Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living Room color fail
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I've had a good number of houzzers input on this and am uploading more recent photo's of a paint color that didn't make it. Should I take the big leap of Navy for the walls or stick with something much lighter and of the "orange" range and create a more monochromatic scheme?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
A 1/2 tone of that color might look better.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 8:36AM
PRO
Classic Designs by Brook
Go for the bold walls. A wonderful dark grey with blue undertones or a dark blue. Add velvet pillows to the sofas that are in the same bold tone as the new walls and an oversized rug that completments the new color, the orange and the cream.
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 8:55AM
groveraxle
I think your wood furniture are making the room look blah, and that wall color does nothing for the sofas. Here's a look that punches everything up a notch:

Light colored distressed furniture and bold artwork against a neutral wall and a rug in a complementary blue.
3 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 9:07AM
groveraxle
A monochromatic look is also nice:

4 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 9:09AM
decoenthusiaste
Pick a solid wall (no doors or windows) and make it an accent with the navy. Live with it and decide if you can handle having it on all four. I would prefer it as an accent, myself. Suggested some colors on your other post that will work, and a shade of blue that works with them.
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 9:18AM
3 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 10:03AM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
These are fabulous suggestions. I know the tables are passe but they're practically "heirlooms" and parting with them or re-purposing them can't be done just now. Your call on that was right on, though. I agree.

I want to thank Monica for the pix!!!!!!!!!!! I have long been leaning toward the "LR transformation" color and seeing it with the white carpet and ceiling bumps me along! Grovers pic is good, too but resembles what I have just too much but can be fine tuned to take it that direction.

I just have to take the leap... and I will. Thank you for the great suggestions. The old pix got lot's of wonderful suggestions, but these pretty much nail it. This will be a completely "new year" in my wonderful new living room! I'll follow up with you when it's done and ready to show. Thanks much!
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 12:02PM
charleee
When you're able to re-purpose you wood furniture, try dip-dye: [houzz=
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 12:37PM
janishill
Have you thought about using a a green? This one would look fabulous with yoru furniture: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/shadesofspring

A couple of other tweaks:
1) Bring the chair more into the room, so if someone were sitting in it they would feel like they were part of the conversation
2) Trade the fake plant on the coffee table for books (or something interesting that anyone sitting on the loveseat might want to pick up and look at.)
3) Move the throw off the floor and fold it over the right arm or over the right hand side back of the sofa
4) Put the plaid throw pillow on the loveseat with one of the other pillows to bring the color from the picture behind the sofa across the room.
5) Swap the places of the topiary and the lamp that are on top of the amoire.
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 1:27PM
PRO
Maria Killam
Because your carpet is pink beige, I agree with going dark as well! http://www.mariakillam.com/2012/10/how-to-disappear-a-bad-beige.html
Also it might be nice to repeat the navy in an area rug to really pull the room together.
Maria
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 1:40PM
janishill
Maria Killam...the dots that float across your page are very annoying. They remind me of what I saw when I was having a stroke.

Oh...and beige is NOT bad. It is a nice neutral.
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 2:53PM
Natalie
No blue---will only intensify the orange/coral hues...
Chelsea Gray by Ben Moore for walls. A rug to combine the colors and you're set. :) Good Luck!
[houzz=
]http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/clearancerugs/rugs-usa-floral-vine/brown/200OTSD04A-508.html
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 4:27PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
I really like all those ideas. I've actually just ifnished re-arranging the entire room to get a different perspective on my "issues". In addition, I cleaned my camera lense as well (sorry about that!). It's more boring than before but getting a fresh perspective should shed some light on things. You've all been amazing!
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 4:37PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
Janis! I would have NEVER done what you suggested. I was SO over those plaid pillows. That's why I had my Aunt make me the slightly smaller, more red-orange colored ones. I'd been trying to give the plais ones away and no one wanted them! That's why I tucked them down beside the sofa in the pix. You saw them!

I went straight to them after I re-arranged the room and read your post ans shoved them in amonst the red ones (just to prove you wrong) and I was SHOCKED! They look A-FREAKIN-MAZING!!!!!!!! I pulled the throw up off the floor and couldn't believe my eyes! I'm in LOVE with my "new" room. The color doesn't even look so bad after-all (but it WILL be re-painted after New Years).

I am STUNNED to see that those plaid pillowsworked the way they did! Thank you, thank you. If I could send you an updated pic I would. (Hate to bore everyone!) I'm absolutely stunned at the improvement. Thans again!
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 5:28PM
Natalie
LOL! The plaid pillow is what I looked at for inspiration. Upload pics when you get a chance. :)
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 5:34PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
Well, Natalie! I'm learning that this site is very powerful. The ideas others have when you can't see the accessories that are laying smack in front of you. The pillows had been custom made FOR the painting and sofas, but i thought it time to change them out. Now that they're paired with my new one's............ I'm shocked at what they do for the space.

