Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Small Bath Needs Major Help
c_elmdesign
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
This small 9x10 bathroom is in need of an update. The client is trying to make cost effective updates in order to try and potentially sell his house.

I was given the task to provide new fixtures (minus the pink giant tub), lighting, paint, and flooring. I need help on how I can make this up to date without changing the dark trim and cabinets.

We can however tile around the tub verse having the dark wood.

Thoughts on vanities or tile that will tie all these things together?

I know we could refinish the dark wood but the door adjacent to the cabinets shown is attached to a bedroom that also has the dark wood.

Help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
c_elmdesign
Please help!
December 29, 2012 at 9:30AM   
PRO
Positive Space Design
I have worked with a pink bathroom before.... I know the feeling your having. I would suggest a very pale grey to tone down the pink but also stay neutral enough to not scare any potential buyers. Get a sink that has a dark almost black wood base (or buy a white one cheap and stain it yourself) and a simple white basin. Stain the doors and below tub the same color. I'm attaching a picture of two different options for the door that leads into the bedroom. 1 is a frosted glass door idea that is light and airy but still has dark wood trim. 2 is a more cost effective way that keeps the same door but would add a large mirror to also bring more light into the space. Glass shelves with brushed chrome hardware keep it light. Good luck!
December 29, 2012 at 9:31AM   
feeny
The wood cabinets and floors are fine. Your homeowner is wasting money changing what doesn't need to be changed when the elephant in the room for any buyer is that pink tub and sink. Just change those to white, take down the wallpaper, and get a framed mirror. It will be neutral enough for resale once the big pink items are gone.
December 29, 2012 at 9:40AM     
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
I concur with Feeny. By combining new finishes for floors and walls with the existing 'dated' items, you may be challenged in rendering a look that will appeal to the average potential buyer/homeowner.
December 29, 2012 at 9:48AM     
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Let the client know that that "first thing" people will comment on is the pink tub. For resale, they should save their money and get that thing reglazed or replaced. The wall paper and the tub are the two things that "date" this bathroom. The rest is fine! If I were a buyer, the first thing I would think is, "Get rid of the tub!". I might even add that into the purchase caveat - remove/refinish the tub or I walk away.
December 29, 2012 at 9:57AM     
PRO
Lisa Lucas Design
I agree that your client is throwing money at the wrong problem. No matter how pretty the rest of the bathroom is, the tub will still be the issue so I suggest showing them estimates for replacing the tub and seeing it as long term investment as a home improvement that will help resale value of the home.
December 29, 2012 at 10:14AM   
c_elmdesign
Thank you all, I have never reglazed a tub, is this process cost effective/easy? I guess I should run the numbers on replacing verse reglazing.
December 29, 2012 at 10:33AM   
PRO
Lisa Lucas Design
Re-glazing is something left to a professional but I would first get estimates on replacing and look at the numbers. Time for getting estimates to get a real picture of the project.
December 29, 2012 at 12:06PM   
PRO
Linda
Does that bathroom need a tub at all? If there's a nice walk-in shower and a tub in a family bath, could this tub be removed and not replaced?
December 29, 2012 at 4:20PM   
kafka65
Agree with the others: address the real issue, namely sink and tub. Not sure about reglazing as the cheapest may simply be to buy new. New drop-in jacuzzi tub is ca $300-500. Replace the pink sink with a vanity and sink that matches wood already there. Here is one for $379: http://www.lowes.com/pd_113027-18456-3020-30V_4294798092%2B4294737235__?productId=3259168&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating%7C1&facetInfo=
New framed mirror, new handles on the cupboard, new neutral wall paint and this bathroom will look great. Nothing more than a weekend of DIY. Would also think about replacing blinds in window with a film - makes for a cozier bathroom.
December 29, 2012 at 4:45PM   
kafka65
Oh, and why would they want new flooring? Wood floors are coming back in bathrooms and kitchens as it's pretty classy, and warmer than tiles.
December 29, 2012 at 4:47PM   
lulamarie
All the pink items and wallpaper should go for sure. If this is the master bathroom, I'm not sure that a pedastal sink is the way to go. I'd rather have a sink with some countertop space. If the stand-up shower is a decent size, perhaps you could get rid of the tub entirely and install a sink vanity in it's place. If it's the only tub in the house though, I'd keep the tub since little kids bathe in tubs. I can't really tell by the photos what's possible.

The hardwood floors are fine.
December 29, 2012 at 5:40PM   
PRO
Positive Space Design
It is obvious that in a ideal situation the tub should come out. However if the client decides not to pull it and hopes you can help assist for a quick facelift good luck. :) Keep us updated with pictures.
December 29, 2012 at 8:55PM