Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What am I missing?
prissy13
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Ok, so i have repositioned my living room furniture and removed all the excess, per previous posts from Houzz members, Thank you! So what to do next and what am I missing? I plan to put the large photo above the couch with maybe an extended wall gallery, but that will be a work in progress. Also, the open space feels off to me. Should i put end tables and lamps flanking the large sofa? Should anything be next to the small loveseat? I also plan to get a larger, more vibrant color area rug underneath. There are several angles of the room attached. Thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
prissy13
forgot to mention. Two pictures are taken from my front door entry way (which face the windows). The other is from my kitchen.
December 28, 2012 at 4:56pm   
Manon Floreat
Oh, prissy! You did it and it looks great! So much more visual space. Like a breath of fresh air. I would like to see end tables flanking the sofa with table lamps on top of them. I'd also like that bookshelf to find somewhere else to live. Small details that will make a big impact.

Nice job!
December 28, 2012 at 5:25pm     
judianna20
prissy, great arrangement that you have done. I still like no rug at all, would love to see end tables and lamps, just the single picture above sofa, and who is that cutie pie on the floor?
December 28, 2012 at 5:41pm     
lessismoore
I hate to jump in so late, but I looked at your previous post on this - So, the love seat on the window wall is more or less facing the TV/fireplace, right? So are you looking at the TV "through" the chair?
I find myself wishing you had a pair of chairs, and that they would back on to your kitchen and that the larger sofa would be against window and the loveseat sized one on the wall where you are going to do your photo gallery (and yes, the loveseat flanked with with end tables and lamps). But you've already done a herculean job of "editing" so congrats to you! If you want to keep the bookcase, painting it a lighter color might make it "blend" more. Just a thought.
December 28, 2012 at 5:49pm     
PRO
LM Designers
I would put end tables with lamps on both sides of the couch creating the L shape with the loveseat. The table on the right side of the couch is to small, move that to the other side of the chair. A big mirror above the couch would look nice and bounce the light for a more expansive feel.
December 28, 2012 at 5:54pm     
prissy13
Manon, thanks. I plan to move the bookshelf but need to find a home for it first. What shape do you think for the end tables? And would you go dark wood? I love the look of french country painted furniture. What to do about the floor lamp? Judyg, thanks. That's my oldest, taking a break from furniture moving on the floor :) Do you think the are will still come together without a rug underneath? lessismore...no the chair isnn't blocking the TV..just the fireplace a little. I originally had my small loveseat on that long wall, but it always seems like too much wall even with end tables. There is always gaping space..but maybe its just because i'm not used to it. But i do love the idea of two matching chairs..if I can find them for cheap :) LM...what would you do with the floor lamp? Thanks so much everyone!!!
December 28, 2012 at 9:24pm   
Kevin Neel
the layout looks great, but you definitely need more light at eye level (not overhead).

you might also consider painting the wall behind the sofa a subtle accent color, (nothing bright, but something slightly darker that tames the large open area not covered by that photo.
December 28, 2012 at 9:35pm   
prissy13
what about two mirrors above the sofa?
December 29, 2012 at 11:24am   
PRO
Peggy Berk - Area Aesthetics Interior Design
prossy,

I think you need to float the furniture in this room (pull the sofa off the wall) - from the vantage point of the second photo, it looks very off balance.... I would also reposition that small circular table to the outside of the chair - so that it approximately gives you the same length as the loveseat opposite... there is also too much visual weight on the right side of the sofa...I would move the bookcase elsewhere in the room.... end tables would be nice as would a second lamp - whether you go with another floor lamp or a table lamp on an end table, try to keep the height of the two within a few inches...
December 29, 2012 at 11:31am     
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Hi Prissy13, I love the idea of grouping mirrors, but "2 mirrors" is an odd "group". You may want to go with groupings of 4 or 5 (depending on size,shape,cost, etc). The other thing that is feeling "off" is the "squared up feeling" of the sofas, the rug, the chair and the table. IF you keep the rug, you may want to move the arm chair towards the corner of the rug so that you have a bit more "interest" when viewing it from the entrance.

