Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with living room colors!!
mmhicks
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'm finally tackling our living room. I have my sofas and rug which are neutrals. I need help with colors and prints to introduce through pillows. Also planning to paint the back of the bookshelves. Please help with any suggestions for the room!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mcgibs55
Its a beautiful living room you have, just a bit drab. if you`re keeping the rug you should go with a morocco style pattern of wallpaper behind the bookshelves, maybe in an earth tone:
. maybe consider adding some metallic fabrics to go with the metal plates i see on the shelves.
3 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 8:48AM
tennisanyone
What do those doors lead to that you are blocking with the sofa? I might suggest facing the couch towards the fireplace. Would like another picture of the other side.
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 8:48AM
PRO
ds interiors pvt ltd
sry in advance bcause i have a habit of soundin rude but i always get clients :-p......nice living room BUT sooo dammn dull!!! and some glitter and gloss!! i mean make it louad.....as u have wooden flring go with sme decorative pillow covers in same colour as ur flring and add some smaller ones in a littlle light shade ......then u can put some wall decals (on the fall behind the tv )with swarowski crystals to make it look hot and sexy unlike now and i guess u can put something in silk or similiar on the back side of shelfs......i like the design which someone suggested...tthats all
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 9:04AM
mmhicks
The doors are a secondary entrance to our office. We never use these doors. Like the Moroccan print idea!
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 9:54AM
houssaon
I like to wallpaper idea, although I think the pattern may be too busy. Do like the gray color for the back of the cases: Amherst Gray HC-167 by Benjamin Moore, Dolphin AF-715 by Benjamin Moore, and Sparrow AF-720 by Benjamin Moore. This is a beautiful dark gray color with red undertone that might look good, as well: Silhouette af-655 Benjamin Moore.

Add some art prints and paintings to you bookcase and fill in with pottery and colored glass vases: Our Navy Living Room, Willamette River Home and Hillgrove Project

I think you should consider a "L" shape configuration for the sofas and add an end table with a lamp and a square coffee table or large ottoman. I would invest in having the TV wires put through the walls so you don't see them.

I think you have an attractive room with a beautiful carpet. Good luck!
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:22AM
PRO
Lisa Lucas Design
I suggest matching the undertone of the gray to the undertone in the carpet which is a lavender. Based upon that, the AF-655 would be the best choice for the back of the shelves. Wallpaper becomes tiresome very quickly and the visual chaos of it being behind accessories would be extremely distracting. I suggest painting for a more timeless appeal. I would also suggest repeating your rug colors in pillows for the sofa. A coffee table would ground the space and make it feel more upscale but the scale will need to be large to match the scale of those sofas. Additional lighting also would make this space feel more upscale.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:37AM
judianna20

I know this isn't your rug color, but I can't get a true picture on my monitor. I would love to see your rug color on the walls. You have so much woodwork that isn't getting its due because your walls are so light. I would paint the back of the bookcases and the wall behind the t v the same color, also.
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 12:16PM
mmhicks
so would blues and greens work? I seem to be drawn to these colors?
2 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 8:44PM
Natalie
Hi---if you wish to introduce green/blue/teal hues, I think you should reconsider your rug. The sofa and wall color are quite warm, so is the rug---pics for inspiration. Good Luck! http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-hearts-ikat/beige/200BHBC12A-508.html
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 9:02PM
Peg Silverwood
Beautiful room to work with. In looking at the set up of the television it appears that it would be a challenge to watch it unless one was laying down on the sofas. Have you considered taking one of the sofa's out and adding two nice occasional chairs? A coffee table with the nice chairs across from each other and the sofa facing the fireplace would work. Even though you don't use the door, when something is propped up against a entrance to some where else, it appears to look like there was an afterthought or the furniture is not fitting the space. You have so much space take advantage of having the doors available to open. a Beautiful Console table behind the sofa to have large candles on to add interest. With the color of the rug, I see beautiful hues of intense dark yellow and small accents of a sea blue color. The gray tones for the back of the bookcase and fireplace would be beautiful and warm. You could incorporate glass apothecary jars filled to be displayed on the bookcases.
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 9:39PM
rod handler
The TV should never be above a FP, period. The black rectangle clashes with the FP opening when it's off, and it competes with the FP if it's on. It's just wrong.
Invest in some art, or at least a big mirror, and stick the TV somewhere else, preferably in another room, like a den or study. If you don't have a spare room, consider converting one of the bookshelf units to a TV cabinet, with doors.
...and the fan. If you don't need it, get rid of it. The ceiling is too low for a fan, and the fan is to "old fashioned" for the room.
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 10:01PM
Darzy
Can you make a L shape with your sofas and one face the tv directly? You can put the little round table in the "corner" with a lamp. I like judyg's idea of wall color, at a minimum painted on the bookcase back. If you can make an L it will free up the french doors, and make room for an accent chair on the left of the FP.

