Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
redo our master bath
ben saitz
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
time to redo our master bath. not super large, but want it to look nice and spacious. modern, but not too modern
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Please post pictures and floor plan.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 9:17AM
ben saitz
58 deep x 160 wide. a big rectangle, with a pocket door (that can be removed)
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 9:53AM
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
Thanks for the pics! The first thing you need to determine is if you are happy with the layout. If you are, then it is a little bit of an easier project. You might consider opening up the wall from the sink area to the toilet/shower area, I think it will really enlarge your space and make it feel more modern. If you need to keep a tub, go more modern (look at kohler). A lot of what you can do with your space is determined by your budget. Again, if your going for modern, a sleek sink that runs in one level piece across that wall and then a Corian top with a more square sink, even doing tile up the wall behind the mirror over the sink. I think the very first thing for you to do to start this project along is get a plan. The plan should include what you see happening with the layout, the budget and your preferred time frame, and then do you style research. Start an idea book on houzz of baths (and even kitchens) of things you like. Maybe it is just the lighting or tile in the bathroom that caught your eye or it was the layout that you really liked. But add it to the idea book so that you can really narrow down what your dream space will look like. Good luck and post more questions as you make progress with the space!
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 10:02AM
ben saitz
good points. 1) that wall will likely come down and we want to get rid of the tub.. so that's 2 decisions down :-) i'm unsure if we want 2 sinks with vanities or, as you note, one long one. we like tile for backsplash and other accents, and likely a glass door. thanks for the help!
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 10:12AM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
If you want to minimize your expenditures then keep all the fixtures in their original places, ie. toilet, sink and tub. Assuming the tub is in good condition, keep the tub and replace the tile with something fresh. Large format tiles with a band of deco tiles will minimize grout lines and future maintenance. Replace the vanity cabinets, counters and flooring. If the make-up table concept is not something you have use for, consider adding a tall linen cabinet (with laundry hamper on the bottom?). Delete the med cab on the side wall and potentially replace it with one that recesses into the wall over the sink (assuming there are no vent or waste pipes in the wall) if you think you will benefit from the storage.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 10:18AM
ben saitz
i might keep the sink ones, they are nice. the rest will go! i want mostly new stuff that looks real amazing, and yes - easy to maintain (so not overly done with grout). we have a hamper in the closet, so will try and use the bathroom space to look nice and have some modest storage. thx!
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 10:19AM
Harrut
Hi there, reading your post, this bathroom style came to mind.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 10:25AM
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with opening up the wall for more openness. A furniture type vanity would give a sense of traditional while keeping the color scheme neutral would ensure the bathroom would not feel outdated too soon.

1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 10:25AM
ben saitz
very nice and clean look dytecture! i like the vanity.. we wont have a tub, but there's lots to takeaway there, thx
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 12:37PM