powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What color to paint wall next to chair rail?
ttaazz
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are finally paining our DR which has been white for the past 5 years! We did a brown below the chair rail, and beige w/ pinkish hue above the chair rail. The chair rail and other trims will be white (not done yet). Our chair rail ends before it reaches the end of the wall. So we need to figure out what color to paint that part of the wall. My husband is thinking we should do the white trim color on the wall that small section of wall parallel to the chair rail between the brown and beige. I think that will look strange. What is done in a case like this?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I hope I've understood the question!

First of all, in the first photo where the chair rail stops short of the right corner, I would paint the upper wall colour down to meet the dark lower wall colour.

In the second photo, I would paint the projecting (two-inch?) wall the colour of the upper wall. I'm assuming this is the doorway to the room?

Basically, I would use the light colour of the upper wall as a "neutral" in the room, so it goes into the "awkward" places, while the dark colour is only neatly contained in rectangular (non-wandering) sections. The strong contrast of the dark colour will make any odd shape jump out at you, not in a good way.
December 28, 2012 at 6:46AM   
ttaazz
Thank you! You understood the question exactly. So now that we've already painted that projection (yes the doorway) halfway brown, can we easily paint over it in the lighter color? Sorry, we're newbies at this, so that may be a dumb question!
December 28, 2012 at 6:57AM   
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
Cynthia has is right! You can easily pain over the brown in the second photo - that projecting two inches. It may take more than one coat depending on the quality of paint but it will look much better with that part painted the 'neutral' colour of the upper wall.
December 28, 2012 at 7:02AM   
ttaazz
Great! Thanks so much for your help!
December 28, 2012 at 7:04AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.