Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help laying out an apartment
Kenneth Clench
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi! I have an apartment lining room that I am attempting to layout as a warm conversation space. The furniture in the pictures are pieces given to me by kind friends to help me furnish my new place but I'm at a loss as to how to layout the room. Sorry for the picture quality. Not omly am I not an interior designer, I am assuredly not a photographer either. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Cheers, Ken.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
hmschoolmom
You have some thoughtful friends to give you some good stuff to start with.

Option 1: If the tv will be your focal point for now, I would either have the sofa/futon(?) face it head on at the angle you've chosen, angle the rug to match the angle of the sofa and place the chairs at either end of it at a 90 degree angle facing each other. Find a suitable coffee table. Lighting should be table height to avoid overhead lighting glare. (at each end of couch if possible)

Option 2: center the tv on the wall w/window, leave sofa where it is and place the recliner and other chairs directly across from the couch, but avoid pressing everything against the walls. :-) Put a table of some sort with lighting between the chairs. All of this can be placed with the rug in the center.

To create a functional, cozy conversation area, some of the seating needs to offer face to face conversation. :-)

To create a cozy
December 29, 2012 at 11:31am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
cavecay
Can you move your tv to another wall? Where the white chair and storage bins are? If so, float your sofa so that it faces the wall where the book shelf is and put your computer desk behind it (you'll have to work w/the direction, you may be facing the wall). We are trying to create two rooms (office and conversation/tv) . Move your bookshelves to where the tv was,etc.
Move the small table to the wall where the sofa was and put the white chair next to it. Put the lamp on the table. Move the recliner (where the tv was but out from the wall, a little) . Put a table cloth or something over the storage bins and use them as a coffee table. If you can't move the tv, try to reverse everything I just said. I hope this helps or at least gets you started. Nothing to loose!!!!
December 29, 2012 at 12:00pm