Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with family room design
blessedboyds
December 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hello, we are still unpacking in our new home and need help with the family room design. We have tried placing the furniture in different spots and this setup seems to work best for us, but feels boring. My kids like to lie on the floor and watch Tv, so we decided not to mount it above the fireplace as I think it would be too high up. Any input on how to make this space more inviting and cohesive would be awesome. Thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Manon Floreat
I like your arrangement, but I don't know that it's ideal for TV watching. I'd try them in a L formation with one sofa in front of the windows and the other perpendicular to it. A larger area rug will expand the seating area. I'd think a little more about the color palette to add some cohesiveness to the room, as well. Which accent color is most appealing to you?
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 9:01PM
blessedboyds
It is not ideal unless you are on the floor behind the loveseat, which is where the kids love to gather, Lol. We have a theater room where we watch Tv the most, so this Tv is mostly an after thought. I tried the L shape, and we did not have room to pull the barstools out from the counter. I agree, we do need a bigger area rug. The orange is more appealing, but there is no orange in the canvas art above the console.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 9:12PM
blessedboyds
Really I could go either way, orange or teal. I love them both.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 9:23PM
Manon Floreat
The bit about TV watching behind the loveseat gave me a chuckle! Since the TV was an after thought and you have another place for watching TV, would you consider removing it from the room? If you do, you'll be able to place the sofas farther apart. It's a good sized room, but looks a little over focused on the center with the sofas being so close together.

I'd find an area rug that speaks to you. One that you know you will enjoy for years to come and let that inform your color palette. You know you like the teal and the orange, so that's a good place to start.

I'll also suggest that you remove the square side table. It's far too low to be functional for the tuxedo back sofa.

