Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bathroom & office nook layout help
sebagolizzy
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are swapping the location of the bathroom and storage/study off of our bedroom to create a larger master bath and study area more accessible to the main living area. The bathroom should have ample floor space (roughly 10'x8') and office nook will be approx 7.5'x8'. Suggestions, especially for the bathroom are welcome.

Key facts. The beam in the attached photos cannot be moved. The ceiling is 6'8" at one end and 7'10" at the other end of the new bathroom space which might cause the bathroom to seem cave like at one end. We can add skylights and I have attached a photo of skylights in the kitchen. Note the ceiling depth - that can't be changed either. The house is being resided so windows can be relocated or added.

Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
You might gain enough space for a tall linen cabinet by using a corner wall-hung sink. A wall hung cabinet between window and shower and even a second one between toilet and corner sink. Don't know your style of furnishings, but I prefer wall hung, even toilets, so you can really clean the bathroom floors and it seems more spacious, visually. Search the box above for linen cabinet under Products for more styles.
American Standard Minette 0451001 Wall Mount Corner Bathroom Sink
Elizabethan Classics ETCBBI English Turn Corner Basin Bath Sink in Bisque
Wall Mount Linen Cabinet
Saniflo Sanistar
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 12:35PM
sebagolizzy
I like the idea of the walmount toilet. Thanks. Not sure we could do that with the sink because we do need counter space. I am most concerned about how to position a walk-in shower in the low corner of the bathroom and how to space skylights overhead. Do the skylights have to line up in some way with the shower or other fixtures?
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 1:27PM
decoenthusiaste
Are you working with the previously installed plumbing? Could your switch the toilet and shower? If you were designing from scratch, you might want the skylights aligned with the shower, but in your case I'd be happy if I could get a large one in the center of the space. If there is room for two, I'd want one of them to illumine the shower. Search the box above under Photos for open shower. You might see a way to make this work without installing a pre-fab shower.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 1:36PM
sebagolizzy
In the attachments I provided the last one is a sketch of how we might arrange the new space. The shower can't be on the right edge of the room due to the beam being too low. The bottom of the beam is about 6'1" and clearly too low to run through a shower. We are a tall family, but even for others a problem I'm sure. All of the plumbing can be redone, we think, so we are assuming we can layout the new space any way we prefer. We are planning on a custom built shower to fit the space, and a single sink vanity of about 5' - it's worked for us for 20 years and we know we don't need a double sink.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 4:59PM