Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What type of window covering
shpp
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Please help someone! Need drapery or matchstick type or roll up blind.(This
blind must be attached to ceiling of bay window as there's vinyl around each window). Any drape suggestions providing privacy at night which fold very flat when opened are appreciated. Have dark, creamy tannish walls, light and dark turquoise rug and accents in living room). What color would you go with for the drapes or blinds? Where can you purchase inexpensive window coverings?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
There are vertical blinds that are similar to silhouettes that can go on a curved track mounted to the ceiling. These are not inexpensive though. I do not know the cost or name but just contact a local Hunter Douglas dealer.
December 28, 2012 at 8:51AM     
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
You have two other options. You can mount your window treatments on the wall of the main room outside the bay. It's not a very deep window and the angles are not very steep, so you would be fine with an outside mount. OR you could install a custom bent rod with ceiling fasteners which will allow you to do an inside drapery treatment. I think the second option would be awkward because it would cut the proportions of the window and you'd lose height here.

If your window were more angled, you could install a series of ceiling mounted sleek little cellulars which have very small cartridges and will line up nicely, but still I think that having five of them lined up would be too much.

Ideally, I think you could have a decorative rod that goes across the whole window and supports long lined panels on either side. They'd need to be full enough to cover the window when you need privacy. Under the decorative rod, you could have a custom valance that comes down to the height of the top of the bay. I have done a similar style with a pleated valance on a flat window (not a bay) but you can see what I mean (below).
December 28, 2012 at 8:55AM     
Nancy Hehmann
JCPenney.com has a wide selection of window coverings. Usually easier than trying to find sizes you need at a store.
December 28, 2012 at 8:56AM     
patty526
Plantation shutters, especially if you open the windows.They are cranked? If you use them, shutters won't affect air flow. Mount a center and 2 pair.
December 28, 2012 at 9:45AM   
PRO
JMittman Designs
What is this room? A living room? How is the room used? What is the size of the room? Looks like you might have traditional furniture? Looks like you can do roman shades in those windows. I'd pick up an accent color from the rug. A window like that will not be inexpensive to cover.
December 28, 2012 at 12:02PM   
charleee
There was an ideabook written by Shane Inman that addresses all sorts of curtain hanging problems. This one looks most like yours, I don't see why the rods pictured couldn't be hung from the ceiling: [houzz=Lake House]

If you're interested in seeing the entire ideabook, here's a link: Ideabook: Learn the Lingo of Drapery Rods and Accessories
December 28, 2012 at 12:30PM   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I would not recommend trying shutters in these windows for a number of reasons, not least of all is expense. Frames would have to be built into the space to support the hinges and this would be a challenging and awkward job. Most of all, I would not do this because there is a beautiful view outside, and if you were to put shutters on it, you would lose nearly all of it due to the width of the support frames as well as the frames on each shutter and the vanes. You'd lose more than half of your view even if shutters were achievable.

Romans would have to be five individual shades because of the curve of the window, and they would be small and leave gaps between them due to technical reasons in the way they are constructed. They would also cut down on the view because they will only stack up to one fold, which could be at least six to eight inches. Putting something at the top of each pane is only going to make the window look squatty.

Far better to mount a treatment on the outside of this shallow bay. It will be easier to do, and it will give you the look and performance that's going to give you the best result.

I don't think any ideal situation is going to be inexpensive. However, the benefits in functionality, and in the beauty that professional window coverings will add to the space, should be viewed as a good investment for the long term.
December 28, 2012 at 5:06PM   
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
You have a lovely view from this window!
Because the curve is not severe, you could ceiling mount one continuous relaxed roman shade, with stringing at the bends. I think if this was done in a sheer fabric it would look great.It would probably be pulled up most of the time. Also as others have said, outside mounted floor to ceiling panels on the inside wall, that can be pulled to close. These options will be expensive.
Alternatively, I think you could get away with 5 duette type shades on a slim headrail, as they stack up to nothing. This would be the least expensive option.
December 28, 2012 at 7:21PM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would stay away from shutters as they will completely ruin the ability to open the windows all of the way.

I would recommend using Cellular Shades top down bottom up either motorized or cordless. The narrow depth of the head rail will allow it to sit tight in the windows. They are available room darkening or light filtering. I would then complement them with drapery panels.
http://blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/cellular-shades.html
December 29, 2012 at 3:19PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.