Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with living room!!
mmhicks
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am finally getting around to my living room and need help and suggestions!! I'm ready to buy pillows for the couch and paint the back of the bookcases, but I'm not sure of what color(s) and prints would work best with the room. Any help would be appreciated!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michellelouise22
It's a blank canvas! What color do you love to wear? Ignore trends and use THAT color. It will have sticking power for you.
December 29, 2012 at 8:58AM   
TanCalGal
R the sofas centered with fireplace? Center sofas and buy a coffee table. Living Room

For pillows, some do the technique 2-2-1 (see photo) the "one" being the smaller center pillow. Choose colors that are in rug. Is the rug plum? Maybe a plum throw, too. I like simple and often do just the "one" in the center. Mid-Century Mod - Dallas, TX

I would not paint the back of bookcases. Instead, add a few more decorative items (wicker basket, accent (plum?) colored pottery etc Lorraine Vale

Here's an ideabook on arranging shelves Ideabook: How to Arrange Shelves with Style
December 29, 2012 at 9:00AM   
mmhicks
Awesome thoughts, ideas!! The rug is a brown dash and Albert, but it does seem to have some plum undertones.
December 29, 2012 at 9:56AM     
mmhicks
Oh and sofas are centered it just doesn't appear that way from the pic:)
December 29, 2012 at 9:57AM     
Jayme H.
Thinking I wouldn't paint the backs of the shelves. Pull shades from rug for pillows or a color that ties in with the rug. Nice room!
December 29, 2012 at 10:11AM   
TanCalGal
If you like the look of back of bookcase painted, paint foam board instead...
December 29, 2012 at 10:28AM   
Harrut
Hi,
I came across this picture from the Houzz collection:-
Just a thought !
December 29, 2012 at 10:31AM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Here are some pillow possibilities for you, pictured below. To determine what size coffee table you need, measure the space between the two sofas and subtract 36" because typically we place a coffee table 18" out from the front of the sofa. Fortunately you have some flexibility in how close you place the sofas to each other, so that will make finding the right size table easier on you.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Diamond Chenille Pillow, Purple Kelly Wearstler Bengal Bazaar Pillow Covers By Aurelia6311 Ikat Decorative Throw Pillow
December 29, 2012 at 10:46AM   
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
Yes, start with colors you love. Maybe look at your closet and see what color pops up most. Also consider what is your favorite season. You have the brown/plum rug as a start and other than that you really have a neutral palette to work with. For pillows, check out your Etsy, they have some amazing ready made pillows in designer fabrics for a great prices. Then use a down fill with them to get a really rich look. I happen to like painting or even wallpapering the backs of bookcases. Really you have to determine how much pattern you want your room to have. You do need to add a coffee table. If you have kids a leather or upholstered one can be great If you do upholstery, make sure you go for a stylish frame but a durable fabric. That should be a good start, although your room can hold so much more. Good luck, your off to a great start!
December 29, 2012 at 11:05AM   
More Discussions
Kitchen back splash tiles
This kitchen is tiny and very dark with black cabinets,...
Window Trim and Skirting Dilemma
Hi all, hoping someone can help. We are currently...
Need help for home exterior...please!
My husband and I have bought a fixer up. We love the...
Need help picking a sunny yellow paint for retro kitchen
I have a Brady bunch kitchen. I am trying to select...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.