Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Wall Color help needed
Mary Grant Justin
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi, We are in the process or redoing our kitchen and adjoining two rooms. So please excuse the mess... I'm at the point I need to select wall colors which is a bit overwhelming with all the choices out there. My family room furniture is chocolate brown leather, floor thru out these rooms is tumbled travertine, kitchen cabinets are a creamy white with a mahogany/chocolate glaze that match the island. The ceiling, the beams have been antiqued and in-between is a off white. I like earthy tones, brownes, barn red, greens, creams. Something inviting and warm. I'm really not sure how to bring all these rooms where it doesn't look too broken up as they flow together and this is where we spend all our time. The fireplace will be redone and we are going to plaster over the top, find a piece of block barn wood/oak and then not sure yet what kind of stone on the bottom and hearth. So you can see we have a lot going on.... I will post picture in a couple of posts.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Mary Grant Justin
Also, the mantel will be the wood block. Here are a few more pictures. I also have a red hutch that I put against the big wall. I will attach a before picture of that as well.
December 28, 2012 at 8:05am   
Mary Grant Justin
Here is the hutch. It's not quite as bright as the picture makes it look.
December 28, 2012 at 8:06am   
Natalie
Love these hues for your walls. Think warm, muted, and khaki... Accent with a celery green...
Gorgeous home! Good Luck!
[houzz=Eclectic Interiors][houzz=Eclectic Living Room][houzz=Crisp Architects]
December 28, 2012 at 8:06am     
Mary Grant Justin
Forgot the picture....
December 28, 2012 at 8:08am   
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
What a charmer! Natalie is right on -- bring a sample of your countertop and take your entire palate from its many hues. It starts with great character and it will be beautiful.
December 28, 2012 at 8:10am     
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Hi Mary,
I love the character of your home!!!
The colour I'm suggesting is based on the travertine flooring and your kitchen counters & cabinetry. Unfortunately, I can't tell how much natural light or the types of artificial lighting you have in your spaces....therefore I am suggesting a colour with a fairly neutral LRV (light reflectancy value).
I think Stone Harbour by Benjamin Moore, 2111-50 will look amazing in your home!
Good luck, and please let me know how it goes!
Caroline
December 28, 2012 at 8:29am     
PRO
karen paul interiors
You might want to begin with a little pot of Benjamin Moore Candleglow to see if you need to go darker, more pink, more gray or more yellow. This would be a good place to begin.
December 28, 2012 at 8:36am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like the BM candle glow with accent walls in the celery or apple green. Definitely the green behind the red cabinet.
December 28, 2012 at 8:42am   
Kate
Revere Pewter by benjamin moore would look great; soothing and calm without too much contrast.
December 28, 2012 at 9:06am   
cavecay
I would also consider ocean hues and sea glass colors. Your floors are a sand color and you have a palm ceiling fan.... I noticed other nautical (cottage details).
You have a great start!!!!
December 28, 2012 at 9:15am   
decoenthusiaste
Can you post a closeup of the countertop that fills the entire lens? I think I can come up with some suggestions...
December 28, 2012 at 9:24am   
Mary Grant Justin
decoenthusiaste here is a few picture of counter. Thanks
December 28, 2012 at 1:18pm     
Mary Grant Justin
Thank you all for your input. Looking at BM Lenox Tan or Shaker Beige after going to BM store and picking up all the samples colors you have suggested and then some.... Right now leaning towards Shaker Beige then going a shade lighter for hall. As much as I love the greens and really like the camouflage, but because of the way my kitchen/dining/family room are basically one big room I didn't know if bringing two colors in would make it not flow. Was thinking after kitchen is finished using the lenox tan on the small areas of walls in there and then using the Shaker Beige on the rest. What do you all think?
December 28, 2012 at 11:36pm   
December 28, 2012 at 11:43pm   
Natalie
[houzz=
]
December 28, 2012 at 11:57pm     
Jayme H.
I think u are wise to stay with similar tones in open areas. I have seen a lot of open floor plans with vaulted ceilings and they look choppy in my opinion, when different colors are used that do not blend/flow nicely...as in, are in the same color family. I really like the "candle glow".
December 29, 2012 at 12:11am   
mrs1916
I think BM Putnam Ivory would work nicely too.
December 29, 2012 at 5:37am   
cavecay
I like your idea of going with a shade lighter in the hall. You can always add color with a floor rug, pillows, paintings,etc.
