Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ideas for Drapery and Wall along staircase
Daniel Nguyen
December 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Since my last post gave me many ideas and opinions. I would like the houzz community to give one on this room.

To view the other post go to: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/281049/Ideas-for-wall-behind-sofa-and-extra-space

That will give you the flow of the house.

For this room I would like to go with some drapery that will add to the room some dynamic to the room. I'm not sure if I should go pattern or flat, some colour or no colour since the bookcases give much of the colour in this room. I will probably add some colourful accessories soon.

Also, any ideas on how I can fill that space near the staircase without it feeling awkward? I was thinking maybe a mirror or two that look like windows?

Feel free to give your opinions on this space. I enjoy all the input.

Wall Colour is Rocky Road by Benjamin Moore CC-470
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Manon Floreat
I suggest adding some softness with the addition of floor to ceiling drapes for the entire window wall - a milky white. Semi-sheer will allow the light to come in, but provide privacy, too.

The art to the left of the book case needs to be lowered. It's best hung at eye level - which for this room would be at a seated level.

As for the area above the bureau in the stair area. How about a framed vintage map? Or photograph?

I like this one below. It seems to relate to the architectural nature of your aesthetic. It will also add a little color. Artist is Brian Eden.

Great room!
December 28, 2012 at 10:50PM   
Daniel Nguyen
Thanks for the input. Those sound like good ideas. There's three walls there by the staircase so I'm not sure if one frame will work?

As for the art left of the bookcase, it's the high because I will be having a piano/keyboard put underneath it so it will be sitting right above that.

Floor to ceiling drapes sounds like a great idea, semi-sheer would be great as it's not a room that I'm entirely concerned with privacy.
December 28, 2012 at 11:13PM   
Cynthia Schames
Manon pretty much slayed it in one post! Nothing much left to add...except that I would probably change out that ceiling fixture (what my husband and I call "boob lights") with something a lot more fitting to your clean, contemporary style.
An oversized drum shade comes to mind, wider than it is tall.
December 29, 2012 at 12:36PM     
PRO
Wow Great Place
I agree with Manon also, and like Cynthia's suggestion for a drum shade. Something like this would look quite handsome in this room....
December 29, 2012 at 12:44PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like the ideas above especially the light fixture. My only exception would be that I think you could do a patterned fabric for thr drapes. You already have enough solids. Color would add a lot too.
December 29, 2012 at 12:51PM     
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Manon is ON! If I might add a SMALL thing...go shear with a pattern. You have this gorgeous, dynamic rug with huge pattern that is just DYING to have it's pattern (or something similar) repeated!!! IF YOU CAN FIND a sheer with embossing/embroidery that mimics the pattern in the rug, I think your space will dance!

I would love to see a shimmer of gold or brass (to match the brass tacks in the leather chair). The tone on tone is beautiful but it needs a bit more sparkle (must be subtle of course, but a bit of something is needed here).
December 29, 2012 at 12:52PM     
MAlps
Love the room. Wheres the rug from?
December 29, 2012 at 12:58PM     
Manon Floreat
Hi Daniel. I'm not understanding the stair area. Do you have a photo that shows it better?
December 29, 2012 at 1:20PM   
Cynthia Schames
Ooh Cancork Floor I love the idea of repeating that lovely damask pattern from the rug on the window wall. Something like the attached photo might work well, and carry the ivory from the fireplace and stairway area to that side of the room as well. I'd mount a double panel between each of the small windows, as well as into the corners, for a total of 8 or so panels. The ones in the picture are from Overstock (don't judge!) so at $33 each that's pretty cheap for a huge impact. The reviews do say that they're quite sheer even though they're not being sold as sheers, per se.

Definitely agree that adding some sparkle to the room in accessories would finish it beautifully.

Love that drum shade from Wow Great Room, as well. Nice choice!
December 29, 2012 at 1:30PM     
Daniel Nguyen
Cynthia, that's a great look. I'll highly consider. Especially at that price point.
December 31, 2012 at 12:32PM   
Daniel Nguyen
MAIps, I bought this rug from homesense in the Toronto area.
December 31, 2012 at 12:33PM     
collettec
Not sure what is to the left of the fireplace. Think that you could use more balance and symmetry there. Perhaps some art above the chest to the right of the fireplace. Then perhaps art on the stairwall itself. Or art starting on the second slant or jut from the fireplace - so something above the chest and perhaps more substantial furniture there, then a blank area next to it for the first bend in the wall, then art moving up the stairwall after the second bend.
December 31, 2012 at 12:50PM   
mpoulsom
The room is really nice! And not disagreeing with others, but my first thought was something dramatic for curtains....like red...or a patterned dark brown/black with red.
December 31, 2012 at 1:04PM   
mmilos
I'd go with just a plain textured drapery, since you have some pattern in the rug, but something luxurious. A pop of color would look nice. How about terra cotta orange? Add some pillows in a similar color.
December 31, 2012 at 1:08PM     
collettec
Just wanted to add since can't tell on my monitor what you do have to the left of the fireplace, if it's for instance a television stand and pipe or just the television stand, if it is something that is moveable ie: a tv stand by itself, one option would be built in casing to either side of the fireplace, with room for the television.
December 31, 2012 at 1:33PM   
mmilos
^ It looks like he's got one of those cool flat panel TV easels.... I like it.
December 31, 2012 at 1:35PM     
collettec
Not sure if it's an option, but if freestanding - how would it look it you switched sides with the chest so it's not in front of the window? Or maybe just pulled it a little way out from the window?
December 31, 2012 at 1:41PM   
victorianbungalowranch
Maybe I'm the only one and it is the photo, but that chair and little end table with the globe feels a little unanchored and almost like it can fall down the steps. Maybe a standing screen will tie it together more, or move the table over a bit.

Then I would move that nice piece of art over the bureau by the stairs and put something smaller and horizontal over the keyboard.

Some color in the pillows would finish things off--maybe some of that green color from the stairwell and some other tones, like russet, rusty orange and maybe even Tiffany blue.
December 31, 2012 at 2:04PM     
marymarsh000
You need to put more weight visually on the window wall, so yes, full length drapery panels across that wall is an excellent solution.
December 31, 2012 at 2:48PM   
groveraxle
Am I the only one bothered by the sofa pushed up against the bookcase? I would rotate all the furniture in the room 90 degrees clockwise.
December 31, 2012 at 3:21PM   
Daniel Nguyen
To the left of the fireplace is a tv on a rustic easel. I can move it back further. I just have it up when I'm watching. I can't switch sides since there is no space for any large item near the entrance.

Below the artwork on the wall will be a keyboard. So that will pull that side together.

Some of you guys put my thoughts right on. I believe I will try to add some rustic orange to the sofa.

For curtains I might go with a linen for now until I can find a fitting coloured or patterned one I like.

I specifically wanted the couch in front of the bookshelves. Look up on houzz different designs with this feature. I love them.
December 31, 2012 at 3:35PM   
Candace Bordelon
After seeing the TV on the left of the fireplace you definitely need some balance with that little chest on the right. Also, this room is screaming for some color and texture/pattern. I'd pick curtains in a color and then repeat with some accent pillows and other pops of color--vases and the like. Perhaps a burnt orange, deep red, or turquoise.
December 31, 2012 at 3:49PM     
colonialgp
From the photos, the room looks cold, especially with the harsh ceiling lights. Curtains will certainly help, but a couple of lamps will go a long way to giving it that comfy look.
December 31, 2012 at 3:53PM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Would use Luminette to soften up the space perhaps Angelica fabric?
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/silhouette-sheer-blinds.html
January 1, 2013 at 12:23AM