A couple of rugs to think about (with teal and orange) . . .
1 Like   December 27, 2012 at 9:53PM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
It looks like you have room for a nice console table in front of your larger window. This could have a pair of tall narrow (buffet style) lamps on it and it could incorporate a shelf or two below the top for books or decorative items. This would help with the lighting of the space and make it feel less empty. Otherwise, I like the arrangement you have done, but with a larger rug as stated above.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 9:54PM
blessedboyds
Love the rugs! Thank you. I have a console that I could place there, great idea thank you. I was planning to place bench seating under the windows so I could sit and watch the kids play out in the backyard. We have a private picnic table and a natural forest area that backs up to our property. Its a beautiful view. But I love the console idea as well.
2 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 10:09PM
PRO
Calvin A Cannon Interior Design
the table at the end of the sofa needs to go away, It blocks someone from entering the area with ease. That is what makes it seem uninviting.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 10:34PM
blessedboyds
So remove it completely, or place it on the side of the sofa?
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 10:38PM
blessedboyds
I see what you are saying. I will remove the side table completely. Thank you. This is a pic of our foyer taken on move in day. Any ideas on how to make it more inviting?
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 10:58PM
PRO
Calvin A Cannon Interior Design
Remove it , you can't access it because of the high arm on the sofa and the coffee table in front is enough surface space for that furniture placement (which I love and use often).
1 Like   December 27, 2012 at 11:06PM
blessedboyds
Ok, thank you.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 11:07PM
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 11:17PM
blessedboyds
I love the first two, just the "dazzle" that the space needs. Awesome!
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 11:22PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Does anyone actually sit on the love seats and have a conversation? I would make this room an activity room. I would remove the tv and fill the wall by the stairs with shelves with a small bench area along the stairs. Add books and games to the shelves. Use sofas for quiet reading areas. I would add a drop leave table with chairs off to sides in front of the large window. A great place for family games or home work. Yes to large colorful rug, yes to deep six the small table, and paint the walls & ceiling when you are done choosing any fabrics & colors. Is this a casual room for the family or for entertaining your friends. If the former, then the light fixtures are a little over the top, but if the room is for YOU, then the lights are great. Good Luck.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:57AM
blessedboyds
Hello Barbara, this is our family room, and we will be entertaining in here when family and friends come over. I would love to make this an activity room because we have a theater room upstairs which will be used on weekends for movies, video games and sports. However, not sure if you can tell or not, but the family room has a built in surround sound system in the corner where the Tv is located. My husband would never allow me to remove the tv because this is why he fell in love with this home. So I have a new plan. I decided that I will place this furniture in our office/den, ditch the side tables, purchase a nice L shape sectional and a large colorful area rug, do bench seating along the window, place a mirror and new accessories over the fireplace, find a nice chandy, consider mounting the Tv on the back wall and placing shelves on the wall a long the stairs. Maybe this way the family room will be more entertaining? Since there are built in shelves on the side of the fireplace, should my new shelves match them? Any other ideas for my new plan? Thanks.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 12:01PM
decoenthusiaste
You go, girl! See how motivating Houzzers can be!
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 12:08PM
blessedboyds
Yes, there are so many great ideas. I love Houzzers!
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 12:14PM
curraghgirl
love the sectional idea and bench seating by window but whynot mount the tv over the fireplace?
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 12:23PM
blessedboyds
Wiring issues due to the surround sound. No way to connect the speaker wires without re-wiring the whole thing to run over the fireplace. That's an expense that I find unnecessary. Plus its too high up, my husband has scoliosis and looking up that high for a while would put a strain on him. I love the look of it, but its just not practical for us.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 12:37PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I think your new ideas and plan are great. I would match the shelves to the ones along the fireplace. If you hang the tv on the wall, will it swivel out? as it would be hard to see at that angle. How about a low built in corner cabinet to match the shelves, maybe just a tad higher than now, to have the tv sit upon, it would then be at an angle to the sitting area. You would also have storage under it for components, etc. connect to the stair shelves and it would look more cohesive. You could also add 2 large simple ottomans along the side in front of the shelves. Choose a rug large enough to have all the furniture sit upon it if at all possible, it will make the room seem larger. Also choose a bold colorful patterned rug. Paint the walls & ceiling (always paint the ceiling, it enlarges the room) there are great neutral beiges, grays, taupe,choose after you select your rug. Add solid color draperies (93/94") from ceiling to floor just off the windows, also maybe lined woven woods on the windows for optimum tv watching. These are just some thoughts, I am sure whatever you do, your room will be beautiful. Please post pictures of the finished product. You have a beautiful home. My very best to you.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 8:53AM
blessedboyds
Hi again. Well since my last post, we have learned that our neighbor actually built this home, and can easily re-wire the surround sound. So now my husband is debating on mounting the Tv above the fireplace. Either way, we live very close to an Ikea, so I am going to go with some type of shelving unit from there for that corner. The carpet will be changed, it is loop bound, and our dogs claws are getting caught in them. New hardwoods are not in the budget right now, so we will be putting down a different carpet. I am thinking something smokey grey. Then maybe a nice orange color geometrical patterned area rug. I know that I want a orange color area rug, so what color should we paint the walls. And should we just do an accent wall, or paint all the walls including the foyer? The curtains most definitely will be changed to a solid color, and our new furniture will be leather. Should we go light color on the leather or dark? Thanks for all the great ideas. I am so excited!
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 11:47AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Great ideas, I like the orange patterned rug and a smokey grey carpet. Please do not paint an accent wall, I think it makes rooms smaller in feel. I would however continue whatever color you choose into the foyer. Choose your rug color first there are only a few carpets that will appeal to you and there are thousands of paint colors. Grays can be either to the blue shade or a taupe shade so find that first. Keep it a medium tone, not too dark and not too light. Choose you paint color from that point. Maybe a lighter or darker shade from the carpet. The entire area would expand in feel. Use your oranges and teals or whatever other colors for accent pillows, bar stool covers, ottomans, bench cushions in front of windows,etc. Mix pattern types, stripes, Ikat, contemporary florals, etc. As for the leather, consider ivory to lighten the area. Please also paint the ceiling. It really finishes the room and expands the area. I always paint the ceiling. If the wall color is dark, I paint the ceiling a lighter shade or a coordinating color, if the walls are light to med. tone, I paint the ceiling the same color. Don't be afraid. As for the TV, I would not put it over the mantle, I think it is too high for anyone, and should not be the focal point of the room unless it is a theater room. My best to you. I know it will be a beautiful room.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 2:51PM
blessedboyds
Thank you!
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 3:15PM