Your "NO BLUE" kind of bothered me, but to be honest, If I'm to use "the plaids", the blue would definitely be out. Believe me. I'm listening! I just couldn't get anywhere on my own. I had posted another thread about my orange sofas and got lot's of nice ideas, but this updated thread has done wonders. You guys are tops! I'm ever so grateful. Thanks.
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 6:06PM
olldroo
Glad you put the plaid cushions back, I liked them. If I can be really blunt, Greg, without being mean, your room reminds me of the desert - hot, dry, dusty, and seeing Monica's photos the greys in the fourth and fifth photos totally transform that look. I would be adding some tall, lush plants or some palm trees. This is a bit over the top, but you can see the difference

[houzz=
]
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 7:44PM
janishill
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy so glad you tried it before tossing them.

Here's a suggestion; buy sample pots of paint, paint foam board or cardboard in the 2 or 3 colors you are thinking of using (try the green I posted earlier - Shades of Spring) then place them in the room. Look at them for a few days at different times of day, move them arounf some and weed them down to the one that works best.

Personally I don't like grey walls with beige carpet, but i have seen it work.

Please post pictures as you do things. It inspires us to keep making suggestions! :-)
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 7:56PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
That's nice, but I would N-E-V-E-R use Gray for anything but a headstone. Seriously! I DESPISE the color. Plants in the Desert require high maintenance, something else I'm not at all fond of. They also bring unwanted bugs into our homes. Absolutely not a piece of this puzzle, noway, no how. Sorry. This is more a Florida thing than Arizona. We have ZERO humidity and plants require moisture.

Another poster suggested I lose the plant on the coffee table... and I DID! No plants and NO GRAY. It's easy care, on-the-go life here and I drive two red cars and refuse to buy them if they have gray interiors! That should tell you something. But as always,thanks. Greg
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 7:59PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
New pix tomorrow during daylight and you'll all be pleased to know how happy you've made me. Night.
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 8:03PM
olldroo
You are one funny guy Greg, I must admit grey is not my colour either but it did look good in those photos. Sadly it takes time for personalities to emerge over the net. You are so lucky not having humidity, it would mean regular misting of the plants and in my language W-O-R-K is a 4-letter word.

Look forward to more photos tomorrow. Sleep tight.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 8:45PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
I stayed up a little late toadd and subtract items for pix to be uploaded after sun-up. Now everyone knows everything they need to about me... I HATE GRAY! As a professional painter, I adjust my approach to customers and do pretty much as they ask with the exception that if I think it will be a disaster, I then refuse. If a customer prefers Gray, it's a done deal but DO NOT bring Gray of any tint, hue, value... SKIP THE GRAY AT HOME! lol.

I can walk into a country decor and love it just as well as I do walking into retro or modern or... But when I return home, it has to be Traditional. As long as a decor is done tastefully I love it! (But then I try to give it my own twist, sometimes without them realizing it!) Suns coming up. Gotta finish breakfast and post new pix. (Hope no one hates them.) If you're ever in the Sattes, Ollie, come on over!! Happy New Year to all, no matter the time of day.
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 7:14AM
Natalie
Greg you're hilarious!
I totally get you about the gray, not my favorite color either, BUT when paired with "warm" colors such as your orange, bronze, and corals, that Chelsea Gray looks more of a deep muted green/blue than cold stark gray... :) OK, off my soapbox now, looking forward to seeing your updates. CheerS!

[houzz=
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 9:21AM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
I can so enjoy every idea and input that comes down the pike!!! Seriously can! When I think if Gray, I tend to think "Modern". If I paired Gray with Black, Silver, White... SMASHING... right? Gorgeous. I see it as "chilly" and/or high-tech (neither of which gets me revved up). I enjoy the fact that my Desert colors evoke a sense of "heat, dust and dirt"... that's prety much where I'm at. I don't have (or want) a New England tree farm and I don't have a river running with white caps outside so the whites and silver grays of the north-east coats truly don't fit into my way of life. They're there for those who love and enjoy them. I happen to LOVE our Desert way of life and I bask in it. GO GRAY! (Go FAR, FAR away! LOL!) I'm crazy today.

LR rearranged attached. It's going to remain a work in progress until sometime in early 2013. Thx!
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:03AM
janishill
Gray is depressing; no matter what shade. And the idea that beige and gray match is way off base. Yes, they can work together, but they do not match.

Greg, I found your other thread. no wonder you hated the plaid pillows. When they are just out there on their on they do look a bit...how can I say this...ugly. But when paired with other colors they are muted. And if only 1 or 2 are used then they are great accent pieces.

