Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with pendant lights!!
pattyboone
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
The kitchen island is 9.5' by 4.5'. There is plenty of light in the kitchen so we are looking for decorative pendant lights. We are thinking of using 2 Kaplan Mercury glass pendants from Pottery Barn. The dimension of these are w: 11.5" and h: 17.5". Is this a good size for the island? Thanks!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
pattyboone
These are the pendants.
December 28, 2012 at 10:36am   
nrb263
I would personally go with three lights as your island is fairly long (9.5'). I looked at the photos on the Pottery Barn website and I feel that these lights are too large to put in the kitchen but that's my personal opinion. Maybe try going to a store to find a light similar in size so you can see how the proportions feel in real life. The light is beautiful though!
December 28, 2012 at 10:53am     
zenhome
You have a large island and could definitely get away with the larger pendants. Using these pendants, I would go with two instead of three.

Love your kitchen - stunning!
December 28, 2012 at 12:34pm     
PRO
Luminosus Designs LLC
I like installing three pendants as well. Besides aesthetically more pleasing, the middle pendant would provide task lighting over the sink which is very important for a functional kitchen. As beautiful as these pendants are, their dimension is tad large for installing three. Perhaps a smaller version would work better?
December 28, 2012 at 1:19pm     
zenhome
Lots of designers like to follow the rule of three, and luminous designs has made some good points. However, I think you have your heart set on these pendants. Two over the island will give you enough light over the sink considering they are a substantial size. I would go with the lights you've chosen, as two large pendants will give the same amount of light as three smaller pendants.

Good luck!
December 28, 2012 at 1:25pm     
Darzy
I like the size and shape of these. It mimics the arch and has an antique mercury finish with a modern edge.

December 28, 2012 at 1:32pm