0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:22PM
Dani Pollard
Love the black of the photo above 'Willamette river home'. Be brave and run with that :) Paint all if the walls a brilliant BLACK. And the back of the shelves black. And then the tv won't be so obvious either. And keep all of the woodwork and trims a beautiful gloss white. Also you need a couple of side tables and standing lamps, for atmosphere. Good luck, and Be Brave!
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 1:39AM
cohoek
Hi, please take into effect where your daylight is coming from, its looks like northern light, but this could just be the foto. If it is northern light you should use warmer colors, oranges and yellows, your rug might be too cold looking for this room. if your windows are facing south you could use blues and greys.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 1:53AM
PRO
Lisa Lucas Design
The rug color is "muddy" and the colors you are wanting to introduce are "clean" colors so the rug will need to be changed out to make it work.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 12:02PM
Darzy
Agreewith Lisa Lucas Design and Natalie. If you are drawn to the blues and greens, you really need to change out the rug first. If you need to keep the rug, that is going to dictate your accent colors.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 12:52PM
PRO
Am Construction Service Inc
Hi you need change everyting after luck great living room.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 1:11PM
PRO
Lots of amazing new construction going on! We love to post photos of our projects as they transform into our customer's dream homes.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 1:16PM
Susan Tomaino
Love the gray and the dolpin colors. Lose the area rug go for one with pattern. Pick some vibrate accessories, some large canvas photos with your family and some silver accents.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 1:23PM
dacolling
I wouldn't put a sofa in front of doors and I would probably remove one of the sofas anyway - I would probably position the sofa in front of the FP and add a couple of occasional chairs. I might also remove the rug since it appears to be difficult to draw any color out of it (it looks like it only has two colors).
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 1:25PM
dacolling
Also, consider LARGER items with more color for the book shelves...right now the frames look too small and also there are too many of them on the same shelf. Pair a larger item with a medium and small item to create interest and color.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 1:27PM
PRO
depends what you want that you have to choose what you like
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 1:57PM
dacolling
Check out the 7th photo from the top - this bookcase is beautifully arranged and yours could look just as lovely. http://www.houzz.com/built-in-fireplace-bookcases
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 4:35PM
Sue Ann Stevens
I think the TV is fine where it is but take some time to hide the electrical cord. An electrician or handyman can put an outlet behind it.

I would replace the rug if you can because the muted colors seem to be adding to the drabness factor. Maybe the colors just didn't translate well in the photo? If you want to keep the rug, use the opposite color on a color wheel from the darker color and use that for accent. But use it in several places, on a coffee table, wall art and paint the backs of the shelving.

Nix one couch, place the remaining one opposite the fireplace and use a couple chairs across from each other, next to the couch. Even if the doors aren't used to the office, they should not be blocked. It just looks strange and forbidding. :-)
You may find that you like using that doorway (unless its blocked from the other side as well???)
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 4:54PM
tgrdnr
I think u should definitely move the sofa out from in front of the doors and have it face the fireplace. I wanted to say that right away. As for colors I think you should go with a dusky purple like your rug, and also introduce a dusky orange to warm the place up a bit. It may seem like these colors would clash, but they actually look really great together and make a bold statement. I would use the orange behind the bookshelves for sure; the purple would make it look too drab. I would also move the fireplace from up above your fireplace and replace it with a large picture, preferably featuring purple and orange. You could move the pictures from the wall by the doors and put the TV there instead, either as a wall mount or in a TV cabinet. This would make it so the other couch was facing it directly. You should add interesting throw pillows with fun prints -- at least one of which matching your rug -- themed purple and orange, and perhaps a colorful throw.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 5:03PM
tgrdnr
I think u should definitely move the sofa out from in front of the doors and have it face the fireplace. I wanted to say that right away. As for colors I think you should go with a dusky purple like your rug, and also introduce a dusky orange to warm the place up a bit. It may seem like these colors would clash, but they actually look really great together and make a bold statement. I would use the orange behind the bookshelves for sure; the purple would make it look too drab. I would also move the fireplace from up above your fireplace and replace it with a large picture, preferably featuring purple and orange. You could move the pictures from the wall by the doors and put the TV there instead, either as a wall mount or in a TV cabinet. This would make it so the other couch was facing it directly. You should add interesting throw pillows with fun prints -- at least one of which matching your rug -- themed purple and orange, and perhaps a colorful throw.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 5:04PM
Natalie
100% sure you should bring in the blue and green hues you favor. After that, the furniture, etc. can be reconfigured. Hope this is helpful... :)

[houzz=
]
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 6:03PM