If you remove the rug, then planning the space will have less "restrictions" to it and you can angle things a bit better (you won't be hemmed in by the rectangular shape of the rug). The floor lamp needs a new home - perhaps even a new shade for that home. IF you are going to keep it, I would (A) update the shade; and (B) move it to the corner beside the fireplace (the wall we can't see).
December 29, 2012 at 11:36am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I agree with moving the small table to the other side of the chair. On that end of the sofa use a square or rectangle end table. On the other end use a round one. I would add two small ottomans across the table from the sofa. This adds balance and a bit more seating. Other than that do some of the other suggestions. You have come along way and it is looking good. Congrats.
December 29, 2012 at 11:42am     
PRO
LM Designers
With little kids in the house I always worry that the floor lamps will be pulled over and hurt a child. I just don't think they are stable enough to have around kids. I would put it somewhere else for now even storage and put table lamps on rectangle tables by the couch. I like to get odd pieces of furniture off Crais List and garage sales then transform them into something different. If you did this with your end tables and even if they are different painted them the same it would be reasonable and you can either paint a different color or replace years down the road without stressing on the expense. I just wouldn't put a lot of money into expensive furniture at this time in raising the children plus your taste will change.
December 29, 2012 at 12:08pm   
PRO
LM makes a good point about floor lamps - if you can lift them easily they are too unstable where there are young children. On the other hand, a good solid floor lamp with a very heavy base should be okay. (When you push the lamp, the base should move, rather than the lamp tipping.... even better if you can't push it at all...)
December 29, 2012 at 12:29pm   
prissy13
I appreciate everyones comments but the layout of my room is hard. Yo have to walk through the living room, cutting across it in front of the tv and fireplace to get to the kitchen, dining area and backyard. Pulling the large sofa away from the wall will only cut down the sixe of the room and put the seating to close to the tv and fireplace walking area. I am not really sure what to do here. But i will get two end tables and table lamps. That small lovseat just throws it off i think. Would it be better to replace it with another matching chair then put the pair with a table in front of the windows? Ugh this is so much harder than. I thought. Just wish i could pay someone to do it.
December 29, 2012 at 2:38pm   
Manon Floreat
Hi, prissy. Yes, it would be ideal to have a longer sofa and replace the loveseat with two matching arm chairs with a table between. I think it will be much more versatile than the sectional you were considering in your first post.

With that said, what you have now works well. Get the two end tables to flank the sofa. I'd do exactly what Interiors International recommends - one square and one round. And one of them can totally be the painted French look that you like!

When you're ready to buy new furniture, one of the end tables you choose now can go between your new arm chairs.

Here's a little painted French country eye candy. Super easy to DIY if you keep your eyes open at thrift stores, estate sales and craigslist!
December 29, 2012 at 3:28pm     
annmarie2
I like the idea of moving the little table to the other side of the chair. It changes the visual weight without seriously impeding the traffic flow. I also think the suggestion of painting the wall an accent color is good...that's a lot of beige right now. Finally - whatever artwork goes above the sofa, I read somewhere that the bottom of the frame shouldn't be more than about 8" above the back of the sofa.
December 29, 2012 at 3:39pm   
PRO
What are the actual dimensions of the room?
December 29, 2012 at 3:58pm   
prissy13
From the front entry way to the back windows it is about 17 feet and 14 feet from the back sofa wall to the kitchen. Plus the area that houses the fireplace and tv s angled so you never get a straight on view of that area from wither the long wall or the window wall. I would have to angle my sofa across the back end of the room
December 29, 2012 at 9:13pm   
prissy13
There is about 4 extra feet in the front living room space, but i count that as part of the hallway
December 29, 2012 at 9:19pm