Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with corner window seat
eudaimonia
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Our master bedroom has a corner window seat, and I need help designing it. I'm not sure what sort of pattern would work best. Our walls are Valspar Woodlawn Sterling Blue, and there are accents of tan (like the curtains), white, cream, and grayish blue. I'm also not sure if I should keep the blinds or do bamboo shades. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
bamboo shades would look great although I dont think it is necessary. It would also look nice to add a custom cushion to the seat. a fabric will just soften up the corner and maybe a small throw pillow. the drapes look great though.
December 28, 2012 at 9:55AM   
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I think that your drapes cut the corner of the room off and would make it look smaller. I would remove them, particularly since all of the hardware showing is not usable. I would do something simple such as the attached shades but in your colors.

I would have a seat made for the corner seat and some pillows. Tie all of the fabrics together complimenting what you already have.

[houzz=
]
December 28, 2012 at 10:09AM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Loose the drapes. The shades are fine. Have cushion made for seat in a solid and mix colorful throw pillows in multiple patterns
December 28, 2012 at 10:12AM     
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I agree that the blinds you have are fine. Definitely add a custom cushion to turn this corner into a seating area. It gives your corner a function. I would look for ways to add pattern and texture - either in the cushion fabric or throw pillows or even in your drapes. Enjoy!

December 28, 2012 at 10:30AM     
mpoulsom
i would do plantation shutters and put some beautiful potted plants in that seat area!
December 28, 2012 at 10:47AM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I agree with mpoulsom that shutters would be great. And I wouldn't feel compelled to put a cushion in the window. A stack of cocktail table books would be nice, along with perhaps a candelabra.
December 28, 2012 at 10:54AM     
decoenthusiaste
If it were in a kitchen I'd think #1 would be great, but for a master, maybe something more refined. I'd think about having a mirror custom cut for it and setting a wonderful asparagus or maidenhair fern, orchid or other favorite plant on it to be doubled by the reflection. The curtain rods certainly seem redundant. Consider a fabric cornice over plantation shutters.
Portola Valley residence
Wellesley Master Bedroom
R-E-S-P-E-C-T study
Cottage 52 Foyer & Stair Hall
December 28, 2012 at 11:42AM   
PRO
JMittman Designs
I can't see what is going on in the corner--do you have two finials butting each other? Or is there a corner elbow there? It just looks a little busy. But it sounds like the curtains are staying? This window seat is unusual. Is there storage under it? Do you have another picture showing all of the draperies?
I would rather see a continuous valance--meeting in the corner--I don't like seeing the tops of shade hardware alone. Then a couple toss pillows and a textured throw. Cushions are great, but I wouldn't spend the money on a custom cushion you won't actually sit on. :)
December 28, 2012 at 12:14PM   
judianna20
I agree that the panels overwhelm that corner. Some beautiful plantation shutters and a lush plant would look beautiful. Accordining to this article a plant in the bedroom improves air quality :>)
http://www.mnn.com/health/healthy-spaces/photos/15-houseplants-for-improving-indoor-air-quality/a-breath-of-fresh-air
December 28, 2012 at 12:20PM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Yes, Judy is right, a plant would be fine there, and with plenty of light from the windows!
December 28, 2012 at 6:42PM   
PRO
Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
Keep the white blinds. I would change out the drapes with a soft print in blue, white and tan. The, on the window seat make a triangular bench cushion and accent with 3 different sized accent pillows. Go to John Robshaw for prints-small print on the seat cushion, largest scale print on the drapes. Your palette: indigo blue, light blue, brown, white. For more tips on design you can go to my website and read my blog: Lauren's Style Library
www.ljacobsendesign.com
December 28, 2012 at 7:38PM   
Kevin Neel
as they are, your curtains are too long to even close to the corner (they'll hit the seat), but surely you know that. definitely add a custom cushion and an accent pillow, but the panels look fine, just hemmed shorter.
December 28, 2012 at 9:48PM   
Peg Silverwood
Shutters would be beautiful. Instead of using it as seating. How about two large Candle sticks and some beautiful books layered. Take the drapes down and add a chair to the right of the window. Something in a smaller scale.
December 28, 2012 at 11:04PM