powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Can I use a braided rug (round) with this furniture?
mrsfindley
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are decorating our brand new coastal vacation home in central California. Colors are all neutral with aqua and teal accents with a Coastal theme. We love our new dining room furniture which is a bit more formal. The floors are a light hardwood. We first had a very traditional round rug, but as you can see in the photo, it was too small. Now, in shopping for a larger rug, we are finding limited options, and are considering changing from traditional to a more casual braided, larger round rug. Is the furniture too formal for braided?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dar Eckert
moss tree, landfall
Orange and Green Living Room
Dark Olive Green Round Rug
I don't think that you are limited to just using a round rug but here are some thoughts. A traditional braided rug would look a little out of place but may be fine depending on the colors. I'm thinking more round graphic in aqua.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 7:39AM
feeny
Honestly, I wouldn't use a braided rug with your more formal upholstered chairs. I have a number of hand braided rugs that my grandmother made, and I find them very hard to use as they seem to turn everything into an old fashioned "country" style--out of a Norman Rockwell painting. I don't think you should feel limited to a round rug just because your table is round. You are working with neutral colors so you should have many area rug options--maybe something with an aqua and cream and taupe or brown color palette.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 7:50AM
mrsfindley
Thanks for your input. I do want to stay with round, but agree that a braided rug could look a bit too casual. So far, I like the graphic example here. Any other comments will be welcome.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 7:51AM
mrsfindley
Wow, two comments suggesting that I look outside of round! That could really open up the options. Thanks!
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 7:56AM
feeny
If you really want to stick with a round rug I'd suggest either something very simple (first photo) or more formal, but in your colors (second photo). But I really encourage you to look at square and rectangular rugs too. I think there are probably as many photos of round dining tables with square rugs as round ones on Houzz:
Round Jute Rug, Natural
Round Rugs
Dream House Studios, Inc.
Wolfram-Dining Room
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 8:04AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Braided only if it is sisal -- not the old colonial style from the '60's or so. But with a dining area, you may want to forego a rug altogether. If not, make it one that's easy to clean, such as: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=indoor+outdoor+sisal+look+carpet&qpvt=indoor+outdoor+sisal+look+carpet&FORM=IGRE
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 8:08AM
mrsfindley
We really need a rug since the chairs are on casters (a huge requirement for us). After reading the comments here, I am beginning to look at square or rectangle, but measurements to keep the side furniture off the carpet, I need to find 9'6" x 11'...Hard to find! Also, we have ruled sisal out due to wanting something soft on bare feet. I know... Picky, picky!
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 9:22AM
houssaon
I love the Dark Olive Green Round Rug Dar Eckert suggested. I think it is fun and a bit unusual.

You could also look at carpeting and have a piece cut to measure.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 12:38PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Not necessarily, the table is informal enough. The chairs look as though they are on casters. This will be really abusive to a braided rug. I like the homey quality that this type of rug instils in a room. You will need to add some primitive type accents to tie to together though.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 12:45PM
MAlps
I would go rectangular- takes up more floor space and give warmer cozier look.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 12:47PM
More Discussions
strange niche in entry
I need ideas for this 7ft tall niche ( 17" wide and...
marystat
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
Need help with the family room
Hi, we recently moved to a house and need help in decorating...
thandra
need help with kitchen
We have selected antique white cabinets and want to...
jcaseyjr
Empty Space and Empty Wall
I still can't decide what to put/do here... Any ideas?...
Yvette Bautista
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.