Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What can I do with this walls/room?
lewilliams
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Thinking about adding black floating shelves to both sides of the television. Need ideas of what to do with the center of the room.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
judianna20
What is the little black box under the T V?
December 28, 2012 at 6:50PM   
lewilliams
That's a contemporary fireplace without mantle
December 28, 2012 at 6:54PM   
Kevin Neel
bring the couches in towards each other (away from walls) anchored on the floor by a rug. there's a lot of neutral color, so I'd paint the walls a color of your choice and choose a rug that coordinates (since you can't do anything with the couches).

once you pull the couches away from the wall, you may have space to put a desk under the window. the tv totally overshadows the fireplace, so perhaps consider a wall application around the fireplace that is wider than the tv. as it appears, the larger tv creates a top-heavy look, so perhaps frame a mantle that's wider than the tv (and columns to the floor) while painting the wall inside of it (next to the fireplace) a dark color.

just some ideas!
December 28, 2012 at 7:12PM     
PRO
Gina Sofia Martelli , ASID
The fire place is your focus point and badly needs to be finished. Consider a dramatic wide black ogee architectural moulding to frame it, adding a bit of glamour.
December 28, 2012 at 7:13PM   
Manon Floreat
Yes, the TV is overshadowing the fireplace. You can either beef it up with a surround or get a wider model. I'm not sure that the floating shelves will be enough to balance the arrangement.
December 28, 2012 at 11:31PM   
fanelda
ww.bing.com/images/search?q=stone+creek+wall+unit&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=FF88E8103F277E89E1FAD3D60AB544678975EE5F&selectedIndex=2

Saw this in a showroom in Phoenix. Would be perfect on this wall
December 29, 2012 at 12:08AM   
fanelda
Here is the photo for you.
December 29, 2012 at 12:11AM     
Natalie
Wallpaper, TV off to the side, not above FP, and floating shelves. Good Luck!
[houzz=Rocky River Living][houzz=MJ Lanphier]
December 29, 2012 at 12:29AM   
PRO
Welcome Home designs
As previously mentioned, your TV is too large for above your fireplace. One solution is to make your fireplace appear larger by adding a tile surround. The other alternative is to connect the TV and fireplace by making them a "wall unit" using paint or tile.
December 29, 2012 at 12:57AM   
PRO
Welcome Home designs
December 29, 2012 at 12:59AM   
PRO
FurnitureNYC
Yes, the room looks so empty .. hmm.. at first you can add a CD & DVD Media Storages, secondly your room looks a little bit gloomy (add more lightings) and last you can add a rug (it's bring a warm atmosphere in your living room)
If you need home accessories and furnishings please welcome to http://www.furniturenyc.net
December 29, 2012 at 2:10AM   
inkwitch
The first thing I would do (if you want floating shelves -- and they are very modern and smart) is paint the wall a contrasting color to give the shelves a backdrop. Perhaps something "edgy" since you have so much creamy neutrals. If you plan on buying an area rug to tie the 2 sofas together, use a color from that. Perhaps red (you're using it as an accent, but beware, it requires special prep) or a darker tan (especially if you want to keep the neutral color scheme going). Long-term, you'll probably be happiest with black or dark-wood-tone shelves. Consult an expert about how to put them up; there's special hardware to make them look "floating."

There's many configurations, but I suggest 3 shelves. 1 just below the FP, 1 just above the fireplace, and an "interrupted" shelf half-way between the two. The top and bottom should span the entire wall. Stopping short of spanning the entire wall is going to look weird and give you another design dilemma.

The bottom shelf gives a base to the FP and something to put those speakers on (horizontally?) The interrupted shelf would focus on the FP as well. THe top one gives you a mantle. This would be the focus of the room, but it would put that TV more in scale.

THen you pull your sofas out from the walls (were you planning on shouting across the room?) with a coffee table and an area rug (big enough for all the seating to have at least the front legs on the rug). TOo many identical end tables. Something different would be interesting, and give you a reason to shop yard sales, 2nd hand stores, etc. Can't tell about the rest of the room, but if you have the wall space, switch hte location of the 2 sofas. That would give you less mass around those windows and room for a sofa table behind the loveseat for a lamp. Post a photo when you're done. We'd all love to see what you decide.
December 29, 2012 at 4:13AM   
lewilliams
Thanks for all the great ideas...I will post pictures as I go along...I'm having a hard time finding long shevles. Any suggestions on where I can find great shevles?
December 29, 2012 at 4:36PM   
inkwitch
You will have to go to Lowe's, HD or a local lumbmer store to buy 2x12" lumber, finish them yourself. If you go online, there are how-to sites which describe how to build "boxes" that look like thicker shelves and are lighter-weight. These aren't going to hold as much weight, but that depends on the hardware you use to mount the shelving no matter what you use. THere is special hardware at these stores as well as online sites. This will not be a quick project -- although it seems simple enough! I recommend thorough research before starting. I have the same dilemma as I want a 11' floating shelf across the back of my dining room.
January 2, 2013 at 2:55AM     
More Discussions
need help for entryway
The front of our house is really boring. We want to...
Most hideous gift you've received for your house?
Friends and family always have the best intentions,...
New wall color needed
This guest bathroom was renovated 3 years ago and I...
Need help designing my bedroom
I need advice on how to design my bedroom. I got a...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.