So some other changes I would like to see are:

1) Remove the picture that is to the right of the amoire. It seems to have a Spanish element and doesn't work very well in your room.
2) Move the poppy picture to that space.
3) Hang the mirror over the sofa, but only up about 4" . Currently it is hanging too high.
4) Move the magazine rack to the right hand side of the loveseat; under the redaing lamp.
5) Reaccessorize the coffee table (see attached photos for examples)

I would like to see you remove all the little accessories, then start over bringing them in the room one at a time and placing them. I like the candle holders on the coffee table, but think they might work better some where else. Perhaps on the dining table?

Would like to see that side of the room as well.

Oh..and what little I can see of the window (reflected in the mirror) I am going to suggest you hang the drapes high and wide to make the most of the light. See attached illustration.

Anyway...waiting for those new photos!
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:10AM
collettec
In seeing your entire room, I think you need a cool color for contrast, either a blue or green - given that a gray is definitely out!
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:19AM
PRO
Lisa Lucas Design
Doing design by photos is tough when you are not in the space to see the true colors and how the spaces flow visually. Hire a designer for a consultation. It will save you time and money in the end.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:24AM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
Janis! You're killin me here. The pix you see with the mirror over the sofa are the OLD ones. The mirror is now over the DR table as in these current set of pix above in this thread. I removed the plant on the coffee table as suggested and placed reading books instead. The drapes are actually only about 4" from the ceiling where they currently hang and we keep them at the ready for those intensely HOT days we so often get. If I were to spread them out across the window, would defeat their purpose. Remember... this is a Desert! Large, uncovered windows tend to get HOT.

Also, instead of moving the picture that was to the right of the armoire, I moved the armoire. The reason being, that is a very valuable lithograph and where it's placed in the room, it doesn't show. The lesser of two evils, I guess. It has to be there, but you don't have to look at it. As for Spanish influences... again- we're in the Desert South West. (Mexico? Spain? Spanish??) This is fun, though and I'm absolutely CERTAIN everyone is helping the best they could ever hope to!!!!!!!!!

The green or blue idea remains in the mix for another day yet to come.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:40AM
janishill
Greg...seems you and I posted back to back. The new arrangement pics weren't up when I hit the submit button! :-)

The room looks great just hte way it is; warm and inviting. The only change I would make it getting the greenery out of that beautiful vase to the right of the (loveseat) and get teh throw off the fllor. OH and bring the dog back!

Somehow I had missed that you were in the desert. Thought you were in Flordia! My bad.

Anyway...you've done a great job!
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 4:15PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
We're having some fun. I enjoy your input so much. I've taken some of your hints and liked what they did for me. This room is just mildly passable, but it is what it is. That "vase" is a hoot. A real fooler. It's actually two halves that hang flat on a wall. I got them from Bombay Co before they went out of business. After I got tired of them, I placed them back-to-back as if they were a vase. lol. You've helped me a great deal and I thank you. One day I'll get the time to do the painting. I-i-i-i-'l be B-A-C-K! Happy New Year everyone!!
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 4:36PM
malese
Navy!
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 4:42PM
kafka65
Hi, I personally would have gone for grey - love the color! But see what you say about being a traditionalist and wanted to play with that. What about inserting a dado-rail and then going for more brown-ish color and color that picks up on your current scheme? Played with it on Sherwin's tool and came up with this.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 5:35PM
olldroo
Greg, I can't believe the difference that vase of greenery made. It is just what the room needed to add some life it to and why I suggested the plants (understand why you aren't going there). Not looking at the vase, I'm sure you have others to change out from time to time.

Now I see the whole room, overall, and without studying every little thing, I like it. I'm sure you will tweak it more as you live with it. The blue walls are still an option to me but only time will tell what you decide. Good luck. Happy New Year.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 6:05PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
That's cool that gray is an ever popular color for so many! There's no denying how gorgeous it is. I have to be honest with all the houzzers. The exterior of my house is deep gray. THERE! I said it!! lol. It's a Benny Moore color that looks mostly dark Gray bit at times it appears to have a greenish cast to it and at others a strong tan influence. It's amazing! But ut's a stucco house and as such, looks sort of the way stucco does when it's wet. I went all crazy and did the trim in dark Turquoise! It's ROCKIN! So Gray is undeniably hot.

