Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
small living room layout
jdh2012
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Recently moved from an open layout to a older home and having trouble fitting everything. We are likely going to purchase new furniture (except the tv cabinet) but need help with what to get because of the layout.

I'd love to have something more conversational that best utilizes the small space (but tv does need to be there as well). 2 smaller sofas with table in the middle? sofa and 2 chairs? It is tricky bc there are windows on 2 sides of the room and doorways on the other 2 (none can be blocked) any ideas on the best way to lay out the room would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Two swivel chairs and a single sofa will allow much more flexibility in arranging your space. The corner TV cabinet will be the hindrance to any arrangement. I would suggest selling it on Craigslist and mounting the TV on the wall where the sofa is with a credenza below it. Float the sofaf about 12-18" in front of the double window. The swivels can flanking it, facing each other, or optionally flanking the single window. Would want a round glass coffee table to increase the sense of spaciousness and ease the visual rectangles that dominate the room. Like your matchstick blinds but would install two stationary drapery panels hung floor to ceiling at each window opening (4 panels total.) This would be the place to add some pattern and color.
Living room
MacDougal Manor
Jolie Swivel Chair, Vance Bermuda
Cody Swivel Chair
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 10:26AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I'm not sure why your two chairs are so far to the left end of the wall where they're located. I don't mind the arrangement you have, though I could tell a lot more if you showed us a sketch of the room with dimensions, marking doorways and window locations and sizes.

I definitely agree with deco that you should have one sofa and two chairs. The size of each of those items would be determined by the room dimensions. Some sofas have become extra deep and life will be easier for you if you don't go for that style of sofa. So please share your dimensions and we'll give you more specific advice.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 10:41AM
Karen Emmons
I would put the couch with the coffee table where the chairs are. I then would position on chair on each side of the room in front of it. The large ottoman, I would place into another room? Possibly the foot of your bed?
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 10:49AM
jdh2012
Thanks! The room is a little over 13 x 15 - the double window is on the larger wall, single window on the smaller wall. One doorway in the middle of the other smaller wall and doorway all the way to the left of the larger wall. It felt a lot bigger before I got my furniture in there!
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 1:17PM
Karen Emmons
I don't think the feeling you are having is from to much furniture, it may be the large rug that makes it feel smaller.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 1:21PM
PRO
Simplicity Sofas
Two small sofas should help make the room feel less cluttered than one sofa and two chairs. The problem is finding "small-scale" sofas that will fit. For that you might want to look at a Simplicity Sofas, a manufacturer specializing in Furniture For Small Spaces that sells direct to the public. They have a good selection of custom-built sofas in 66" and 68" sizes (as well as larger sizes) that might work well in your room.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:05AM