Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dining room /Kitchen passageway dilemma
agreenwood
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Our new kitchen opens onto dining room and the passageway to the up and down circular stairways runs right between the 2! A large pantry
is to the r. of this picture w. nondescript doors. A 2nd large pantry is on the other side of the kitchen. How to place the table in this 15 l/2 w. x
13 deep space? Table is 6 ft. long x 42 " wide.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
Do U have a floor plan? Not sure I am seeing this space correctly. Are end chairs touching walls? Is there a ceiling light? Can table be made shorter?
Dining area appears cramped. I'd remove the 2 arm chairs & also 2 side chairs and use them in the LR or a bedroom, until needed 4 entertaining.
I'd paint the staircase wood (wrought iron?) black.
December 29, 2012 at 8:17AM   
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Not knowing what our budget is, you could consider building in an L-shaped bench (incorporate storage here) on the two walls behind the table and placing the extra chairs else where in the house as suggested by olldj22. It seams like the table is too big for the space but if you deleted the need for space to back up the chairs it might help.
December 29, 2012 at 8:24AM   
PRO
Dytecture
I agree the dining table is too big for the space. Is there enough room by tturning the table around ?
December 29, 2012 at 12:56PM   
houssaon
Even though the room is almost a square I would put the table in line with the longest width - the 15 and one half feet. That should be pleant of space for a six foot lenght of table and two end chairs. Do you need a paintry in the dining room. Why not remove the doors and the shelving and create an alcove for a buffet?

Your railing is really different. I haven't seen any thing like it. How about painting it a color? I like the distressed blue of this railing: seaside resort living or the soft agua of this railing Branch Street. This sage colored railing really looks good with the same trim: Botkier residence. Paint the trads and the trim of the floor the same color and make a feature of this unusual railing.
December 29, 2012 at 2:03PM