Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Couch needs help
todthenewguy
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I saw this cute leather couch that was blue,but my living room is more of like a brown type.Should I just get the blue one and paint the room blue or should I just get a brown one?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
feeny
I think a blue leather couch is not nearly as versatile in the long run as a brown one. And it is important to think about the effect of the design and color palette of your room as a whole, rather than just falling in love with one piece of furniture. So if you want to design the whole room around the blue couch, that's fine, but think of the effect you want as a whole, not in pieces.

I'm not sure what the second photo represents. Is that your current room? (in which case, it looks lovely and you shouldn't buy anything at all).
December 28, 2012 at 5:58am   
Natalie
Hi---I agree with feeny, if that is your current room, I'd forgo the blue sofa. You could easily change the look by just adding different pillows---blue/grays instead of warm golds/orange.
I do like the blue sofa too and if you want to go for it, you can paint the walls any color, not necessarily blue-nothing too light in hue. Good Luck!
December 28, 2012 at 6:05am   
PRO
Dytecture
I also vote for going with a brown sofa, but if you really want a blue sofa, then the rest of the room should be kept as neutral as possible.

December 28, 2012 at 6:37am   
fabia
Your living room is more of a brown type. Hmm, . What is it that you like about this sofa? The shape, style, texture, fabric, or colour? Don't try to fit a square peg into a round hole. never works. take a moment to look at your house. Are there any blue accents, or areas in your home that contain this colour? Because this will impact your decision. If you have never added blue, think hard about adding this very BLUE sofa. I like to add a random colour, but it has to be a colour you can live with for a very long time. This sofa is an investment. It will change how the rest of the room is managed, in terms of colour, scale,style and balance. Let me see your living room, then I can give you a better qualified answer.
December 28, 2012 at 7:10am