Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Exterior Colors Needed
toujourpres
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I recently bought this home. The photo is the original listing photo. It is an 90 year old Acadian Cottage in southern Louisiana. Improvements in process are 8 ft tall 6 panes over 9 period accurate windows (see attached photo) with shutters. I plan on removing the railing and replacing the front door with a double arched cypress door (see photo). The top two arched panels will glass. It will be finished in a clear spar marine satin varnish. I will but old chicago brick steps with walkway leading to sidewalk. There will also be a gas lantern to the left of the front door. The colums will be beefed up to be wider and deeper. I prefer neutral colors, though I would be open to all suggestions. Thank you for your help in advance.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Manon Floreat
I think a classic white with black would look great on this house. It sure is a charmer! Oh - and definitely a haint blue porch ceiling.

Here's a photo of one with colors. Even though you want neutrals, I thought you'd appreciate what the owners did here.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 9:33PM
houssaon
Blue ceiling would be wonderful with a light gray porch and off whites trim. Looks like a gray roof, correct? I would do the window dividers and casement in a dark color.

Here are some colors I would consider: Alexandria Beige HC-77 Paint, Brandon Beige 977 by Benjamin Moore, Benjamin Moore Rockport Gray and Yorkshire Tan HC-23.

I wonder, can you go without railings? I think code might require railings, since the porch looks like its over 30" from the ground.
1 Like   December 28, 2012 at 10:52PM
thislittlehouse
Oh I love that Rockport Gray pictured above - with white trim it will look crisp and fresh. What a lovely house!
:) Elise
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 12:11AM
Cynthia Duke
I have used Yorkshire Tan and it fits the look of a Louisiana style cottage...great home! Looking forward to seeing finished product! I am currently using New Chestnut, Springfield Tan and Wilmington Tan in our current home.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 9:28AM
PRO
Live In a Legend
Is this in Covington, LA?
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 9:53AM
PRO
Jackson Cabinetry LLC
Yes. It is on 23rd Avenue.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 12:19PM
Marie Feist
How do you feel about mauve with pale sage accents?
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 12:26PM
Jayme H.
So cool...jealous...So many fabulous possibilites!
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 12:55PM
PRO
studio | FORMA
I love all the outlined plans you have for your home. The front door, the new windows are exquisite, however why go with Neutral colors in such a historic home. Of course its your home but here are some inspiration pictures for color schemes. Peach and Green color combo and Vanilla,
White and Navy are some of my favorites.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 2:19PM
PRO
studio | FORMA
Peach and Green:
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 2:20PM
PRO
studio | FORMA
Vanilla, White and Navy:
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 2:21PM
charlottegirl
Not sure if you've purchased your lantern yet, but you should call Lantern & Scroll. I recently bought a gas lantern there after shopping around, and they were so helpful and less expensive than some others. Cheers!
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 4:53AM
charlottegirl
Or perhaps 1 hanging gas lantern. Like this one!
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 5:01AM
PRO
Live In a Legend
Show off that renovation with paint that shows it off! Don't hide it.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 10:24AM
Denice Shuty
You live in a warm climate and a city with character - go for drama and color! You need some type of railing for safety - your porch is 3-4 steps up from the ground - an accident waiting to happen without a railing. The size of the posts don't bother me, but take the address numbers off. Maybe add a ceiling fan or other ceiling mounted fixture over the seating area. Can you make the stairs and walk wider, that would look more inviting and create a stronger connection between the front yard and porch. I'd like to see an accent color on the face of the center peak to emphasize that area. The two windows on the right are kind of close together for shutters, can you add some type of painted wood fret-work either over the windows or along the underside of the porch ceiling?
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 10:31AM
PRO
studio | FORMA
Looking forward to updates on this house!! :)
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 10:50AM
Denice Shuty
Me too!
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 10:54AM
PRO
Live In a Legend
Looks like we are neighbors! You GOT TO LOVE COVINGTON! House looking great.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 7:59PM
PRO
Live In a Legend
LOVE THE NEW COLOR!
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 7:48PM
toujourpres
Thank you. It was one of the hardest choices I have ever made, but I am thrilled with the results. Once the black shutters go up it should really be nice.
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
Hands up if you have a farmhouse sink!
Whether you call them butler, farmhouse, Belfast or...
Need to find narrow table lamps
I need to find a table lamp similar to the ones offered...
Need help! Total kitchen remodel 1930's wood home
I am doing a complete remodel of my kitchen and need...
Help my master bedroom is boring!
Help ideas for curtains and bedding
Need help with window Treatments
We just completed a major kitchen remodel and installed...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.