Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Can't decide on a color scheme
wfsiii
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'm refurbishing this apartment, which is a converted Victorian warehouse in Manchester, England. It's a double-height vaulted brick box with a mezzanine (those funny stairs to the right lead up to it) and dual exposure (windows at either end of the longish space). Despite the windows, there's not much sun in this part of the world, so I figure I should take advantage of the moody weather and create a dark, cozy den of a place. I am going for a Victorian-industrial meets modernized 60s bachelor pad look, but I just can't decide on the right combination of colors. I adore gray, simplicity, dark moody interiors, etc.

I'd love any suggestions for the proper combination of grays or similar!

(These photos are CGIs I've fiddled [amateurishly] with in Photoshop, and they show the schemes I've thought of so far. The structures will definitely be like this, but finishes are up in the air.)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Your space and your questions are very intriguing to me. I brought out my Farrow & Ball paint chips since I know you have access to this paint over there.

My first impression is that the grey side walls are creating a very skinny box effect and they don't take advantage of the beautiful brickwork. Instead of using so much grey, I'd paint the walls No. 56 ETRUSCAN RED ("this deep earth colour was often used as part of decorative neo-classical schemes made after the excavation at Pompeii"). This will wrap you in the warmth of the brick colour but still not look like you're trying too hard to match the brick colour. The over all effect will be of a unified space, and it will seem larger.

Then you're on the right track with charcoal grey seating and bold black/grey/white artwork. The artwork will stand out more against the contrasting wall rather than blending with the grey in your rendition. Shiny silver or nickel lighting fixtures will accentuate the scheme really nicely.

I definitely want to see pictures once you're done everything!
December 28, 2012 at 8:05AM     
wfsiii
Hi Cynthia.

Wow, thanks for your very insightful comments! Much appreciated. That F&B color is an archived one, so I'd have to ask especially for it. It's lovely though.

I'm a fan of red tones -- in fact gray and red are my favorites (I do a lot of work in China, and that's the dominant color scheme!).

The CGIs are adding to this skinny box effect. In real life the room is wider-seeming. The walls now are all white, including that massive storage/wall thing on the right. The white is oppressive, I think, so I was indeed looking for something that made them both recede in terms of power and envelop the people inside.

The red makes the kitchen cabinets a dilemma, though. Anthracite gray looks strange to me now.

So many choices! I'll certainly post when it's all done -- in many months!
December 28, 2012 at 8:58AM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Once again Cynthia Taylor-Luce you hit the nail on the head. I think I should come work for you. lol
December 28, 2012 at 9:03AM     
wfsiii
another view
December 28, 2012 at 9:09AM     
decoenthusiaste
Here's a dark, masculine scheme of grays and an accent:
Sherwin Williams 7017 Dorian Gray, 6278 Cloak Gray, 7006 Extra White, 7702 Spiced Cider (accent similar to your brick.) Check them out at the SW website.
December 28, 2012 at 9:15AM     
mpoulsom
I think I like the gray on one side and the reddish on the opposite walls! LOVE the space!
December 28, 2012 at 9:29AM   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Thanks for the great reactions! I see what you mean about the kitchen though. Why not change the cabinets to a darker grey, like charcoal? On my monitor you're closer to the Etruscan Red in the second view but it's still too burgundy-ish. Etruscan Red has a lot more brown in it, so don't judge until you see the actual paint chip. I do, however, really like the effect it has of unifying the space. Here are a couple of quotes about using Etruscan Red that make it sound irresistible:

“This reminds me of those wonderful neoclassical rooms by Karl Friedrich Schinkel in Berlin or Robert Adam in England. It has an excitement that straight brown doesn’t have because of that hint of red, and I love red. I would glaze it for extra depth and do the woodwork in faux stone. Bring in a little gold, a deep green. Modern furniture on bare wood floors with a Greek vase in the middle.
– David Easton on ETRUSCAN RED

"This color envelops you, quietly penetrating like a deep massage. You can relax and regroup, physically and emotionally, until you regain your strength. It's the color of the clay pipes made by the indigenous people of our land to communicate with the creator. It doesn't feel like paint. It feels like mother earth herself."
- Kathryn Scott on ETRUSCAN RED

I've been looking for some good images of the colour online, and here's a room that's labelled that colour and looks pretty close to my chip. I think any art hanging on this coloured wall would look fantastic. It's also cool to see how great it looks in a very traditional space. I think it would look just as beautiful in the home you envision.

And wfsiii, if you aren't quite sure, hire me and bring me over for a personal consultation. I'd LOVE to go to Manchester :)

Take care and have a wonderful New Year.

Cynthia
December 28, 2012 at 4:36PM   
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
I would up light the ceiling for the sexy look you want.
December 28, 2012 at 5:06PM