powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Curtains or No Curtains....is the Question......?
Maryann Vecchio
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
4 big windows on a large high wall.....what to do? what to do??
I was thinking about roll up blinds or roman shades but Im stumped!
Anyone? Anything??
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
Do you NEED anything up there, like for light control? If not, I would do nothing. Very pretty windows!
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 7:37AM
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Aren't you lucky to have such a beautiful space to play with!
I would suggest solar shades for all 4 windows, as well as drapes on the bottom two windows.
The nice thing about solar shades is they are semi transparent; allowing a filtered amount of light through. You also won't need to clean them as often as mini-blinds (which is a huge bonus when they are so high up!)
I would recommend choosing a colour (for the shades) similar to the colour and value of your walls. This will ensure that you aren't attracting a ton of attention to those high windows.....allowing the drapes and the lower windows to be the stars of the show!
Have fun and let me know how it goes!
Caroline
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 7:46AM
Maryann Vecchio
@ olldbobbi- This is actually a family members home & I do decorating & I definitely suggested colored roman shades or leaving them without anything- I agree with you- it looks great like that..... they have canned lights all over so they definitely dont need light control- I suggested nothing as an option also, I said to either do the colored roman shades similar to the walls as "What's Inside Design Ltd" suggested OR I said leave them empty & open- but they have neighbors & says it feels funny-(although they are thinking about it) so although I voiced my opinions- I wanted to see what others had to suggest

Thank You for your help
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 8:10AM
Maryann Vecchio
@ What's Inside Design Ltd- I definitely agree! solar shades huh? hmmmm nice!
Thank You so much & I will let you know
:)
Marianna
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 8:11AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
An idea I did was Floor to ceiling drapery panels. This really brought more attention to the high ceilings in a house. It was right on the water and I used a blue silk moire. It looked like giant waterfalls. It was cool in that space. Not to sure if your family member would like it though.
4 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 8:20AM
Nancy Hehmann
White shutters
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 8:23AM
smlm
I would suggest something a little more dramatic, if you can afford some fabric. You could treat each high/low pair of windows as one very tall window by hanging long panels of fabric on either side from the top to the floor. Choose a fabric similar in color to the walls and it will finish it beautifully. If privacy isn't an issue, just leave the top window uncovered by a shade to let the light in. You'll never get up there to open and close it anyway. Good luck!
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 8:25AM
qwnofhrts
I like floor to ceiling Drapery panels! Definitely makes a statement.
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 8:25AM
Maryann Vecchio
@ Carolina Photo To Go LLC this is the inside of the house & they are a bit more modern for shutters- Thank You
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 8:30AM
Maryann Vecchio
Thank You about the floor to ceiling look- I will share it with them- Thank You again
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 8:34AM
tennisanyone
Floor to ceiling. Just doing the bottom only cuts off the space as you can see in the picture.
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 8:42AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I vote for floor to ceiling drapes too :)
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 8:45AM
stranded
I realise this may be impractical but what about a mezzanine level for a study area with a simple stair case
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 8:54AM
PRO
Yes, I agree, ceiling to floor draperies are beautiful and will make a dramatic statement, but there are several reasons why this may not be a practical/economical option for many homeowners.
Again, if the shades are chosen to match the colour and value of the wall, they will not "cut" anything off visually.
Good luck with your decision!
Caroline :)
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 6:56PM
judianna20
No curtains at all. You have absolutely no room for fabric on either side. If you need privacy, install "pull up from the sill" shades on the bottom two windows. Take the picture down.

Great Room P&D Window Fashions
3 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 7:04PM
PRO
Here's an example with drapes as well as an example with roller/solar shades: Neither is right or wrong...simply depends on function, budget and personal taste.
The second picture is a good visual of what I was trying to describe. The top windows blend beautifully and therefore do not attract attention like the drapes in the first picture.
(Don't forget to paint out your window casings to match he walls as well!)
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 7:53PM
More Discussions
White painted cabinets
We are getting ready to put new white painted cabinets...
to remove load bearing wall b/w kitchen and living room??
sorry for the long-winded post but need some help/suggestions/advice....
Help my ugly little house
I know the landscaping needs help - I plan to go for...
Our new sunroom.
Walls are a light gray with blue tint. Chairs are...
Need urgent help Please
I have to choose a color for my living room, and i...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.