Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
HELP with living room on a new house!
linamae
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are building this house and I have huge concerns about this living room! Where will I place the furniture and electrical outlets? There is hardwood flooring and I have an oriental rug. I guess the tv will be over the fireplace. There are too many problems for me to solve! I need the 5' wall at the top right for an antique roll top desk that will not fit anywhere else in the house! Help please.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I can certainly see why you're having such difficulty with your house plan. It's unfortunate that the person who designed this didn't take into account how a family is going to have enough seating, and you're quite right about the electrical plan being a challenge. I've been sitting here looking at this for a few minutes and have a few suggestions, but I'm not sure how far along you are, and what changes you might accommodate.

First of all, it is absolutely critical to have the roll-top desk in this space? Now would be an excellent time to sell it or pass it on to a relative or friend who has room for it. It leaves so little room for seating, that you may have to give up on having a sofa and instead rely on a grouping of comfortable chairs. In this case, put a comfortable swivel chair at the desk so you can bring it forward and incorporate it into your conversation area when needed.

Secondly, would it be possible to omit the extended countertop by your kitchen sink? If the wall were to continue there instead, you would be able to eliminate any countertop seating on the living room side and save a lot of space. You could have a sectional in an L shape that runs under the front windows and comes back towards the kitchen as a "floating" arrangement ideal for tv viewing. There would be room for a chair to the left of the fireplace, angling towards the sectional. You could have a floor lamp next to the chair. You could put a narrow console table behind the floating part of the sectional and place a lamp on it. Another floor lamp might fit at the end of the sectional by the window to the right of the fireplace.

It's really difficult to make out the dimensions of the room, so that's why I'm kind of vague on this.
December 28, 2012 at 7:06am     
linamae
Thanks for your help. My husband is not happy about omitting the bar. I suggested it before I posted. The roll-top secretary has to stay until the kids can take it. It is a nice mid 1800's piece. Is it reasonable to put outlets in the hardwood floor? I will have to put the oriental rug into the plans and decide where they would go. This is driving me crazy! There is not much space for artwork either.
December 28, 2012 at 8:51pm   
linamae
The living room dimensions are 20-2 1/2 (slider wall) by 17-6 1/2. (hearth wall). That bar is 1'-6" deep.. We will probably use stools to tuck under it to save space.
December 28, 2012 at 8:55pm   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Linamae, can you email me directly? ctaylorluce@cogeco.ca

Please measure your area rug and tell me the size. I am assuming you are purchasing new furniture? I'm playing with room arrangements now that I know the size of the room.

Looking forward to hearing from you! No need to drive yourself crazy. Help is at hand :)
December 29, 2012 at 10:28am