c,top. You could pick bits from the island c.top, while looking at the samples.
December 27, 2012 at 8:42pm   
Aaron Bowman
This is a great combination of colors, and should be easy to decorate with. :-)
I would use a travertine/marble field tile in 6" on the backsplash, with accents cut from the Cafe Imperial granite. My suggestion for field tile would be Crema Castilla from Questech. This is a lifetime warranty sealed product which looks AMAZING. Another thing.. find yourself a GOOD custom tile cutter... He may not be cheap, but bite the bullet and spend the money, you will be glad you did. The tile backsplash (if done correctly) should tie all the colors of your kitchen together, as well as provide some "punch" for the granite countertops.
December 27, 2012 at 8:59pm     
cramersk
Look at Ankara with a Mexican Noce listelle. You can find them at most tile locations or at Arizona Tile.
December 27, 2012 at 11:51pm   
PRO
December 28, 2012 at 12:30am   
PRO
Stoneshop
Judging by my monitor, a tumbled or honed South American Travertine in the color "Coliseum" by Heartland Tile appears as if it would match beautifully with your granite. Go to your local tile shop and see if they carry this brand. They make a wonderful product, and it comes in numerous sizes. They are priced pretty well, too! Your kitchen looks beautiful--I can't wait to see it with a backsplash :)
December 28, 2012 at 1:02pm     
PRO
Wallmark Homes
Great look so far, I think what you are missing is a little touch of color right over the stove, framed with a white tile.
January 10, 2013 at 3:02pm   
mmilos
Looks awesome so far. What about a light gray subway tile installed in a herringbone pattern?
Something like this, but I would do lighter tiles with your wood cabinets:

January 10, 2013 at 3:14pm   
conniemar
I would like to thank you all for your ideas and suggestion. Attached you will see the tile we finally chose.
March 27, 2013 at 6:49pm   
micstamper
Beautiful choice!
March 27, 2013 at 7:03pm     
K B
Yay! I love the subway tile. It's a classic for a reason. You will enjoy this for many years to come. Beautiful!
March 27, 2013 at 7:06pm     
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Yes that is the problem with stone on stone-finding the right color/dye lot is key. Hence the reason for a different material: ceramic which has enough body to look good with a granite.
March 27, 2013 at 7:12pm     
PRO
Stoneshop
It looks gorgeous! I love that you went with a beveled subway tile to add some dimension. The herringbone pattern over the stove is great as well.
March 28, 2013 at 9:36am     
Meredith McMullen Galati
Perfect choice! the white was just what you needed to balance the island to the rest. Beautiful!!!
March 28, 2013 at 9:46am     
PRO
Modern Age Designs, LLC
I was about to write what you already have picked and its a great choice. You will love it. I was going to say that you put under cabinet lights to make it look even brighter. Enjoy your kitchen.
March 28, 2013 at 9:53am