It's odd to me how "gold" the walls appear. Evidently, they're more gold than I see them here at home. I need to tackle that. It was cool how someone mentioned "Bronze" because the sofa's have a real "Bronze" appearance in "real life". I think that's why deep blue intrigues me so. I have catalogued some great suggestions and earmarked a few colors in my Benny Moore deck. Taking it slow. Next time I'll nail it, but only with everyone's input and help. I feel so empowered now. Thx everyone!
2 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 6:13PM
collettec
Aha! Figured you were hiding some gray somewhere that you wouldn't admit to! I can see it being a work overload thing though!
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 7:38AM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
I'm someone who has gray in the closet! lol. Can't hide my Gray very well. Hey, it's something very unusual for me and an unexpected "take myself out of my comfort zone" sort of thing. I was reaching!! It's very unusual here in the Desert to have gray and I get TONS of compliments on it, probably for that reason. It's tan, brown, beige and white, coral and pink out here and my Gray makes a huge statement. But thank you for noticing!! Gray is not just for closets, you know! lol.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:02AM
janishill
Post pictures. We would love to see the exterior!
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 10:18AM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
So it's come to this! You guys are a kick in the head! What a fun way to end the old year... exposing my "shades of Gray" persuasions. lol. Here ya go. I asked for it! Everyone enjoy. Don't tell me how much you hate it!!!! Having some ral fun. Take care.
3 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 11:48AM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
Funny how I managed to combine the Gray I hate with the "blue" I'm afraid of... and LOVE it. OMGSH.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 2:01PM
tgrdnr
Color block the wall behind the sofa navy and orange, and add thick white molding between the blocks to really make it POP (I like the orange blue and white idea from your previous thread). The white molding will help make the space look formal. Use navy and white pillows on the couch and pair the rest of the walls with the top Hal white and the bottom Hal navy (again with the trim in between). This will make the color blocked wall look like an accent wall, but also make it so the other wall isn't pure white either--which would look bland and unfinished.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:58PM
Sunday
Greg, gorgeous, what color is the body color called and by whom? I am painting a Hardie PLank new construction house in the next two weeks. I think I am gonna use SW "Functional Gray".
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:33PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
Wow. That's a really sweet compliment and I VERY much appreciate it!!! Funny story behind making that my color of choise, but boils down to using what I had on hand! I've since repainted it twice using the very same scheme. I love it! It's a Benny Moore color called Briarwood Beige, an Historic Color (HC). It changes in the light, so if you (or your structure) can't handle the "movement", be aware that it can sometimes take on either a green or tan twist. Thanks for the compliment. I find that SW colors tend to go Gray no matter the mix whereas BM colors have more "clarity" to them. If "GRay" is what you're going for, all the better, right? Only thing, they tend to be darker than BM. Good luck! (What's your trim and/or accent colors??)
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:50PM
Sunday
Grey, my trim is gonna be SW Pure white, because my porch railings are gonna be Trex white, so that was closer to it. I want a Gray but not blue or green gray, the neighborhood has lots of blue and green homes, and the house being built next to mine is Taupe, so I need more gray than beige. I will attach pic of house that is unpainted.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 7:17PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
Your call. Take the roof color into consideration and move ahead. Can you use pops of yellow just to make others envious?? I'd like to combine your Gray and white with strong value yellow.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 7:39PM
Sunday
The yellow that is there now is the Hardie Plank, but I was thinking a yellow front door. I will post pics after it is painted. Please look up SW 7024 "Functional gray" and help me find a yellow for the front door.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 7:48PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
Choral and brown are both other options that highlight Gray nicely with a twist on conventional thought. Heading to bed. Night.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 8:05PM
olldroo
momoffiddlegirl - I see you are from Texas so would your area be very hot? If so I think I would like a lighter colour than Functional Grey to give the house a fresh, clean, cooler look.

Consider [houzz=Overlooking the ocean]

I also like a lighter shade of the Functional Grey called 7022 Alpaca. You can be as brave with the yellow as you like as long as you keep it a clean yellow. Hard to tell on computer but something like Daisy or Forsythia.

I also like this idea of using a darker grey as a feature, on the roof line and windows, maybe even the porch posts.

[houzz=Historic Victorian Exterior]

Have you tried the SW Colour Visualiser? Upload you photo and play around with it until you get a look you like.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:32PM
ManLand LandMan
That and to much is going on! 2 Lamps plus the decor. : (
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:37PM
Sunday
I am Texas born and bred, I currently live in West Texas, city is Lubbock. My roof is mid gray shades 3d, the HOA I am building in is very strict and every thing has to be approved. I might think of going say 60% of Functional gray. Will get a sample made this weekend and try it out with roof and the brick that is going around the porch will be variable shades of taupe/ gray/brown. I will try the SW visualizer thing now. Thank you.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:44PM
olldroo
These HOA's sort of take the edge of being creative don't they!!! Hope you will be able to get lots of greenery happening to take the starkness off the neighbourhood, although new estates are like that for a while. Good luck.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 8:49PM
Sunday
Will post pics once it is painted and yard is in. Also the house sits on a park, no street in front of the house. the porch steps land on the sidewalk going around the greenspace. Six house face the park on each side.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:59PM
olldroo
Sounds lovely and a great place for kids to play. Looking forward to seeing pics and the view of the park.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 9:02PM