December 29, 2012 at 7:08am   
PRO
Here's a visual for the colour I suggested. It's very difficult to choose colours via computer screen, as pigments and pixels do not translate properly. Do I see a hint of violet in your counters and floors? If yes, keep in mind all paints leaning towards the yellow side will make that purple stand out, paints with hints of violet, blue or green will be more harmonious and less dramatic.
December 29, 2012 at 8:25am   
PRO
2111-50
December 29, 2012 at 8:34am     
skeetie219
We have similar preferences in color schemes...and kitchens for that matter. I have use BM peanut shell in our existing home and previous ones....and just love it. We have a cream cabinets w a chocolate & glaze typhoon Bordeaux granite and adjacent family rm. we had it painted the peanut shell.

Also I recently painted our adjacent sunroom a Home Depot behar color called Clifford which came out beautiful...
December 29, 2012 at 8:50am     
PRO
karen paul interiors
Shaker Beige HC-45 by Benjamin Moore This is your Shaker Beige which DOES pick up the red tones of your countertop, however, I'm wondering how it works with the flooring you have throughout. The one color I see in cabinetry, countertop and floor (from what I can tell) is a gray. If you decide to paint a gray then you will want to stick with the ones that have a red undertone rather than the green or blue undertones. SW7029 Agreeable Gray by Sherwin-Williams The Agreeable Gray might be a good place to begin with a warmer gray.There is always the ever popular Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter, another warm gray.Revere Pewter HC-172 by Benjamin Moore
December 29, 2012 at 11:12am     
Mary Grant Justin
Hi all, to answer you question what's in design, no there us no lavender. The floor is different variations if tans and creams. Counter top has creams/tans/mahogany brown/gray. We put the shaker beige on a couple if walls and it looks real nice with the floors. I think tomorrow we will use the lighter color on the hall walls to see the contrast. I may end up using the lighter on the large wall in-between kitchen and family room. Not sure yet. But so far happy with the color choice. We may need to do something different with ceiling but I will post pics later after walls have been painted. Thank you all for you advice. :-)
December 29, 2012 at 9:14pm     
Mary Grant Justin
Sorry for the typos. I'm not real good on my phones keyboard.
December 29, 2012 at 9:20pm   
PRO
:) Good luck and have fun! My neighbour's entire home is painted in Shaker Beige and it's a beautiful and sunny colour!
December 30, 2012 at 7:47am     
Mary Grant Justin
Thank you. We are still painting with the shaker beige. Tomorrow, hopefully we will be applying the lighter shade. There are a few spots I'm not certain as to which color to use so may be asking for your help with that. You all have been so kind and generous with your suggestions and I thank you so much!
December 30, 2012 at 8:42pm   
athtex
Great ideas! Might consider adding some warmth in kitchen w/ a Green = CC-666 Bonsai, 489 Oak Grove, or 2140-30 Dark Olive, or Red= AF-290 Caliente (Benjamin Moore)
December 30, 2012 at 10:46pm   
Mary Grant Justin
Ok, so now we have shaker beige on big wall and wall behind entertainment center. We started to paint the hall shaker beige cut 50% with white on the hall so it's now a lighter version of shaker beige. Looking at the 3 small walls over the back door in kitchen and windows in kitchen I was thinking of going with a green that would look nice with the beige. Any suggestions there. I will be posting pictures as soon as I'm done painting. May take me a bit but I promise to share with all of you. :-) Thanks again to all of you and a Happy New Year!
January 1, 2013 at 2:58pm   
Mary Grant Justin
Maybe even a grayish green.... or a brownish gray....
January 1, 2013 at 3:10pm   
Mary Grant Justin
Nothing to dark. :-)
January 1, 2013 at 3:11pm   
PRO
Alexandria beige is a very subtle and toned green. Worth checking out!
January 1, 2013 at 4:27pm   
decoenthusiaste
Lost you there... see you found the color you like! Look forward to your posting results.
January 1, 2013 at 4:38pm   
Mary Grant Justin
So is it normal to change your mind like 10 times! Painted a sample board with a green color. Decided to go with the lighter shaker beige instead and bring color in with our mural and other decor. Will keep you posted. It's taking a little longer due to holidays...... Thanks again folks.
January 1, 2013 at 5:44pm   
More Discussions
What do I do with this GAUDY Rococo Bedroom Set? Help
So, very good friends of mine moved to the Yucatan....
Need help with Kitchen Cabinets, Countertops and back splash
Hello Everyone! Finally after 3 months of picking a...
Would you take down the front porch?
I don't think the front porch is original and would...
Where do your pets sleep?
We've seen some pretty creative cat beds and dog baskets...
POLL: Tiny Houses - Yes or No?
Do you see tiny houses and long to pitch your belongings...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.