Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Looks like something is missing
zariah04
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'm not good at decorating I seem to buy things that do not match or flow. I bought these two wall decors because the wall was too bare but something is still missing.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
Missing- a Large nose on the TV screen and smile underneath
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 7:10PM
zariah04
Lol, sooooo....... No ideas?
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 7:13PM
PRO
Lanie Brown, REALTORĀ®, Martha Turner Sotheby's
I feel like the TV should sit on a heavier piece of furniture to ground it (re-purpose an old dresser, perhaps?) or just hang on the wall. Could the small computer/work station move to a different location in the room? I feel like there are too many small items lined up along that wall.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 7:16PM
ginginsmommah
lol@ the last comment. Well, for one thing, the walls need to be painted a nice buttery yellow or whatever color you like that will contrast well with the round thingies. And two is not the right number. Maybe you could use just one (as an element of art) incorporated with some photos in frames. Things like these need to be grouped in odd numbers, like three or five. You could create some extra drama by adding some more and randomly place them on a large wall, just not around the t.v.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 7:18PM
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
Do a photo search for bookcase and TV walls here on Houzz.

Consider integrating the computer monitor functions onto the large screen TV with a rf mouse & keyboard or as a screen extension of you I pad which allows you to work on both at the same time.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 7:18PM
elklaker
More pictures of the whole room. The decor, as it is, is definitely not working. Remember when working with multiples-odd numbers (3 or 5, etc). Let's see the rest of the room for some better inspiration.
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 7:18PM
ginginsmommah
I was laughing at the "nose" comment :o-)))
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 7:20PM
tennisanyone
Take them down and get a big entertainment system that would fit the tv. Somehow I did smile when I saw this.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 7:21PM
PRO
Tamara Heather Interior Design, LLC
Agree with Lanie Brown. My first thought, a more solid, more generously proportioned and preferably lighter toned cabinet under the TV. I'd also suggest adding a floor or table lamp (or two).
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 7:21PM
Manon Floreat
The problem is that wall is housing too much. You need a lower TV console. The one you have is just a little too high and it's not long enough. The computer monitor to the right of the TV is not well placed. They are competing for your attention.

I'd get a different console, place the TV off center towards the right and arrange the wall sculptures vertically to the left of the TV. Something like this:
3 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 7:32PM
Miguel Simoes
Actually I would say it's less about what's missing and more about what is too much. IMO that desk with the computer shouldn't be there at all.

And as manon stated above me a nice wooden av console/cabinet would make a world of difference.
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 7:36PM
Manon Floreat
Oh - I see that others were posting while I was making the visual. I think we're all on the same page regarding the visual balance of the wall. A different TV console and relocating the computer station will solve most of the balance problem.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 7:37PM
PRO
RNW Construction
I believe what you are dealing with is scale and balance. The two pieces are too small individually for the wall areas that contain them.
For fun, using the pieces you have, what would happen if you stacked one above the other to one side of the TV monitor? That should leave you a good-sized wall that you can add a painting/poster or mirror to. For simplicity's sake, have the mirror/painting cover approximately the same area as the two pieces do combined. That should give you a visually balanced wall.
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 7:38PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi everyone. Happy Holidays! Really great feedback. Manon - love the visual.

zariah04 - I too would love to see more pictures of the room. Is that an exposed brick wall to the right of the computer monitor?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 8:04PM
Manon Floreat
Thanks, Essentials. And yes, photos of what else is going on in the room would be helpful.

Well, Zariah - how 'bout it? You've got a team of aesthetes here ready to make your space fabulous.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 8:15PM
ocram16
Move the computer to the other corner so it's not so cluttered, that's if you can't move it someplace else. Mount the tv and have a glass, wall mounted shelf to go with the wall decorations. The glass shelf should go right under the middle of the tv for DVD players and such, you can also hide some cable coming down form the tv.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 8:39PM
Natalie
Hi---yes a low media cabinet (light finish) would be ideal. Also---you soooo need a LIGHT colored rug in this space-the color is so dark and furniture heavy. I suggest something with soothing colors and curves/organic forms---rug pics for inspiration. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck! http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/orian-rugs-linwood/mandalay/1301625-2308.html
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 10:43PM
thislittlehouse
Mmm that brick wall is intriguing - show us more photos please! We need to see everything in that room, or that you've got elsewhere in the house that could be used in the room (even if you don't think it would work, you could be surprised!) ... And don't talk yourself out of decorating your room - taste is by nature highly subjective, consequently everyone likes different things. Trust yourself to take a risk and play around with what you've got!
:) Elise
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 12:08AM
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with scale and balance. Also would be helpful if you provide more photos of other views of the room so we can have a better sense of your furniture and perhaps adding some accent pieces to warm up the space.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 6:15AM
mpoulsom
Like everyone else has said, new furniture for the tv or a wall cabinet to incorporate it perhaps....like the idea of a lighter area rug with color in the room AND I think you may need to paint the whole room. Use flat paint on your walls....it looks like you have glossy paint from the picture!
2 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 6:26AM
Natalie
Yes, flat paint indeed. I forgot to mention that last night... :) I think this room is an easy fix... Upload more pics when you get a moment-we would like to see more...
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 9:24AM