Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Backsplash treatment for wall behind sink
Dee
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am almost done with a kitchen update and would appreciate ideas on how to treat the wall behind the sink.

We left the original cabinets in place, they end to the right of the sink, the wall to the left of the sink angles at the end of the breakfast bar. The backsplash will end where the wall angles.

I've chosen a mosaic (glass and travertine). Do I continue the backsplash so it will be in line with that under the cabinets and edge with a pencil tile, bring it higher behind the sink again edging with pencil, add shelving?

Thoughts, please.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Is it not an option to take it all the way around the corner to behind the fruit stand and end it there?
December 28, 2012 at 1:59PM   
PRO
On the Spot Furniture Revival llc
Perhaps you could add a cabinet with open angled shelving at the end? A good refinisher can address the seam that would be caused by the installation of additional crown moulding.
December 28, 2012 at 3:56PM   
judianna20
Whatever you do, do it to the entire wall. Your cabinets are too low. Remove them, do what ever needs to be done to the wall and rehang them. One idea is a water resistant wallpaper. Then, over the sink, add an interesting shelf. http://www.whatisblik.com/shop/explore/herringbone-pattern-wall-tiles
Circle Shelf
Industrial Pipe Shelf
December 28, 2012 at 4:10PM     
Dee
Standard for bottom of cabinets is 54" from floor / 18" from counter - that is exactly what we have so we will not be moving the cabinets.
December 28, 2012 at 5:01PM   
lessismoore
Hi could you post a link to the mosaic tile you've chosen? At this point I like the idea of bringing it up higher (mid point of cabinet) and adding some open shelving above, tying it in to the existing cabinetry. On your angle wall, I see a nice big print.
December 28, 2012 at 5:59PM     
December 28, 2012 at 6:10PM   
PRO
LM Designers
I would continue it level with the bottom of the cabinets around the corner stopping at the end of the bar. Cap it off with a pencil only if the edge alone looks bad. Some look like they have finished ends already and this will save money, the pencils are expensive. Put something great above the tile where the sink is.
December 28, 2012 at 6:10PM   
lessismoore
Here are some comparisons to help you decide where to take it ...
December 28, 2012 at 11:29PM   
Natalie
Hi---I'd tile the entire wall. :)
December 29, 2012 at 12:02AM   
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I think I would keep the backsplash even in height and end at the corner. I like the idea of an interesting shelf. When you consider how often you will be standing at the sink, treat yourself by having something nice to look at- perhaps a collection of favourite objects, memorable photos, or make a "faux window" using an old wooden window and a background scene. Have fun!)
December 29, 2012 at 1:33AM   
Dee
Thank you all. I so like the idea of shelves and although continuing the backsplash to midpoint ofthe cabinet did not seem appealing after seeing Lessismore's rendering that is what I will do.
December 29, 2012 at 4:22AM     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.