Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help how to make nice living room to look great
hananh
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have nice small living room that need some touch ups , we want to add rug , some pictures and some accessories but still keep the clean and feel of a contemporary look
Thanks
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
If you can possibly find another location to put the bookcase, I think this would improve the balance of the room. The bookcase is dark and tall and heavy and takes attention away from the rest of the room.

In addition to the rug and a large picture over the fireplace, I'd recommend simple roman shades for the windows and a grouping of framed art centred over the sofa. It's hard to tell how much room you have to add accessories because of the angle of the panoramic photo. I always recommend decorative lamp light but I'm not sure there's room to accommodate a floor lamp or table with lamp.

Generally speaking, keep the rug simple and light coloured, and the fireplace artwork bold. You might want to add a couple more accent cushions to the sofa. They could be in a solid texture rather than a multi-coloured pattern.

It would help to know how many people will use this room, their general age group, and what activities will be done in this room. Is this the only sitting room, or is it only occasionally used? Is the goal to be comfort or to be a showpiece? More details will help :)
December 28, 2012 at 6:35am     
hananh
Thanks Cynthia,
This room is used daily for reading listening to music and playing with our girls ( 3Yo and 6Yo).
the bookcase cant be re locate at this time , there not much to for any additional lamp due to the small room .
December 28, 2012 at 7:26am   
Nancy Hehmann
Look on target.com or Capel. Website for area rugs. I would try to incorporate the colors you already have in you furniture. Repeating colors tie it all together. Roman shades are also something you might consider. Look on JC

Penney.com for a large moderately priced without going custom. Etsy.co has a lot of home decor items. Just input what you need in search engine such as Photography flowers or Paris They have lots of home decor items including throw cushions. You can discuss your purchase with each "shp owner" too.
December 28, 2012 at 8:52am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
@Cynthia Taylor-Luce you are spot on again. I hope they listen to you. Your taste is impeccable..
December 28, 2012 at 8:55am     
decoenthusiaste
Regular pics would be appreciated by Houzzers as we get no realistic concept of room size from panaramic views. Start at the entry door and shoot from each corner and mid-wall working around clockwise.That means about 8 pics. Thanks.
December 28, 2012 at 9:27am   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Interiors International, Inc., you're going to give me a swelled head LOL You are most kind.

I think this is a lovely room and hananh has made a beautiful start on it. I have every confidence that the finished room will be even prettier. Can't wait to see it!
December 28, 2012 at 4:43pm   
Natalie
Hi---yes the bookcase is throwing the room off-balance. If you can relocate, great! I suggest a rug with a bold pattern---it will give that accent chair purpose and connect the hues in your furnishings. Rug...
Whimsical and colorful art pieces for the kids-and I prefer floor to ceiling tailored panels for the windows, just makes it a bit more cozy. Hope this is helpful---Terrific space... Good Luck! http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-chic-chevron/orange/200HJUZB15C-76096.html[houzz=
]http://www.etsy.com/listing/20928027/long-hair-chihuahua-print-8x8
December 28, 2012 at 5:25pm   
yvonnecmartin
If you could bear to paint the bookcase the wall color that would help.

I am curious how you read in this room without lamps. I would think that the ceiling lights would either be too bright all over the room or not bright enough on the page.
December 28, 2012 at 5:53pm   
PRO
LM Designers
It is hard to tell from this picture but it seems the ottomans are to small. I think I see 4. More pictures would really help. Nice start just hard to give advise without all the information. Right now I want to whisk them out of the room and see a beautiful rug. One long leather ottoman that has storage might look better than so many seperate ones.
December 28, 2012 at 6:03pm   
More Discussions
Need Help with Mailbox Idea
I'm in the process of painting the front door a ruby...
Cabinets framed or frameless
Are framed cabinets out of style or are they still...
Squeaky floor fixes?
Do you have any squeaky boards in your floor? Have...
Need help with empty space near staircase
I need help on what to place in my empty space near...
HOUSE UNDER CONSTRUCTION
May you please help me with roof tiles colour which...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.