Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with this stair save
cassie188
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Narrow stair space 2 doors at the top one single light. Door at the bottom. Any help appreciated
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
collettec
Not sure what you're asking in terms of the stairs. Do you want to convert it into one door on the top? suggestions for how it looks? What would you like specifically in terms of suggestions?
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 3:40PM
houssaon
Can the door to the side be eliminated?
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 3:51PM
PRO
Linda
Are you asking how to change the appearance of the space or physically changing the stairs themselves?
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 3:57PM
PRO
Penwork Design
That door to the side does not look code-compliant - you need a landing and it looks like the door extends beyond the landing. No matter what you do you should address that. Several ideas off the top of my head since am not sure what you really want to do: a) move door at bottom of stairs to create "entryway" into room - creates bottom landing, feeling of space, more privacy if lower room is bedroom. If it's not a bedroom (eg family room) remove door entirely. b) See if you can raise the opening at bottom by removing lintel wall above stairs. If not (don't know what style you like) put open book/display shelf above opening or hang interesting art piece or 3D object. c) Paint walls and ceiling one colour to give illusion of more space, add texture to ceiling with paneling before painting if you like; add trim and paint it the same colour d) create illusion of height with vertical strips on walls if you prefer but it may make the walls close in e) horizontal paneling in a contemporary style might open up the narrow opening by making it appear longer f) refinish the wooden stairs: sand and stain or sand and paint; if you paint, add a stair runner that leaves +- 2" on either side for additional safety if you like g) hang vignette of framed family pics or other pics above handrail or one large unframed canvas transfer-type piece there (don't hang on other wall, because you need as much width as you can get).... there is a lot you can do depending on what you're aiming for, but mostly you want to create an illusion of width and height, and address the code/safety issues around stairs.
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 4:23PM
cassie188
Sorry I should have explained a little more. Firstly I am in the UK so the codes are different. The doors go into 2 bedrooms so cannot really be changed. I would like ideas on flooring lighting and colour. And does anyone think that if I use plain white I could put a large bright picture on the wall.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 4:48PM
PRO
Penwork Design
if it were me I would go bright white (matt/flat) with a large bright something on wall. My style is unframed for a casual, more modern take abd pair it with refinished stairs. A nicer handrail would be a good idea. I would check your codes re doors onto landings... I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same in the UK (I lived there for almost 2 years) because it's a safety issue.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 4:55PM
collettec
There's no reason why you can't put a large bright picture on the wall if it fits. As for the flooring, would stain it, or stain and add a carpet runner as Penwork Design suggested, or carpet the entire stairs. Would repair the chipped tile on the one doorstep. Perhaps a light at both the top and bottom of stairwell.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 4:57PM
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
I'd do a back lite mirror over the down stairs door. Both for light and the visual aspect of anything you do on the walls. [houzz=
]

My comments on this photo tell how this is an easy DYI project.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 5:10PM