Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with Chandelier
Cindy Silva
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Mediterranean style home in south east Florida. Need your help selecting a light fixture that would work in the Livingroom. It is a large room with lots of light during the day and very high ceilings.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
This is the area where my main office is. A large iron at least two tiers. Make sure you add shades if it doesn't come with them. If you could pop over to Naples after the 6th of Jan. I can take you to my lighting guy and find the perfect one. Good luck.
December 29, 2012 at 11:54am   
PRO
Lisa Lucas Design
Match the finish on the railings and make sure it is large in scale to work in this space. I suggest a large lantern style in a dark finish such as this Robert Abbey lantern.
December 29, 2012 at 11:59am   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
We need to know more about your style. Yes you could do wrought iron, either as a chandelier or as a lantern, but that's not very imaginative. Do you want something original? Maybe something that might be a modern contrast? There are so many different ways to go, and the budget can be quite stretched by these extra large fixtures. More information about what you expect would be quite helpful.
December 29, 2012 at 1:52pm     
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Your space is more Spanish/western Mediterranean than Italian or Greek. You have black iron with medium wood accent for your banister/railings. I think you can take the black iron and the Spanish influence and really run with it!

The Spanish style pulls heavily from Moorish/Arabic styling. You can have clean lines which are heavily decorated (punched steel plating) which can give a strong presence without overwhelming the simplicity of the space.

Here is something I found on Alibaba:
BR150 Antique Style Hand-Drilled Hand-Engraved Chandelier
December 29, 2012 at 2:10pm     
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Now that's an amazing fixture! Wow!
December 29, 2012 at 2:12pm   
zenhome
Your space is gorgeous and I think an extra large modern chandelier would be stunning. Something more of an art piece is what I'd go for with your high ceilings! Something on a grander scale too, as your space can handle it. Search houzz - lots of ideas.

Good luck!
December 29, 2012 at 3:16pm     
Cindy Silva
Wow! Thank you for all the feedback. We really like the Spanish/Mediterranean style... Clean lines, wrought iron, dark woods, then the right splash of color. What do you think about this chandelier from Restouration Hardware? It's big @ 40 1/2" wide by 43" high. I also included another picture of the room with better light.
December 29, 2012 at 4:55pm   
Darzy
I like your choice of chandy but I don't think it is dramatic or "bulky" enough for your fab space.
December 29, 2012 at 5:02pm     
Leigh Durand
Love the Restoration Hardware chandelier... so easy to live with for a long time.
December 29, 2012 at 5:02pm   
fabia
You are on the right path with the Retoration Chandeiier. The one pictured may not be heavy enough. And I would pass on the iron. Unless it is antique. I am not seeing Mediterranean interior.
December 29, 2012 at 5:14pm   
Darzy
This is quite unique..not sure it really works for your space but I sure like it!

December 29, 2012 at 5:23pm     
decoenthusiaste
This chandy made of wine barrel staves in a two-tiered version would look wonderful!

December 29, 2012 at 5:36pm     
zenhome
The chandelier from Restoration Hardware would look awesome in your space. I have seen that chandelier in person, and the picture doesn't do it justice. Great choice!
December 29, 2012 at 7:26pm   
Darzy
I DO like the Restoration Hardware choice. It's worth giving it a try in the space to see if it works for you.
December 29, 2012 at 7:33pm   
PRO
Lisa Lucas Design
If haven't mentioned the budget and since the RH one is quite expensive, I found this option also: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Foucaults-Orb-Crystal-Iron-6-Light-Chandelier/6908228/product.html?AID=10654383&PID=4003003&SID=crmp3u7e3twp
December 30, 2012 at 11:38am   
Jessica P
Thanks for the link to the overstock.com knockoff of the RH chandelier...I've been trying to justify the purchase for a while but now I don't have to...so glad I discovered houzz the other day:)
December 30, 2012 at 12:55pm   
Jessica P
Thanks for the link to the overstock.com knockoff of the RH chandelier...I've been trying to justify the purchase for a while but now I don't have to...so glad I discovered houzz the other day:)
December 30, 2012 at 12:56pm   
fabia
mind blowing, hand blown glass , custom colours
December 30, 2012 at 2:45pm   
More Discussions
changing my room
I want to change the decoration of my room totally...
changing my room
I want to change the decoration of my room totally...
POLL: Tiny Houses - Yes or No?
Do you see tiny houses and long to pitch your belongings...
room redecorating
I want suggestions to change the look of my room totally...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.